PDA

View Full Version : Renpei News

Annie
August 16th, 2013, 07:40 AM
If you lost pens and or money please drop me a PM. I need to know what you lost and the date you lost it. You might be in for some good news.

Please do not fill up this thread with endless hot air. Frankly, I'm not interested in hearing from anyone who didn't suffer a material loss and I'll have a huge sense of humour failure with anyone getting this thread closed. I hope that's nice and clear.

Tracy Lee
August 16th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I will be in touch, Annie. Thank you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Annie
August 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I have been asked to supply more information on this cryptic post. I did some digging through publicly available information and made some enquiries. To cut a very long story short, there is a kid out Canada way who is feeling the heat from disgruntled parents right now. I predict Renpei will not be back anytime before he is too old to care. It is highly likely that given ligitimate claims, members of this forum could be reimbursed for their losses, hence my message. I am hopeful that within 5 days, I will get my $130 back.

Obviously, there's a lot more to it than that but I'm sure you get the idea. If you have lost money and or pens, get in touch.

As an aside, huge thanks to Flounder. I couldn't have done it without you. xx

Annie
August 17th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Update: I got back the $130 I lost.

snedwos
August 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Excellent news!

woosang
August 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Ok will OM

woosang
August 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM
D'oh. Pm

Annie
August 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM
D'oh. Pm

Will wait to hear from you. So far, so good. :)

Flounder
August 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Here's to Annie for sticking to her guns all this time.

To the wronguns out there: Mess with one FP Geek, you mess with the whole family :laser:

Annie
August 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Here's to Annie for sticking to her guns all this time.

To the wronguns out there: Mess with one FP Geek, you mess with the whole family :laser:

You make me sound like a mafia boss! I think I'm too small for that.

cwent2
August 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
:)!!

I like mango pudding
August 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Update: I got back the $130 I lost.

:clap2: Way to go Annie!!

KrazyIvan
August 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Just one question. Does this mean all the stuff about not being the person that stole the money and identity theft, keyloggers and the like was a lie?

Chemyst
August 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Just one question. Does this mean all the stuff about not being the person that stole the money and identity theft, keyloggers and the like was a lie?

I doubt that we'll ever find out the truth now.

Penne Stilografiche
August 18th, 2013, 04:02 PM

I would assume so.

aschup
August 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM

http://i.imgur.com/LxxIIzn.jpg

Chemyst
August 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Perhaps, that part all occurred off-site and is murky.

The more troubling parts of the story happened on this site though and they are the darkest part of this whole sorry tale. A couple of adult fountain pen enthusiasts e-stalking, badgering and bullying a child, who may have already been the recent victim of identity theft, is a sad thing indeed. To follow that up by extorting the child's family to end this bullying is nothing to celebrate.

This is a sad commentary indeed, when adults and members of our community will stoop to this level over a few dollars. I don't think there are any winners in this tale and certainly nothing to celebrate.

david i
August 18th, 2013, 06:11 PM
SNIP

The more troubling parts of the story happened on this site though and they are the darkest part of this whole sorry tale. A couple of adult fountain pen enthusiasts e-stalking, badgering and bullying a child, who may have already been the recent victim of identity theft, is a sad thing indeed. To follow that up by extorting the child's family to end this bullying is nothing to celebrate.

This is a sad commentary indeed, when adults and members of our community will stoop to this level over a few dollars. I don't think there are any winners in this tale and certainly nothing to celebrate.

Evidence is invited.

regards

david

Penne Stilografiche
August 18th, 2013, 06:32 PM

I don't know if you have more background information than I do, but as a spectator of Renpei's actions, what you have said seems a little off. There are "winners" in this situation, they are those who have gotten the items stolen from them returned. How can you say anyone was extorting Renpei Chen's family? What are the chances that a lying Canadian kid who "attempted" to scam fellow members of the pen collecting community had his identity stolen by another Canadian scammer, who successfully scammed people in the same way Renpei "attempted" to scam people in the first place? I do not think Annie as well as the other people who were scammed pursued the person who scammed them just to get their items returned, but because it's the principal. I would be very angered if someone stole from me, especially since I have been scammed in the past. I would like to say I did not lose any items in this scam, but I still felt that I had to respond because your comments seem uncalled for.
I have some questions for you.

1) Did you get any property stolen by "Kirk"?
2) Do you happen to personally know Renpei?
3) Is there information that you know that has not been released publically?

If Renpei is proven innocent, than I will take back all that I said above, but as of now, it seems quite obvious to me what has taken place in this scam.

Penne Stilografiche
August 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Also, congratulations Annie!

Annie
August 18th, 2013, 11:59 PM

Yes.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM

I doubt that we'll ever find out the truth now.

