PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you are banned from Fpn?

RobJohnson
May 29th, 2022, 10:19 AM
If you cannot sign in to FPN, even with a new password, and you see the message 'you did not pass the security test' does this mean that you are banned?

Would you expect that Fpn would always send an email confirming any ban?

Tia

Wile E Coyote
May 29th, 2022, 11:39 AM
If you cannot sign in to FPN, even with a new password, and you see the message 'you did not pass the security test' does this mean that you are banned?

Tia

I think the FPN badge of honor (aka banned status) is when you can login, but can't post.

RobJohnson
May 29th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Thank you Sir.

I cannot log in nor contact the Admin.

Not to worry.

Appreciate your response.

Chrissy
May 29th, 2022, 01:25 PM

The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.

Edited to add: I can confirm that several years ago I eventually received an email from Wim stating that he was the only person on FPN who could actually ban (rather than suspend) anyone and that he would send no emails as confirmation of it. At the time he was aware that not all members received automatic private messages about suspensions due to a glitch.

RobJohnson
May 29th, 2022, 01:43 PM
I think that this might have happened,

Ah well.

Chip
May 29th, 2022, 05:29 PM
Some websites have an outside option (try a search) for contacting the admin. I used that to get logged back in to a writing website that had shut me out for no reason.

They asked me a few questions to verify my identity, then I was able to get back on.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 29th, 2022, 05:50 PM
[22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

The only person who can ban someone from FPN is the Admin (Wim) and he wouldn't send an email confirming it - he would just do it.

The response-creator self-labelled as Chrissy is incorrect.

Emails are sent from the site-creator self-labelled Wim and/or another [unspecified] entity with responsibility for administration.

Banned site-members are labelled as [away] near the avatar.

Lloyd
May 29th, 2022, 06:38 PM
I can still login at FPN

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
May 29th, 2022, 06:53 PM
IIRC, I was suspended from posting for a 2-week period once, but I could still log in. Ghost Plane contacted me, though I don't know if they were the one to enact the suspension. In any event, I was able to msg with GP to discuss the matter but not post to the forums, etc. What a funny place that has been over the years.

RobJohnson
May 29th, 2022, 07:41 PM
IIRC, I was suspended from posting for a 2-week period once, but I could still log in. Ghost Plane contacted me, though I don't know if they were the one to enact the suspension. In any event, I was able to msg with GP to discuss the matter but not post to the forums, etc. What a funny place that has been over the years.

Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

If I am banned then okay.

Thanks all for the comments and thoughts.

Jon Szanto
May 29th, 2022, 09:32 PM
It was also claimed that my thread was both gender specific and non inclusive, which is a fair comment and true, it was about men's clothing, shoes and accessories including watches, pens and so on, there is not much that I can say about that if that is a valid criticism.

The word logic does not contain "FPN", and vice versa.

Chrissy
May 29th, 2022, 11:56 PM
[22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

Emails are sent from the site-creator self-labelled Wim and/or another [unspecified] entity with responsibility for administration.

This information is inaccurate.

Chrissy
May 30th, 2022, 12:04 AM
Thank you, yes certainly is a funny place. I can still read the posts in all places apart from Chatter, there looks to be a lot less traffic than in the past.

I think that the ban was due to my posting a thread in Chatter which used an image from GQ about stylish clothing and accessories for men, it included a notebook, pen and other things that I like. The discussion went on for six pages, simply continuing the idea of style and modern man, then someone made a racist icomment, I reported it and asked for the post to be removed. It was removed but then Wim decided in a big grey message that I was to blame at least in part because I had started a thread which could result in someone, one person, making a racist comment that had little or nothing to do with thread.

If you can go in and read posts then you could go and find your ID and see if you're marked as "Away" on there. If you're not and it's only a log-in problem than you can contact admin somewhere for sure. I don't use the place so I have no idea where it might be.

