PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning / Flushing a vintage Esterbrook LJ

Medievalist
May 11th, 2022, 11:33 AM
This is a restored pen, and a lovely writer.

How do I clean the sack? I've been simply sucking up and ejecting warm water, as if I were filling it with ink.

Is this the best way to flush the ink?

Jon Szanto
May 11th, 2022, 11:58 AM
It isn't the only way, but is certainly the most common one. Of course, any pen with a lever/button fill sac system is a bit laborious, especially if the ink was quite saturated, or if ink dried out inside the sac.

The one thing you *can* do with a vintage Estie, if you like, is to remove the nib and power-flush (with care). The nib unit unscrews, and you can either soak that or run it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then you have the option of a more active flushing of the sac. I have used a blunt needle syringe for years for both filling pens with ink, and then flushing cartridges and converters with water. by filling a syringe, inserting it and then applying a good deal of pressure (squeezing quickly), you can get the ink flushed out quickly.

I finally realized this year that, hey, they probably make these in a higher capaticy - I've always had a 6 ml syringe. So I hopped on eBay and for a couple of bucks ordered three 20 ml syringes. They make larger ones but I thought they might be too big for one-handed use. It works really well, one big flush and they are clean. It would do a great job with the Estis, as would the smaller ones. Just be careful with even a blunt needle, and maybe not has much pressure with the latex sac.

Hope that helps.

Medievalist
May 11th, 2022, 12:36 PM
That helps a lot. Thanks so much.

Farmboy
May 11th, 2022, 02:17 PM
How clean does it need to be?

Jon Szanto
May 11th, 2022, 02:27 PM

Giving a serious answer as to my personal use: the water coming out of a pen has to be clear enough that it won't tint the next ink if a different color. I can deel with less-flushed out if re-inking after many uses or using a similar ink (i.e. just making sure to dilute and flush any old ink build-up). I don't use overly-saturated inks, pigment inks, or inks with any particulates (glitter/shimmer) in a sac-filling pen. I don't feel a pen has to be clean enough to administer IV fluids or serve Sunday tea on.

Medievalist
May 11th, 2022, 02:47 PM

Giving a serious answer as to my personal use: the water coming out of a pen has to be clear enough that it won't tint the next ink if a different color. I can deel with less-flushed out if re-inking after many uses or using a similar ink (i.e. just making sure to dilute and flush any old ink build-up). I don't use overly-saturated inks, pigment inks, or inks with any particulates (glitter/shimmer) in a sac-filling pen. I don't feel a pen has to be clean enough to administer IV fluids or serve Sunday tea on.

I do like to sometimes use a different ink, but I think it's good to rinse the pen even if I'm using the same ink.

pajaro
May 11th, 2022, 10:32 PM
If you fill the pen and then flush it a few times the flushed water should come fairly clear. Some inks might put you to more trouble. I usually don't want to fill and flush in very many cycles, so as not to wear the sac out. Each pen user will have a personal level of fastidiousness. I have gone through different levels myself, and now I rarely use any of these pens. I just like to look at the things now.

Robalone
May 12th, 2022, 04:47 AM
Agree with the same ink in the same pen thing……
And I’m one of those loonies that only puts blue ink in a blue pen , red in a red pen etc.
being in OZ , in summer my pens do dry out when they don’t get used for a few days 🤣 so I flush a bit before refilling , otherwise it ink gets more and more concentrated .

I’ve always wondered if the proprietary 'pen flush' people sell is better that water ?!

welch
July 6th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Agree with the same ink in the same pen thing……
And I’m one of those loonies that only puts blue ink in a blue pen , red in a red pen etc.
being in OZ , in summer my pens do dry out when they don’t get used for a few days 🤣 so I flush a bit before refilling , otherwise it ink gets more and more concentrated .

I’ve always wondered if the proprietary 'pen flush' people sell is better that water ?!

Well, "pen flush" is usually 10% ammonia, so it cleans a little more than plain water. (I usually make my own, since ammonia is cheap and water is free)

Runnin_Ute
October 29th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Water and a bulb syringe. Unscrew nib, flush run nib under water, screw it back in.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wellos
April 27th, 2024, 10:52 PM
I admit, I never liked the process of cleaning anything. Therefore, when I was faced with the need to clean carpets, I immediately started looking on the Internet for professional help. And I found the company carpet cleaning glasgow (https://www.back2newcarpetcleaning.co.uk/) and I can say that on their website I was very impressed with the photos of carpets before and after cleaning. After their services, my carpets began to look like new and the original brightness of the color returned. In general, I'm pleased.