Does that matter to you? You are filling in the blanks for yourself. You seem to be unable to follow simple instructions and just want to fill this thread with inaccurate information. In doing so, you have probably made sure this thread will be closed. Well done Chemyst, well done.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 12:14 AM

Ordinarily, I think I'd just put you in my 'Fuckwit' folder. However, you have stated that I have bullied and badgered a child and extorted the child's family. Post your evidence or retract this. I'm waiting and my patience is wearing thin.

KrazyIvan
August 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM

The fact that people are getting their money back, is a sign, at least to me, that the people who got ripped off are finally getting justice. It is also a sign not to mess with this community.

I don't want to get this thread shut down. Actually, I doubt anything I write would get this shut down. I just wanted my question answered and that is enough for me. Thank you Annie for your perseverance.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM

The fact that people are getting their money back, is a sign, at least to me, that the people who got ripped off are finally getting justice. It is also a sign not to mess with this community.

I don't want to get this thread shut down. Actually, I doubt anything I write would get this shut down. I just wanted my question answered and that is enough for me. Thank you Annie for your perseverance.

Ivan, I can fill in a few more blanks if it would help but I'll do so by PM. I want this thread to stay open, at least for the next 24 hours. I want to be completely sure that Chemyst has had a fair and reasonable chance to retract his statement. And now if you will excuse me, I am in the middle of updating the victims since I have current news for them.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
The fact that this entire subject continues to be far less than transparent, with lots of information flowing backchannel that not everyone is privy to, has served to - and will always - guarantee drama. To think otherwise is silly. I'm happy that people who trusted this jerk are being compensated. I also believe that the entire story will never, ever be known.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
The fact that this entire subject continues to be far less than transparent, with lots of information flowing backchannel that not everyone is privy to, has served to - and will always - guarantee drama. To think otherwise is silly. I'm happy that people who trusted this jerk are being compensated. I also believe that the entire story will never, ever be known.

You want to be privy to everything do you? Well that's a bit bleedin' tough. Why, because I am trying to protect one Chinese mother from having to deal with fuckwittery on a grand scale that she would doubtless encounter here.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2013, 12:02 PM
You want to be privy to everything do you?
No, actually, I don't.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 12:08 PM
You want to be privy to everything do you?
No, actually, I don't.

Excellent because it aint happening. As it is, this thread will be closed by tomorrow so folks can go take their popcorn and find something else to read.

Flounder
August 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM
The purpose of this thread was to invite scam victims to PM Annie in re: reclaiming their pens/cash.

Renpei's mother deserves credit for prioritising reimbursements, at a time when discovering her son's behaviour must be something of a shock, or at least an embarrassment. I commend Annie for valuing discretion over public exposure of all the details.

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 12:58 PM

I have asked that you retract your statement regarding bullying and extortion. You have decided not to. Epic fail.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2013, 03:31 PM
The purpose of this thread was to invite scam victims to PM Annie in re: reclaiming their pens/cash.
Right. That lasted for one post, and then Annie started sprinkling in the bits and pieces, contrary to the 'purpose'.

Renpei's mother deserves credit for prioritising reimbursements, at a time when discovering her son's behaviour must be something of a shock, or at least an embarrassment. I commend Annie for valuing discretion over public exposure of all the details.
How about none of the details? That would have kept it completely clean, and would have owned up to the initial 'purpose'. As it is, now we know that the money people are getting is from someone's parents. Or so it seems...

Annie
August 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Right. That lasted for one post, and then Annie started sprinkling in the bits and pieces, contrary to the 'purpose'.

How about none of the details? That would have kept it completely clean, and would have owned up to the initial 'purpose'. As it is, now we know that the money people are getting is from someone's parents. Or so it seems...

Speculation again. Those who lost stuff know the whole nine yards.

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Speculation again.
That would be Flounder. I refuse to speculate, in spite of the posting of partial information and whatnot.

david i
August 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM

You want to be privy to everything do you? Well that's a bit bleedin' tough. Why, because I am trying to protect one Chinese mother from having to deal with fuckwittery on a grand scale that she would doubtless encounter here.

Annie's melodrama at least is entertaining. Not much more than that. But... i value entertainment.

regards

david

david i
August 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM

I have asked that you retract your statement regarding bullying and extortion. You have decided not to. Epic fail.

Tactic 14 from the Losing Debater's Manual.

Just sayin'...

-david

oldstoat
August 20th, 2013, 03:44 AM
OK, let me see if if I've got this straight

Renpei Chen scams people
Many people moan about this but do nothing
Annie actually does something ( a hell of a lot, it would appear) to track him down and get reimbursement to those scammed.
Others then question her actions

Now I know that internet communication is fraught with misinterpretation but it seems that she has performed a public service and that criticism is both unjustified and unfair. Those who stand to get reimbursed will be grateful.