Edited to add that there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the main forum page that you can click on

Empty_of_Clouds
May 30th, 2022, 12:56 AM
[22.1854-1855/05.30.5]

[22.1146-1147/30.30.5]

This information is inaccurate.

post-creator offers data from direct experience

message was sent to post-creator on alternate website by entity with responsibility for administration of website

status of post-creator was altered to [away] on avatar

data is correct

response-creator self-labelled Chrissy remains incorrect

RobJohnson
May 30th, 2022, 01:15 AM

If you can go in and read posts then you could go and find your ID and see if you're marked as "Away" on there. If you're not and it's only a log-in problem than you can contact admin somewhere for sure. I don't use the place so I have no idea where it might be.

Edited to add that there is a Contact Us link at the bottom of the main forum page that you can click on

Thanks.

The Contact Us message service adds to my thinking that there may be a ban even preventing contact. There are three boxes and all must be completed, the Message box will not allow me add anything.

It could be a software issue, not sure.

I think I will try on someone else's computer and see what happens.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Sailor Kenshin
May 30th, 2022, 12:43 PM

Thanks.

The Contact Us message service adds to my thinking that there may be a ban even preventing contact. There are three boxes and all must be completed, the Message box will not allow me add anything.

It could be a software issue, not sure.

I think I will try on someone else's computer and see what happens.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

If you wanted, couldn't you create another account?

RobJohnson
May 30th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Well, yes I could but I only have one email address and I don't have enough motivation to go to the faff of creating a new email account and a new Fpn identity. Nice thought though, thanks for that.

I tried to sign in on another computer belonging to a friend and had the same message 'I did not pass the security test', whatever that may be.

I read some of the posts and dear me, they are dull to the nth degree, tedious dreary posts that serve no purpose at all.

But thank you for your thoughts and ideas, I suspect that I have been banned and I cannot say that I will lose sleep over that.

Chip
May 30th, 2022, 01:46 PM
I think my FPN account is still active, but I haven't logged on in years.

I got pretty upset at the auto-censor thing that would chop out combinations of letters that the cyber-grannies found objectionable. Like the first part of shitake mushrooms.

A Brit friend called it "a terminal case of the teacakes."

Jon Szanto
May 30th, 2022, 03:21 PM
A Brit friend called it "a terminal case of the teacakes."

:pound:

Lloyd
May 30th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Shiitake, not shitake.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220530/74a645f99ab0bb897c6cc7ff5ffa17a1.jpg

Jon Szanto
May 30th, 2022, 03:52 PM
Chip has been auto-corrected, once again!

Wile E Coyote
May 30th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Shiitake, not shitake.

Not to be a Richard, but...
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMKuE2Goa9kwgOQysC3jVBRWFII8Yrr206UZ9GX
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hCkiQ7qdkLYgNFrT9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hCkiQ7qdkLYgNFrT9

TSherbs
May 30th, 2022, 05:43 PM
What's a "Richard"? Never heard of that....

Stands on Feet
May 30th, 2022, 06:01 PM

Richard has a nickname. :)

Ron Z
May 30th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Did the OP have the same user name on FPN?

TSherbs
May 30th, 2022, 07:22 PM

HA! And I have the most vulgar of mouths...

Thx

Lloyd
May 30th, 2022, 09:07 PM

HA! And I have the most vulgar of mouths...

Thx
Maybe it isn't vulgar enough?

RobJohnson
May 30th, 2022, 09:54 PM
Sorry to be a thick d.ick but I don't get the 'tea cakes' comment, can someone explain please?

I know what a teacake is in terms of confectionary, a half sphere 2 inch diameter cake with a crumb base filled with marshmallow and covered in chocolate but used in this context I feel like I am missing out on a good joke, just like not being able to get in to FPN.

Jon Szanto
May 30th, 2022, 10:01 PM
Sorry to be a thick d.ick but I don't get the 'tea cakes' comment, can someone explain please?

