PDA

View Full Version : Standard Get-to-know-you-type Helloings from yipe, and a story

yipe
August 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Hello FPGeeks. I'm very new to fountain pens. Right now all I have are a few pilot varsities (two blue ones and a troublesome one in black) that have been sitting around nearly a decade, and a calligraphy pen with three interchangable section+nib units, in (I believe, from memory) 0.8, 1.1 and 1.5 italic. That one has some problems not starting or skipping, less so when I use ink other than the standard international cartridges it came with. It did come with a converter, but right now it has one of those cartridges in it, which is filled with a mixture of the generic brown the cartridge was shipped with, mixed with a bit of Pelikan Brilliant black, which is the only other ink I own. That mixture results in a brown-black that I rather like and that flows much better than the brown on it's own.

Yesterday I ordered an FPR Dilli, green with their fine stub nib, that will be my first real pen, and I also ordered a handful of ink samples from Goulet Pens.

Let me tell you the story of the first fountain pen I ever used. This took place nearly a decade ago, my first few days at university. It was a dirt cheap cartridge Parker that I picked up in either the bookstore at school or a big box store like Wal-mart, I'm not sure which. I pulled it out of it's package and put it in my bag, and thought nothing of it. Later that day I meet with my adviser, and discuss my class schedule. He has a few forms I need to sign too. At this point I excitedly pull out my new fountain pen, and put nib to paper. Nothing. I scratch a bit at it, try a few times, and no ink will come out. I say aloud "stupid fountain pen!" I unscrew the section and I immediately facepalm as I see the problem. No cartridge, I forgot to put it in! My advisor sees I'm having trouble and hands me a Bic ballpoint. I feel stupid but I sign the paper and that's that. About one year later I see this same man talking to a group of students, and he proudly declares that he is a huge collector of fountain pens. I turned bright red, and that embarrassment kept me away from fountain pens for a long while!

Tracy Lee
August 18th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Greetings, Yipe, and welcome. I bet we all have our embarrassing stories along the way, but glad you are past it and moving forward. Lots of good help and input here, so come on in, the ink is fine. :sly::)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

cwent2
August 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
:welcome:

writingrav
August 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the madness Yipe. Indulge until the embarrassment is blotted from memory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jeph
August 18th, 2013, 01:24 PM
:welcome:
I expected that story to end with you covering him in ink. That might have made you wait 20 years instead of 10. Glad you made it.

jacksterp
August 18th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Glad you joined.

Have a blast and post lots of pics.!

fountainpenkid
August 18th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome!

yipe
August 18th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Thank you everyone!

I already have my eye on a few more lower end pens, but I'll have to wait at least until these orders arrive. I think the Noodler's Ahab is in my near future if I could just decide on a color.

I'm kind of coming upon love of fountain pens from calligraphy. I'm noticing not a lot of italic or calligraphic nibs out there. I'd like to have a bit of that calligraphic line variation in my everyday writing. That's what I want from my pens. I'm not finding a lot, especially not in my price range.

KrazyIvan
August 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM
:welcome: to the board and Dark Side. :)

Greg Minuskin
August 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Welcome!

You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks great people, and if you need anything that I can assist you with, please let me know.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com