PDA

View Full Version : Why do you come here?

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 01:31 AM
I have a sincere question to ask "the regulars" in this subforum. I'm not intending to irk anyone nor alter anyone's life.
Life is short; our time is scarce. Aside from a very rare occasion, virtually zero opinions are altered, there's heaps of predictable redundancy, there's almost no kindness, and I seldom sense anyone is made happier from coming here. So, why do you spend so much time here? This is not a rhetorical question.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

Empty_of_Clouds
June 20th, 2022, 01:42 AM
I'm limited in my options for conversation.

This place was much nicer a few years ago. It's value has diminished considerably, but it is still one of the very few options available to me.

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 02:03 AM
I'm limited in my options for conversation.

This place was much nicer a few years ago. It's value has diminished considerably, but it is still one of the very few options available to me.
Available for what? There's more forums on the net than stars in the sky.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 20th, 2022, 02:06 AM
Pen forums?

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 02:34 AM
I was asking about this subforum. By the way, I'm very glad you've returned to your organic self. [emoji106]

Empty_of_Clouds
June 20th, 2022, 02:39 AM
What return? I just unplugged the Overlord AI.

As for why here, as in this forum, that's because without dynamic input most of the rest of the website is kinda dead from the neck up.

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 02:54 AM
If you don't like the rest of the forum, and this subforum isn't about pens, why come here? What are you getting out of it?

I hope I'm not coming across as offensive. I'm really curious.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 20th, 2022, 02:59 AM
Habit, probably. This subforum was considerably less fractious before... well, before.

TSherbs
June 20th, 2022, 05:56 AM
Maybe you should go first, Lloyd.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 20th, 2022, 07:05 AM
That may be a good idea for anyone starting a thread. To put up first and avoid any suspicion of a fishing expedition.

dneal
June 20th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Alternatively, one could give the poster the benefit of the doubt and not make assumptions. I'm reminded of the "it's not paranoia if everyone really is out to get you..." joke.

Lloyd, I answered in the forum history thread I started. This used to be discussion of interesting topics, free from twitter-level rhetoric with relatively minor contentiousness; until an orange politician ran for office.

Many of the other sections of the forum are interesting, in a show-and-tell fashion; but don't particularly prompt discussion.

--edit--

I noticed elsewhere a poster commented that they tend to avoid this section unless they were really riled up about something. That's probably the worst time to come here, and the reason for the "Also, do not post while high on ink fumes or after using ballpoints." comment in the description.

Chuck Naill
June 20th, 2022, 11:16 AM
It’s an honest inquiry, but I had a different thought. Lately some have seemed to suggest what’s going on is not good.

People like to debate and argue. Sure sometimes it’s heated and such. I see this as just part of what it means to be human. It’s like pet owners who didn’t understand their puppy or cat would eat them if the conditions were right.

I agree that Trump and also the pandemic has stoked the flames. I used to have an acquaintance who knew I was with a hospice agency and was constantly sending videos for why masks didn’t work and horse wormers were the best treat, that a You Tube nurse knew more than the CDC or Dr. Fauci. That person is no longer an acquaintance.

For me, the Evangelical embrace of Donald Trump was a total disappointment. It caused me to re-examine myself and my beliefs. It has been interesting to read the posts justifications for their support.

While I may come to appreciate other’s opinions, I am no obligated to change mine.

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 11:20 AM
Maybe you should go first, Lloyd.
Oftentimes, I come here to hear (read) well educated thoughts from all sides of a topic to help see the bigger picture. I may state my opinion, but I'm open to my opinion being altered by convincing dialog. Yes, this has happened here on several occasions. That's why I dislike the character assaults and repetition... it leads to nothing.

TSherbs
June 20th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Habit, for me.

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Habit, for me.
At times, I think smoking may be better for your health.

Chuck Naill
June 20th, 2022, 04:24 PM
Wrong. Come here or stay away. It’s a personal choice

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Wrong. Come here or stay away. It’s a personal choice
Wrong? What's wrong? My question is why do you choose to come to this subforum. Please read the original post if you haven't.

Chuck Naill
June 20th, 2022, 04:33 PM
You wrote that smoking would be better. Wrong!!

TSherbs
June 20th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Chuck, he wasn't being literal.

