PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-english-language movie?

Lloyd
May 26th, 2022, 08:38 PM
Most conversations here involve movies made in the English language. Do you happen to have one or more favorite movies that are in another language other than English? While I have many contenders, my number one by a long way is 1950's "Ordet". The imagery, message, pacing, and uniqueness I found unforgettable and opinion-changing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
May 26th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Nice query. I am certain that there are many here with broader and deeper experience in the non-English film world than I. It has always been, for me, the films that touched my heart that I've remembered the most. Along those lines, I would then have to pick Babette's Feast, a Danish film from 1987, as a high point.

Prettypenguin
May 26th, 2022, 11:44 PM
I really enjoyed El Libro de Piedra, a Mexican horror film from 1969. There was a remake of the film in 2009, but I haven’t seen it. Cinema Paradiso from 1988 is a beautiful movie.

Robalone
May 27th, 2022, 03:05 AM
I haven’t watched very many , but one that I have downloaded is 'Paris je t'aime' Not normally the kind of movie I’m into , but this one I found strangely attractive.

Sailor Kenshin
May 27th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Spin the Studio Ghibli Miyazaki wheel. Pick one at random.

catbert
May 27th, 2022, 08:09 AM
Too many to choose from. Favourite so far this year: Petite Maman (https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/21/petite-maman-review-celine-sciamma-heartbreakingly-hopeful-fairytale-for-all-ages).

fqgouvea
May 27th, 2022, 08:29 AM
Tampopo. It is funny and weird and touching. A “noodle Western”, one could say.

fqgouvea
May 27th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Tampopo. It is funny and weird and touching. A “noodle Western”, one could say.

But of course there are many other good ones. I liked “Babette’s Feast” a lot. Both “Jean de Florette” and “Manon des Sources” were worth watching.

This from someone who rarely watches any movies…

Chip
May 27th, 2022, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=fqgouvea;366093] Both “Jean de Florette” and “Manon des Sources” were worth watching.

Favouites of mine, too.

manoeuver
May 30th, 2022, 10:51 AM
A Town Called Panic is one of my favorite movies, ever. Panique Au Village is the original French title.

it's animated with action-figure looking characters and is scream-laugh funny.

so good I'll show it to kids who don't speak french or read anything yet and they can't look away. avoid any english-dubbed versions, the original voice acting is half the charm.

jar
May 30th, 2022, 06:59 PM
A trio of foreign language films stand out. First and maybe the most lasting was Orfeu Negro. I saw it in 1959 as a young high school junior. It was one of the films our English teacher took the boarders in town to see. Before Orfeu Negro it had been Wild Strawberries and somewhat later The Virgin Spring. As a group they were awakening experiences for a young man.

Lloyd
May 30th, 2022, 09:37 PM
A trio of foreign language films stand out. First and maybe the most lasting was Orfeu Negro. I saw it in 1959 as a young high school junior. It was one of the films our English teacher took the borders in town to see. Before Orfeu Negro it had been Wild Strawberries and somewhat later The Virgin Spring. As a group they were awakening experiences for a young man.
While all three are great, I loved "Orfeu Negro", jar.

BlkWhiteFilmPix
May 31st, 2022, 11:06 AM
Joyeux Noël (https://vimeo.com/150340489), based on the 1914 Christmas truce during World War 1.

Coffee in Berlin (https://youtu.be/e9By3IQrzfM). A quirky comedy filmed in black and white.

Yazeh
May 31st, 2022, 03:44 PM
There are films that mark us for life, either positively or negatively.
But to mention only one film it's impossible.
And then with maturity our taste changes.

I loved Autumn Sonata and Fanny and Alexander (the movie not the TV version). Two intense Bergman films, I'm not sure, I can watch again.
There are too many French films to list, The Great Illusion, and almost anything written by the Bacri/ Jaoui team. (A taste of others, Family affair, Same old song), The Fanny Trilogy.

I'll stop here as the list is long...

Lloyd
May 31st, 2022, 07:20 PM

I loved Autumn Sonata and Fanny and Alexander (the movie not the TV version). Two intense Bergman films, I'm not sure, I can watch again.
There are too many French films to list, The Great Illusion, and almost anything written by the Bacri/ Jaoui team. (A taste of others, Family affair, Same old song), The Fanny Trilogy.

