PDA

View Full Version : A Handwritten Handwriting Help Thread

eriquito
January 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM

klpeabody
January 31st, 2012, 12:30 PM
this is great, Eric. I have been trying to improve my handwriting by using Fred Eager's, The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting. Down the road, I may have something to contribute; I have not yet tackled the capital letter "A" in my exercises. =)

gordyt
January 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Eric I'll post my samples when I get a chance. I have been working out of the book Write Now: The Complete Program For Better Handwriting, by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay.

eriquito
February 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have been working out of the book Write Now: The Complete Program For Better Handwriting, by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay.

Hi gordyt,

Thanks for the book tip. I've had a look at it on-line. Will the book help with cursive in general? It seems slanted toward cursive italic (pun intended).

bomgd3
February 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Here's a quick sample of my capital letters from my Pelikan.

eriquito
February 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ah, the entire alphabet at once. Great idea!

I am supposedly able to post a pic here directly via Tap-a-Talk. We'll see =)

gordyt
February 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hi gordyt,

Thanks for the book tip. I've had a look at it on-line. Will the book help with cursive in general? It seems slanted toward cursive italic (pun intended).

Eric it definitely teaches just italic and cursive italic, and the cursive italic seems to fit my capabilities and preferences better than anything else I've tried. The distinguishing characteristic of cursive italic seems to be the elimination of anything that is not needed for clarity in one's writing. For example lower-case letters l and d have no loop in them. Same for the descenders in lower-case letters y, g and q.

It does present multiple options, particularly with regards to joins, where appropriate.

Walter
February 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://www.cep.pdx.edu/samples/wnow66.pdf

http://handwritingsuccess.com/images/sample%20pages/Write%20Now%20samples.pdf

eriquito
February 8th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Walter,

Excellent links! Thank you kindly!!

OcalaFlGuy
February 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Eric, I think first, as already evidenced here, you have a decision to make.

That being whether you are wanting to perfect your cursive writing or begin to transition to an italic style.

I don't know about you but at this time in my life I have no real desire to adopt a new completely different style of writing.
OTOH, the very most prominent reason I got back into FP's was to help save my rapidly deteriorating cursive writing. (A
good bit of my issue was not completely switching back to cursive from all caps from drafting classes years ago.)

On this front there is both good and bad news.

The bad news first is that there really isn't any better way to clean up your writing than the way you first learned it, repetitive
practice focusing on the mechanics of HOW you are writing. (Not WHAT you are writing.) The good news is that it really doesn't
take that much practice to notice improvements. You aren't really having to learn anything new, just bring back into focus
something you already learned some time ago. There are also more fun ways to do it now that with that crappy grade school paper
and the "Bill Cosby pencil" (that you rest on your shoulder, "A, B, C, teacher can I have another piece of paper?" :p ).

Do some Googling for Cursive writing practice sheet or some such. I found this where you can type in the letters, words, paragraphs
you want to practice and the site prints the example out in perfect cursive for you to practice against. There are all kinds of sites
with helps like this that might make the practice more fun.

http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/flash/cursive/index.htm

You can also do some searching on Palmer handwriting practice as that's the proper name for the type of cursive writing most of us
were taught in school.

You might also check out this site I've used before to print out practice lines on nice paper. You can adjust you line heights and
darkness. http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/writing/

HTH,

Bruce in Ocala, FL

gordyt
February 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Eric I just listened to episode 11. Thank you for reminding my that I owed you an "A" sample.

On a side note thanks to Dan for the Tapatalk info. I just purchased the app and this is my first post using that app. I hope the photo comes through OK. If not I will repost the old-fashioned way.

I left the first (tiny) image that Tapatalk uploaded...

--g

eriquito
February 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Eric I just listened to episode 11. Thank you for reminding my that I owed you an "A" sample.

Hey gordyt!

Thanks for the writing samples, both tiny and large =) I'm certainly going to have to try my hand at italic!

Sorry Tapatalk is being such a pill. We do hope to straighten that out. It would be SO convenient to be able to upload non-postage-stamp sized images.

=) Eric

lucasmines
February 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM
This is a sample of my everyday cursive... It's written very quickly, and it can be rather sloppy at times.

Maestroram
February 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Here is my first effort at posting a picture along with my writing sample.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.353348,-111.059020

Eshanya
July 21st, 2013, 01:28 AM

HI all
I am new here. My handwriting is not neat and needs lot of improvement. i got exams to write within 2 months. i want to improve my handwriting before i give my exams.So please guide me. My email id is eshanya@gmail.com
Thank You
Eshanya