Chuck Naill
June 20th, 2022, 04:42 PM

I’m many things, but not a mind reader….lol!

Lloyd
June 20th, 2022, 04:44 PM

I’m many things, but not a mind reader….lol!
You might want to list those things before someone beats you to it.

Chuck Naill
June 20th, 2022, 05:17 PM
You’re the OP. I don’t find a need to post such, ut you did. I was just taking you seriously.

Chuck Naill
June 22nd, 2022, 05:46 AM
One benefit of an open forum is to discuss conspiracy theories. Some of course are here to troll, but others might bring these theories here as if they are true. I have noticed a softening of rhetoric supporting Trump. Some still cling, but you can see the cracks forming. My concern is that the ordinary American is not paying attention. The Jan 6 hearings were free, and while many did take advantage, I am afraid others were more concerned about the short term than long term. Really, we do not have to choose. Yes, inflation is real, but so is the degradation of the US. As the saying goes, evil is allowed to occur because good people do nothing.

During the pandemic those of use following the lead of science and medicine had some stiff opposition. We could have left and allowed the users of unproven remedies without push back.

As our friend Ted, who I know wore a mask and had the vaccines knows, COVID-19 is nothing to mess with. I also had a week of Omicron symptoms, that were fortunately mild.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 22nd, 2022, 05:54 AM
The structure of our societies have altered the interpersonal dynamics that are fundamental to human wellbeing. Our societies emphasise our differences in a competitive way, and rob us of time that would likely be better spent in cultivating relationships. Without these relationships order becomes fragile, and ultimately societies will likely fail. Eventually.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 05:55 AM
Chuck - Have you seen the Texas GOP lately?

Empty_of_Clouds
June 22nd, 2022, 06:10 AM
Sorry, LLoyd, I don't really understand the question. American politics is a bit of mystery to me. Are Texas Republicans different from those in other places? Broadly speaking of course.

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 10:39 AM
When I get the hankering for a new pen or out of habit.

Unfortunately honest and honorable discourse is lacking.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 11:38 AM

Why would you come to the Political subforum when hankering for pen?

Chuck Naill
June 22nd, 2022, 12:08 PM
It’s not as if the member provides honest and honorable discourse contributions themselves…..lol!! 😂😂😂

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 12:22 PM
Chuck, I have a hypothesis on why your other political forum (the one you invited me to) died.

Chuck Naill
June 22nd, 2022, 12:31 PM
It’s not the reason you think@dneal. That said, everyone doesn’t have the ability for honest, responsible communication.

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 03:03 PM

I was answering for why I’m on the site in general.

Specifically in this sub forum it was to put out a Christian but non evangelical point of view but recently it’s just to watch the train wreck.

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 03:03 PM
It’s not as if the member provides honest and honorable discourse contributions themselves…..lol!! 😂😂😂

I rest my case.

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 03:04 PM
It’s not the reason you think@dneal. That said, everyone doesn’t have the ability for honest, responsible communication.

Agreed

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 03:17 PM

... but recently it’s just to watch the train wreck.
Is that the Christian thing to do?

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 03:21 PM
I don’t think Jesus had an opinion on trains.

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Watching ready to inject some truth. Also praying at times that heart and minds can change. But as time goes by realizing it is unlikely and that is why I haven’t been as active.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 03:34 PM
Be careful of watching the devastation or you will turn into a pillar of salt.

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 03:49 PM

Nah, that only happens if you watch drag queen story time

Bold2013
June 22nd, 2022, 04:00 PM
https://babylonbee.com/news/in-honor-of-pride-month-chick-fil-a-waffle-fries-will-seasoned-with-the-salt-from-lots-wife

Chuck Naill
June 22nd, 2022, 04:13 PM

I rest my case.

You’re lazy. A true This sample should be able to provide an appropriate defense for what they believe. Otherwise, you’re just repeating nonsense provided for you by someone

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 04:16 PM

With that make watching drag queens bad for your blood pressure?

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 04:21 PM

Huh?

Chuck, are you logged in to Lloyd's account?

Chuck Naill
June 22nd, 2022, 04:24 PM
Lol o””"

TSherbs
June 22nd, 2022, 04:28 PM
<rolls eyes>

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 04:36 PM

Huh?

