PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How many of you visit the main site, FPGeeks.com and how often?

dannzeman
August 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I'm trying to determine whether it would be beneficial to cross post articles from the blog to the forums. If a majority of member visit the site, then I see no added benefit.

Please weigh in by casting your vote and/or leaving a comment.

Thank you.

KrazyIvan
August 19th, 2013, 09:33 AM
My main link to FPGeeks is the forum link. I sometimes forget to look at the main page. I do go there about once a week to catch up on the news.

jar
August 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I rarely visit the main site. I'm not a fan of video reviews and so a once a month or so check can find any written reviews that look interesting.

ilangai
August 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I feel the separation between the main site and forum is beneficial for me. As I'm not much of a fan of social platforms, I can sometimes escape to the main site and read articles without feeling an urge to make a comment.. (again, me.)
Also, as one who take his first visit to the forum after more than a year, I'm sure there are some visitors who aren't interested in the forum and drops by the main site only..

dannzeman
August 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
So how many of you would like to see content from the blog posted in the forum as well? Do you not visit the blog because you're not interested in the content or just because you prefer the forum setting? Or is there another reason?

Jon Szanto
August 19th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Dan, I enjoy the general conversation and interaction of a forum. Seeing the activity and the give-and-take is a way to spend my time and be interactive. I *do* have your main site on an RSS feed that goes to the home page of my browser. As I start in to the day, I look to see if there is an interesting article or announcement, and then I take a look. I'm not sure I ever just click on the site link blindly to just check it out.

As with Jar, I simply don't have the time in my life for video reviews. I wish I did, but carving out 5-10-30 minutes at a time to just watch and listen doesn't happen for me, but I am well aware that others find it a great resource.

I wouldn't have any problem if you put stuff on the forum as well - maybe a dedicated subforum so that it is going to it's own little niche.

HTH.

tandaina
August 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I don't VISIT the main site. But I subscribe to it via RSS. So I see all the articles and really don't need to see them here. I also don't have time for video reviews. I appreciate the written reviews. Most articles through aren't really very relevant as I'm not a modern pen collector.

AndyT
August 19th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Far and away the most useful things to me from the main site are the zip files which go with Stephen's Inkcyclopedia entries. If they were to find a place within the Ink Reviews section of the forum along with a low res pic, that would be a worthwhile resource I think.

Laura N
August 19th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I also don't care for video reviews. (Though it seems that many, many people do.) So I rarely visit the main site these days.

jbb
August 19th, 2013, 12:12 PM
The forum setting works best for me.

Tracy Lee
August 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
If you tweet or Facebook with the article, I usually click and go take a look. Otherwise, I go to the site once a week or so. I don't watch too many videos either, but read what I can to learn new things, or confirm things I think I know. I am a modern collector so I always find something relevant. Either way you decide to do it, I'll be there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

jar
August 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Just to add, I go to Facebook about once or twice every quarter and never read tweets.

picautomaton
August 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM
At work my pc FPG link lands on the main site. I look forward to new articles with the good quality images you usually post. Must say that I generally don't have time to open up video reviews however written reviews I read.

writingrav
August 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM
If it ain't broke why fix it?

Tony Rex
August 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM
The video reviews are worth more than thousand words and pics. I really appreciate the effort.

erpe
August 19th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Just some first thoughts. A forum is nice for members but there are lots of people not (yet) members looking for general info. I think these will scared away when they have to search too deep for stuff they are looking for (and will not become members). Cross-posting between blog and forum might on the other hand cause members not to visit the main-page so they will see only the items that are indeed posted here. My feeling is that the set-up is ok as it is. I check the main-page at least once a day. Another thing that just jumps up: by cross-posting, you will also have two locations for comments and split up discussions. Finally, reducing the traffic on the main-page in this way might have some impact on advertising, should there be any in the future.

jacksterp
August 19th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I access the forum through fpgeeks.com.

I also enjoy your video reviews and video reviews in general. If they seem to long, it is easy to sort of "speed" through. Long to me, is over 8-10 minutes.

Sketchy
August 19th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I often follow links to reviews from Facebook, only going to the main site if I'm looking for something specific and, along with others here, don't have time for video reviews.

inBOIL
August 20th, 2013, 06:24 AM
i make the pen-rounds everyday, and click into the main site to get to the forum.

Also worth noting [as stated above]: Anyone (like myself) who has entered any of the online contests would also have fpgeeks news on Facebook and Twitter. (Unless they removed it afterwards--which would be a bit slimy, really.) So i often see the same announcements 3 times a day. (Sometimes it feels like rooting thru my parents' closet on the 23rd of December and finding Christmas presents wrapped in saran-wrap. If that makes sense.)

Who knows. i'd leave 'um separate, honestly.

dannzeman
August 20th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I appreciate the feedback, everyone. Please keep it coming.

jde
August 20th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I voted "rarely visit the main site," although I will scan the headlines at least every other week or so. While the videos are valuable for a lot of folks new to FPs, I'm not so new, and not one to watch, or to listen to whatever because I don't have the time. Unless it's a topic I'm super interested in (like the tweaks for geeks y'all did with Brian Gray). I'm here for a bit of thoughtful pen chat, perhaps atypically as I don't do multiple forums, and don't visit every day as a norm.

P.S. Not sure that cross-posting would make be engage with "main site" items more often. But I wouldn't be annoyed by the cross-posting. You guys do a great, unique service for the pen community, IMHO.

drgoretex
August 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I think cross-posting would be a great idea. I don't get to the blog often, as I tend to land here - but having articles linked in the forum would likely induce me to check out some of the blog posts. I have seen many of them, and enjoyed them.

Ken

Flounder
August 20th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'm... not sure about the cross posting! Maybe.

I do know the main site is what first brought me to FPG. The old awesome reviews in particular had the polish of print magazine articles. It look great, it works on my phone, and if something new is happening in the fountain pen world, it's usually the first place I hear about it. If I see there's a new video review up, I know in advance it will probably be well shot and without overlong intros.

Waski_the_Squirrel
August 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I usually type the URL for the main site, scan the headlines, and jump to the forum. I don't like video reviews and only watch them if I'm really interested in the topic. Many of the other things on the main site are far out of my price range anyway.

LeftyMcshroom
August 20th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I view the main site weekly at the very least. I look forward to the inkcyclopedia entries. I love the written...especially hand-written reviews, but I find the video reviews, ink or pen...or paper, indispensable.