PDA

View Full Version : Kitless First Cap with Bands

anthonyd
August 15th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I made the body and section a while ago and put it aside. My daughter saw it, claimed it, and asked me to make a cap for it. So I decided that it was a good time to try a cap with bands. So I went off to the hardware store and bought some brass washers. I read over a tutorial by Charles Hutchings and off I went. The nib is a small tubular 6.1 mm Schmidt with a medium point. I am not a fan of the look of these nibs but I bought a bunch of them to practice with. However, they do write well. The blank is an acrylic acetate called purple rain.

Cap to barrel threads M12 X .8 triple start
Section to body M9 X .75
Weight 24 g
Weight filled 26 g
Length capped 6" (15.2 cm)
Length uncapped 5 1/4 "(13 cm)
Length posted 7 " (17.9 cm)
Barrel diameter at widest point 14.05 mm
Cap diameter 14.7 mm
Cap length 67.07 mm
Section at widest point 10.89 mm

All comments are welcome.

Tony

Jeph
August 16th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I am not going to let my girlfriend see this. The cap bands look nice.

ppengel
August 16th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Love it!!! I would have claimed it too, very nice.

KrazyIvan
August 16th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I am not a fan of the acrylic but as far as the design, coupled with the fact it is a first cap band attempt, it is pretty darn cool.

anthonyd
August 16th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I am not going to let my girlfriend see this. The cap bands look nice.

Thanks, my wife and daughter often take the pens with wild colours.
Tony

Love it!!! I would have claimed it too, very nice.

Thanks, I have many of these blanks and was just using this colour for practice.

Tony

I am not a fan of the acrylic but as far as the design, coupled with the fact it is a first cap band attempt, it is pretty darn cool.

I am more of a fan of browns, blues, and greens for my personal collection but I have sold quite a few kit pens with this colour. The ladies seem to like it when it is paired with a feminine kit. Thank you for such a wonderful compliment.
Tony