I know what a teacake is in terms of confectionary, a half sphere 2 inch diameter cake with a crumb base filled with marshmallow and covered in chocolate but used in this context I feel like I am missing out on a good joke, just like not being able to get in to FPN.

I took it to mean a reaction similar to when one would refer to a person "clutching their pearls" - i.e. being offended over the slightest little thing, needlessly. It that isn't the intent, I'd be curious as well.

RobJohnson
May 30th, 2022, 10:06 PM

I took it to mean a reaction similar to when one would refer to a person "clutching their pearls" - i.e. being offended over the slightest little thing, needlessly. It that isn't the intent, I'd be curious as well.

Thanks Jon, that makes sense.

A terminal case of the snowflakes I would have understood!

christof
May 31st, 2022, 12:06 AM
Hello Rob
please let us know your nickname on FPN. Then we can have a look what happened.
C

RobJohnson
May 31st, 2022, 01:27 AM
Hello Rob
C

This has been checked already thanks Christof, found out just this morning I am marked down as Away.

I can live with that.

christof
May 31st, 2022, 01:31 AM
Hello Rob
C

This has been checked already thanks Christof, found out just this morning I am marked down as Away.

I can live with that.

OK. I must have missed that.

That would annoy me. I am not often on FPN, but visit the LAMY or Pelikan subforum from time to time. Interesting posts have become rare, but still...

Chrissy
May 31st, 2022, 01:41 AM
Hello Rob
C

I can live with that.
Did that just happen without any contact from anyone?

Jon Szanto
May 31st, 2022, 02:25 AM
http://www.theatricalindex.com/media/cimage/subshows/come-from-away/come-from-away-bway/poster_logo.jpg

RobJohnson
May 31st, 2022, 03:43 AM
Hello Rob
C

I can live with that.
Did that just happen without any contact from anyone?

More or less, there certainly wasn't a contact in the sense of 'because you have done x we are going to restrict you or ban you'. There was a grey box warning in relation to a thread which it was thought was too gender specific (it was about accessories for men) and another which was innocent enough but someone made a racist comment six pages in, I asked for its removal and it was removed but I was critiqued for starting a threat which some nutcase could add a racist comment. I complained to Wim, heard nothing back. For many months, perhaps a year, I couldn't even read posts. For the past month or so I can read the posts but cannot sign in even with a new password. I am given the message, 'did not pass the security test'.

Actually, and I do appreciate the offers of assistance, I am past caring. There was a time when the forum was bright and interesting but that ship has sailed along with many experts and knowledgable people.

Thank you for your time.

TSherbs
May 31st, 2022, 03:57 AM
That's too bad, RJ. And yes, traffic there has certainly declined since the sale forum closed.

eachan
May 31st, 2022, 05:10 AM
When Deb was banned - I think that was in 2014 - there was no communication, she just couldn't log in. There was something of a mass banning at that time when Wim threw his toys out of the pram. I've never been banned. I just had enough of the Wim-ego and didn't go back. By that time the quality of the discussion had declined as most of the real experts had been kicked out. FPN had the potential to be great but Wim ensured that it never was.

RobJohnson
May 31st, 2022, 05:54 AM
To be given the keys to the biggest pen site with the potential to be a world class resource and then alienate the best people in terms of knowledge and experience is just a shameful act, I would be embarrassed.

The ultimate joke was to start charging people to come and see the empty rooms.

christof
May 31st, 2022, 06:11 AM
To be given the keys to the biggest pen site with the potential to be a world class resource and then alienate the best people in terms of knowledge and experience is just a shameful act, I would be embarrassed.

Since you as the OP expanded the discussion, I allow myself to interject that FPN is still a quite impressive database.

It is true that in the last few years the number of valuable contributions has declined sharply. But all the articles already written are still there. And I also see a similar trend in the other forums I visit.