Salt can raise your blood pressure.

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 05:08 PM

Huh?

I figured that's where you were going with it. I think "with" was supposed to be "will", and couldn't pass the opportunity.

Chuck, thanks for having a sense of humor.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 05:18 PM

Huh?

I figured that's where you were going with it. I think "with" was supposed to be "will", and couldn't pass the opportunity.

Chuck, thanks for having a sense of humor.
Does he? Not everyone who laughs has a sense of humor.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220622/6ed95b2d77afb861dbe93e08befa601d.jpg

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 05:30 PM
He did in this case. And c'mon, it was pretty funny.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 05:32 PM
I think I missed the joke. The Auto-Incorrect have me a typo and you referenced Chuck. Where's the ha-ha?

dneal
June 22nd, 2022, 05:42 PM
It won't be funny anymore if I explain it.

Lloyd
June 22nd, 2022, 05:59 PM
It won't be funny anymore if I explain it.
Ain't that the truth. Was it just that there was a typo or did the typo bring a funny meaning to what I wrote?

Chuck Naill
June 23rd, 2022, 06:58 AM
Let’s try something new. If we express an opinion the members that disagree avoids any personal or dismissive response, only why they disagree and if appropriate, state a better solution.

Take inflation, we would avoid blaming or being dismissive, and only say what is a better solution. So, I’d you disagree with the fed chairperson, what should he have done or can do. Members in other countries can address issues there.

Some of you already do this or try to, of course.

Chip
June 23rd, 2022, 02:12 PM
We might be rats, but we're all in the same boat.

https://i.imgur.com/Oe4SSWP.jpg

(The monk illustrator, obviously a stranger to boats, has the rowers facing the wrong way.)

Chuck Naill
June 23rd, 2022, 03:17 PM
Speak for yourself. It’s been a difficult several years of politics and a global pandemic

Chip
June 23rd, 2022, 11:07 PM
I always speak for myself.

There is no way I could even attempt to speak for you.

Chuck Naill
June 24th, 2022, 05:32 AM
I always speak for myself.

There is no way I could even attempt to speak for you.

Good, I am not in your boat.

kazoolaw
June 24th, 2022, 07:55 AM
We might be rats, but we're all in the same boat.

https://i.imgur.com/Oe4SSWP.jpg

(The monk illustrator, obviously a stranger to boats, has the rowers facing the wrong way.)

A crew of gondoliers?

https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Venice-gondola-1536x865.jpg

Chip
June 24th, 2022, 01:42 PM
You seem as well to be a stranger to boats. There is a helmsrat and a steering oar.

Chuck Naill
June 24th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Similar to tandem canoe of course

kazoolaw
June 24th, 2022, 05:41 PM
You seem as well to be a stranger to boats. There is a helmsrat and a steering oar.

Fairly said.

Chip
June 26th, 2022, 10:30 PM
There are situations in which one rows facing forward. Navigating a narrow channel in slack water or on a rising tide, it helps to see where you're going.

Another instance is on rivers, where you steer the boat by rowing against the current.

https://i.imgur.com/NmPFWmL.jpg

Chuck Naill
June 27th, 2022, 08:09 AM
There are situations in which one rows facing forward. Navigating a narrow channel in slack water or on a rising tide, it helps to see where you're going.

Another instance is on rivers, where you steer the boat by rowing against the current.

https://i.imgur.com/NmPFWmL.jpg

Aka, ferrying.

Niner
July 14th, 2022, 08:56 PM
There's this POS.

Chip
July 14th, 2022, 11:15 PM
Is that a still from a movie, or a real-life thing?

Boats are terribly overloaded. Inflatables are pretty vulnerable to gunfire. One hit: POOF!

At least the grunts are wearing PFDs.

Niner
July 15th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Is that a still from a movie, or a real-life thing?

Boats are terribly overloaded. Inflatables are pretty vulnerable to gunfire. One hit: POOF!

At least the grunts are wearing PFDs.

That's a real McCoy, a photo taken of a training exercise. It's the RB-15 Rubber Raft (or Rubber Boat, depending upon the source). It is possible to mount motors on them.

I'm not in that photo, but I have had the pleasure of helping to operate such craft. I have information that PFDs have not always been used.