PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer retro sunset

catbert
July 30th, 2022, 01:23 PM
And so the sun sets on this selection of shades from Sheaffer’s Skrip-successor series. (I’ll stop alliterating now.)

Sheaffer retro sunset is a reddish orange, perhaps evoking magic hour or mid-century plastics. To my eye, it’s a good match for the dot grid in a Hobonichi Techo.

Some Inktober doodles for the prompt ‘bird’.

This ink will be used mainly for annotation and mark-up. It’s redder than my other oranges, oranger than my other reds. Swatches on Col-o-ring and Atoma paper.

Waterproofness: very little.

I still like the bottle.

Yazeh
July 30th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Nice review. So, Sheaffer got rid of its popular strip Red. I hope this iteration is easier to clean. What I loved most were you penguin dashingly devilish doodles. :D

Prettypenguin
July 30th, 2022, 03:32 PM
🐧 🐧 🐧!!! The color is nice, the drawings more so. It really does match the dots!

catbert
July 30th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Nice review. So, Sheaffer got rid of its popular strip Red. I hope this iteration is easier to clean. What I loved most were you penguin dashingly devilish doodles. :D

There's an inferno red in the new line. Maybe that matches the old Skrip red?

TSherbs
July 30th, 2022, 04:50 PM
I am a fan of Skrip Red. I'm uneasy about them changing it. Is that what this means? "Retro Sunset"? Gawd-awful name, if you ask me. The bottle, tho, is cool. And thanks for those comparison pics. Very helpful.

Lloyd
July 30th, 2022, 06:54 PM
It reminds me of Noodlers Habañero

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™

catbert
July 30th, 2022, 07:12 PM
I am a fan of Skrip Red. I'm uneasy about them changing it. Is that what this means? "Retro Sunset"? Gawd-awful name, if you ask me. The bottle, tho, is cool. And thanks for those comparison pics. Very helpful.

There are worse names in the new line-up, I think.

Nothing new under the (retro) sun(set)?

TSherbs
July 30th, 2022, 07:20 PM
Ha!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

catbert
July 13th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Comparative chromatography for the inks mentioned in the review. The Noodler's result possible skewed by sitting longer than the others.

From top bottom: Sheaffer retro sunset, Noodler's southwest (formerly Apache) sunset, Sailor kinmokusei, Sailor apricot

sfarkhan
July 14th, 2023, 03:53 PM
Oh boy you may have sold this to me. It reminds me of Private Reserve's Orange Crush.

catbert
July 14th, 2023, 04:11 PM
I hope you can find a bottle.

sfarkhan
July 14th, 2023, 06:30 PM

Now that you say it, I'm seeing that too!

calamus
July 15th, 2023, 12:20 AM
I need more ink like a hole in the head, but I love this color. I may have to get some. Hmm, Amazon is out, but other places have it. $13 a bottle. Sounds good...

Sailor Kenshin
July 15th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Comparative chromatography for the inks mentioned in the review. The Noodler's result possible skewed by sitting longer than the others.

From top bottom: Sheaffer retro sunset, Noodler's southwest (formerly Apache) sunset, Sailor kinmokusei, Sailor apricot

Thanks for the chromas! I liked my sample of A Patchy Sunset but it seemed to be made of Never-dri.

catbert
July 18th, 2023, 05:08 AM
...Thanks for the chromas! I liked my sample of A Patchy Sunset but it seemed to be made of Never-dri.

There was just enough left in my sample vial to do the chromatography.