Not many people today take the time to prepare interesting content to share it. This change in behavior certainly has more complex causes than just the mismanagement of FPN.

eachan
May 31st, 2022, 06:43 AM
That's true, christof. Probably most of the best writing on this very limited subject has already been done. I should try to do more here but keeping our blog going uses up most of my declining creativity. Every now and again I will see a pen here or on my desk that fills me with enthusiasm. I should make more of those occasions.

Empty_of_Clouds
May 31st, 2022, 06:44 AM
[22.0041-0041/57.1.6]

response-creator self-labelled christof stated /Not many people today take the time to prepare interesting content to share it/

data indicates declining compulsion as a factor of time for significant percentage of organic population within shared frame space

RobJohnson
May 31st, 2022, 07:42 AM

Since you as the OP expanded the discussion, I allow myself to interject that FPN is still a quite impressive database.

It is true that in the last few years the number of valuable contributions has declined sharply. But all the articles already written are still there. And I also see a similar trend in the other forums I visit.

Not many people today take the time to prepare interesting content to share it. This change in behavior certainly has more complex causes than just the mismanagement of FPN.

This is true, but keeping the enthusiasm going can be difficult, especially when you see that 90% of the moderators/management make little or no useful content.

Stands on Feet
May 31st, 2022, 07:52 AM
You're right. I never just go there, but a Google search often sends me there.

FredRydr
May 31st, 2022, 09:31 AM

This is true, but keeping the enthusiasm going can be difficult, especially when you see that 90% of the moderators/management make little or no useful content.
With one notable exception: the Repair subforum. Alas, I don't go to FPN much anymore, either. I expect one day I'll say the same about FPG. Things evolve.

RobJohnson
May 31st, 2022, 10:00 AM
Agreed, the repair forum was the reason for the 90 as opposed to 100%

Chrissy
May 31st, 2022, 12:33 PM
Agreed the Repair subforum on FPN is always worth a visit. However, thankfully, we now have Ron here too. :thumb:

Cyril
June 12th, 2022, 09:00 AM
If you want to get banded go to the Politic and Religion forms sites. Just say anything and there are lot opinionated characters run a particular show there. They make you feel very offensive and want to go off line with senseless answers... I am testing those forum one in a way for fun.

Kaputnik
June 12th, 2022, 03:15 PM
This is not directly related, although I have read this thread with interest. I haven't made any resolution to stay away from FPN, but just haven't bothered with it for a while. Looking at my profile there just now, I see that my last two posts were on Dec. 20th of last year, both in the paper and pen paraphernalia section. I have read a bit there from time to time, but haven't been motivated to join in, and before today, probably hadn't been there in a few weeks.

I did once get censored in another forum, though, for linking to FPN. The site "Badger and Blade" has a subforum, "The Nib", devoted to writing instruments. In a discussion on souvenir ballpoints there, I once linked to an FPN thread which had interesting related information. A B&B moderator edited out the portion of my post with the link and the mention of FPN, and informed me that I was going against their policies by promoting a competing discussion group. I thought that this was incredibly petty. At least FPG has never censored me for linking to another site, nor, in my personal experience, has FPN done so.

FredRydr
June 12th, 2022, 03:26 PM
...At least FPG has never censored me for linking to another site, nor, in my personal experience, has FPN done so.
FPN blocked links to FPGeeks, but not the other way 'round.

Stands on Feet
June 12th, 2022, 04:50 PM
That is petty.

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2022, 05:20 PM
...At least FPG has never censored me for linking to another site, nor, in my personal experience, has FPN done so.

They did?

TSherbs
June 12th, 2022, 05:52 PM

They did?

yeah, I remember that

Cyril
June 18th, 2022, 05:50 AM

I am lucky then. Some times back... I have done some links on a calligraphy pen from FPN to FPG . I did not know this "rivalry' exist. They must stay cousins!!!!! :cheers:
I am not gonne do it again!!! I promise!!!! with all the respect!!!!

Pendragon
June 20th, 2022, 12:25 AM
No, it means you are fortunate.