PDA

View Full Version : "Bump"

724Seney
June 25th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain have all been attributed with saying "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." It is unclear which, if any, of them may have actually said this........ but it is a concept with much merit.

Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
For months & months on end??

Chrissy
June 25th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Does anybody else get sick & tired of seeing the same sales posts repeatedly getting bumped up to the top of the first page again and again and again?
Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it. :(

markofp
June 25th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Yes . . . and no. The smart person knows when his ad is a lost cause, either because of disinterest in the item or too high a price.

On the other hand, bumping works. The last few pens I have sold here were as a result of one or more bump-ups. I just sold a Pilot 845 this week after it had been listed since November and I bumped it up, and I sold an Otto Hutt a few weeks back after doing the same.

I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.

christof
June 25th, 2022, 02:31 PM
I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 25th, 2022, 06:31 PM
Yes. But nothing can be done about it like nothing can seemingly be done about everything else that's annoying around here so we just have to ignore it and get on with it. :(

Solutions exist, but those of a unilateral nature tend to be unsuccessful.

Chrissy
June 25th, 2022, 11:10 PM
I agree though, there should be a limit. There's been an ad for a bottle of Montblanc ink that's been bumped for a couple of years now to no interest whatsoever that I can see. Whoever moderates the For Sale forum should set some limits on things like that. Maybe no more than one bump a month, something like that.

I see it similar to Chrissy. The unsuccessful and repetitive sales attempts hardly bother me. From my point of view, there are far more unpleasant things in this forum.
@markofp: That bottle of ink might be more likely to turn to dust before it sells at that price, and it's guaranteed to do so before we ever see a moderator around any forum in this place but there is at least a way to try to mitigate the problem of seeing loads of repeated sales posts.
If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.

@christof
That method can be used for any particular forum you don't wish to see posts for.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2022, 11:33 PM
If it it your normal practice to click on "New Posts" when you first come to FPG on any day then you could click on the first "For Sale" that you see, then on the top line click on "Forum Tools" then check "Mark This Forum Read." It will remember that for 24 hours and won't show you posts in that forum.

This is precisely my way of dealing with this and similar issues. It can be done very quickly and while it isn't as nice as never having to do it, it make life bearable in our situation.

bunnspecial
June 26th, 2022, 07:45 AM
I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.

Chrissy
September 17th, 2022, 11:29 PM
I don't always watch the sales page closely, and many of my purchases have been on a second or third "bump." I personally don't mind them, even if seeing an overpriced bottle of ink with 5 pages of bumps attached to it is annoying.
I don't particularly watch them either and if I posted any Classified For Sale ads I might decide to add one or two "bumps" on them myself due to them getting buried very quickly in that forum. Multiple or 5 pages worth of "bumps" seem really excessive and for me personally it's occasionally worth not seeing that forum for 24 hours.

Farmboy
September 18th, 2022, 08:18 PM
There is a sales page?

Chrissy
September 20th, 2022, 02:09 AM
There is a sales page?
LOL Yep - a whole forum to itself. I suppose there are some members who don't use it. :)

TFarnon
September 21st, 2022, 02:09 AM

Same here. I'm not always as alert as I might want to be, and someone's "bump" is sometimes one of the pens I've been dreaming of.

RobJohnson
September 21st, 2022, 03:12 AM
As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.

Chrissy
September 21st, 2022, 03:40 AM
As an alternative to the rather facile word 'bump' it may be better to post some additional information such as close up photographs or details about the pen that were not in the original post, something that shows a little inspiration, shows a little spark.
That sound like a brilliant idea. If only........:bolt:

Empty_of_Clouds
September 23rd, 2022, 05:40 PM
The same reasoning in this thread should be applied to spam: report it and move on. Don't comment because that just brings the spam to the top of the pile again (unless that is what commenters want of course).