Here, it's called "The Grand Illusion"... and it's great. I know there's mountains of great movies in many languages, just so few non-English ones get mentioned here. I'm not sure why, but somehow "Ordet" rise above them all for me.

Yazeh
May 31st, 2022, 08:03 PM

Here, it's called "The Grand Illusion"... and it's great. I know there's mountains of great movies in many languages, just so few non-English ones get mentioned here. I'm not sure why, but somehow "Ordet" rise above them all for me.

I remember seeing his Passion of Joan of arc. . One of the most memorable films I ever saw.... powerful..

Lloyd
May 31st, 2022, 09:09 PM

I remember seeing his Passion of Joan of arc. . One of the most memorable films I ever saw.... powerful..
The cinematography in JoA was so amazing.

Jon Szanto
May 31st, 2022, 09:11 PM

Ah, yes... some of the arch over-acting of the period, but the actress who portrayed Joan was intensely affecting. I will have to find Grand Illusion / Ordet.

While on French cinema, I don't know that this belongs in the pantheons of great films but I recently saw one I had been meaning to for ages: "City of Lost Children". Very well done, certainly in imagery and a couple of the main characters. Also a bonus to find the music by Angelo Badalamenti.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 31st, 2022, 10:22 PM
[22.1615-1616/07.1.6]

days of being wild /Wong kar-wai

in the mood for love /Wong kar-wai

2046 /Wong kar-wai

red cliff /john woo

futtock's end /bob kellet

themroc /claude farraldo

christof
May 31st, 2022, 11:17 PM
Favorite non-english-language movie?

…too many great movies to mention them all. Just one that I recently watched again:

LA GRANDE BELLEZZA by Paolo Sorrentino

Yazeh
June 1st, 2022, 08:24 AM
Several great German films:

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. (1920)
Metropolis / M by Fritz Lang.
Run Lola Run, Tom Tkywer
Lives of Others / Never Look Away by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck...

christof
June 1st, 2022, 10:09 AM
another excellent italian movie: PRANZO DI FERRAGOSTO

Lloyd
June 1st, 2022, 12:25 PM

Run Lola Run, Tom Tkywer
Peter Lorre's depiction of fear in "M" was unforgettable. He was phenomenal....

Yazeh
June 1st, 2022, 12:30 PM
Wasn't he? He was also memorable in Casablanca and Arsenic and old lace. Such a mobile face and body...

An old bloke
June 1st, 2022, 01:09 PM

Run Lola Run, Tom Tkywer
Peter Lorre's depiction of fear in "M" was unforgettable. He was phenomenal....

Peter Lorre in my opinion was a very underrated, underappreciated superb actor. He was truly a great talent.

SIR
June 1st, 2022, 02:38 PM
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (!!!)

one of only two or three films I have ever been to see in the cinema more than once :)

calamus
June 5th, 2022, 12:07 AM
I haven't watched any of his movies lately, but I remember very much enjoying several by Ingmar Bergman. Seventh Seal and The Magician come to mind. And of course there's Kurasowa's Rashomon, and perhaps my all-time non-English favorite, Gojira:

https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/gojira_1954_poster_3.jpg?w=788

ethernautrix
June 5th, 2022, 09:01 AM
Several come to mind:

Diva (French)
Cocktail Molotov (French)
Dziewczyna z szafy (Polish)
Betty Blue (French)
Stranger Than Paradise (not non-English, but could have been, haha)
Run Lola Run (German)
After Life (Japanese)
and another Japanese movie the title of which escapes me, begins with M... gorgeous cinematography
Oh! Of course, Tampopo! (Japanese)

Sailor Kenshin
June 5th, 2022, 11:46 AM
I haven't watched any of his movies lately, but I remember very much enjoying several by Ingmar Bergman. Seventh Seal and The Magician come to mind. And of course there's Kurasowa's Rashomon, and perhaps my all-time non-English favorite, Gojira:

https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/gojira_1954_poster_3.jpg?w=788

Scared me to death as a kid. Gojira-sama, not Rashomon.

We have a copy of Orpheo Negro and watched it not long ago. Eerie. Great music.