HughC
August 20th, 2013, 05:06 AM
A delicate issue handled rather poorly by the main player in this topic.

heraclitus682
August 20th, 2013, 05:58 AM
FPG needs more moderation. Just saying.

david i
August 20th, 2013, 07:20 AM

There is an "FP..." out there.... how does it end... is it with... an... "N"... that has plenty of moderation, for those who crave it.

Just... sayin' ;)

-d

AndyT
August 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
FPG needs more moderation.

Disagree. People getting off their high horses and biting their tongues once in a while would be no bad thing, however.

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
The fact that it has little to no moderation allows you to... just say things. If you want a more restrictive environment, there are other forums that are perfectly suited for your tastes.

I like mango pudding
August 20th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Geez. this is tame compared to some of the things I've seen in the other forums I visit. Scammers are outed. Members with good IT skills track him down and create websites with his real name and then proceed to shame him publicly on the website. Others post his name, photo, his address, and his workplace publicly, while others email his employer, his family and friends and bombard their facebook and linkedin account with accusations of their scamming ways.

Not saying any of this is right nor do I condone any of this, but this is what was done and this is what could happen.

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Now I know that internet communication is fraught with misinterpretation...
Indeed.

I'll speak only for myself: I am happy, and have said so repeatedly, that there has been a positive resolution in favor of the people who had lost money/items to this person. I don't, though, happen to live in a world of absolutes and black-and-white situations. As I applaud the efforts to bring about this resolution, I also note the inconsistency of asking for no drama while playing things out in a highly dramatic fashion. No one, myself included, should ever be considered in a position to not be questioned. I value feedback, both positive and negative, because it helps me to grow.

I'm sure that is straight-forward enough to be interpreted correctly.

Flounder
August 20th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Not necessarily - I would prefer that members must declare outside interests before posting, in the same way as MPs. For example, I have it on good authority that David's thread replies are sponsored by Loctite.

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I would prefer that members must declare outside interests before posting...
You go first. ;)

Annie
August 20th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Not necessarily - I would prefer that members must declare outside interests before posting, in the same way as MPs. For example, I have it on good authority that David's thread replies are sponsored by Loctite.

That's outrageous! You can't say stuff like that when I'm mid-fill with magenta ink. I'm wearing it now and it was supposed to be inside the TWSBI and not over my desk, hands and screen.

dannzeman
August 20th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Right up until you disagree with said moderation, right?

pencils+pens
August 20th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I think the original post about moderation may not have been a reference to a Moderator. He may have had in mind Benjamin Franklin's moderation: "Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve."

AndyT
August 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I think the original post about moderation may not have been a reference to a Moderator. He may have had in mind Benjamin Franklin's moderation: "Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve."

Good point. If that's how it was intended then I concur.

aschup
August 21st, 2013, 03:34 AM

Right up until you disagree with said moderation, right?
BOOM, HEADSHOT.

Tracy Lee
August 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Five of my six pens deceptively acquired and inappropriately retained have been returned from Canada. All in good condition but clearly used and all are inked. I have some cleaning to do before I decide what to do with them next. Thanks, Annie, figured I would not ever see them again. And thanks to Flounder as well. :):thumbup:

Annie
August 29th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Five of my six pens deceptively acquired and inappropriately retained have been returned from Canada. All in good condition but clearly used and all are inked. I have some cleaning to do before I decide what to do with them next. Thanks, Annie, figured I would not ever see them again. And thanks to Flounder as well. :):thumbup:

Glad they showed up. Will be chasing up payments and pens still outstanding tomorrow...oh wait...today, I mean later today.

KrazyIvan
August 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM
If that is not proof enough that Renpei is the scammer, even after he denied it all, I don't know what is. I am glad you got your pens back Tracy. For those who don't remember Tracy's original sale thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2372-Waterman-(Watermen-)-For-Sale

Tracy Lee
August 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
If that is not proof enough that Renpei is the scammer, even after he denied it all, I don't know what is. I am glad you got your pens back Tracy. For those who don't remember Tracy's original sale thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2372-Waterman-(Watermen-)-For-Sale

Thanks, KI, it seems strange almost. The Blue Phileas was the sixth pen, but they can't find it. Everything has soaked overnight and is clean, so onward and upward as they say. Probably eBay and be done with it. No nibs appear damaged, thank goodness, and the bodies are okay as well. Certainly all the proof I need - what I sent was an odd mix of pens, and I know my pens well. These are them, down to the small area of gold chipped off on the coral pen's section.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Flounder
August 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
In re: the Phileas, maybe in his locker at school?

aschup
September 2nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Vigilante justice is best justice.

snedwos
September 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM

Uh.....

Penne Stilografiche
September 2nd, 2013, 11:26 AM

Can you elaborate?

aschup