PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 149, will I ever afford to buy another pen ever?

Markwil
January 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
After about a year of putting up with my Generations Rollerball, my 164 and LeGrand Classique Ballpoints I finally did it!
Full retail at the Mont Blanc Boutique:eek: and I've got myself a brand new Fine point 149.
Impressive and I've got big hands to say the least, but I'm finding the larger grip strange after so many years of using regular sized pens!
It's a wet writer and I've got to say the nib is on the Medium side of Fine, but I've only had it for less than 2 days!
The Boutique was nice enough to let me choose my own colour instead of the included Mystery Black so it's been Irish Green for Go, and maybe a little added spring colour since February comes tomorrow:(
(My first post on this great site, I am enjoying the reviews, the Podcasts and the Geek of the Week show!)

fountainpenkid
January 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
Congrats on you new 149! My dad has this as his grail pen (though a bit jokingly), but I find it wayy too big--I wish the small verions of it were piston fillers!

eriquito
February 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM
After about a year of putting up with my Generations Rollerball, my 164 and LeGrand Classique Ballpoints I finally did it!
Full retail at the Mont Blanc Boutique:eek: and I've got myself a brand new Fine point 149.
Impressive and I've got big hands to say the least, but I'm finding the larger grip strange after so many years of using regular sized pens!
It's a wet writer and I've got to say the nib is on the Medium side of Fine, but I've only had it for less than 2 days!
The Boutique was nice enough to let me choose my own colour instead of the included Mystery Black so it's been Irish Green for Go, and maybe a little added spring colour since February comes tomorrow:(
(My first post on this great site, I am enjoying the reviews, the Podcasts and the Geek of the Week show!)

CONGRATULATIONS Markwil!! A brand-spanking-new 149 right from the boutique. Excellent!

I'm sure you'll quickly get used to the larger girth of the pen. And once you do, you'll wonder how you ever used skinny pens.

If that nib isn't fine enough for you, I'm positive that MB has an nib exchange policy.

How about a picture?? =) =)

eriquito
February 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I wish the small verions of it were piston fillers!

If by small version you mean the 146... it is a piston filler. Go get one :)

Gonzo
May 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
I went to the jewelry store today to get my watched fixed and walked out with a No.149! Just last night I was getting caught up on the FPgeeks podcast and I believe it was Eric who mentioned the new Montblanc iPad App, which I downloaded and drooled over. Funny how that works. http://img.tapatalk.com/18752c89-641c-e07f.jpg

peterpen53
May 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
Congratulations, Gonzo! Just a fair warning: this won't be your last MB! Like Eric says, go get a 146.
Now, is that just a reflection or does your pen have a reddish/dark amber ink window? I'm not a 149 expert, but if so, you might have something special.

Cheers,
Peter

goldiesdad
May 23rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Congrats on a Great pen ...

Gonzo
May 23rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks peterpen53. I could't really tell from my picture but after holding it up to the light it certainly does have a reddish hue. Please tell me more. I'm assuming the red color indicates an older model. I'm not positive, but I'd bet the Jewelry store where I bought it has had it for quite some time. Any info would be great.Thanks.
Congratulations, Gonzo! Just a fair warning: this won't be your last MB! Like Eric says, go get a 146.
Now, is that just a reflection or does your pen have a reddish/dark amber ink window? I'm not a 149 expert, but if so, you might have something special.

Cheers,
Peter

peterpen53
May 24th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks peterpen53. I could't really tell from my picture but after holding it up to the light it certainly does have a reddish hue. Please tell me more. I'm assuming the red color indicates an older model. I'm not positive, but I'd bet the Jewelry store where I bought it has had it for quite some time. Any info would be great.Thanks.

Have a look on Fountain Pen Network (FPN). In the Montblanc forum there is a pinned thread called "Dating Montblanc 149" http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/170282-dating-montblanc-149s/. It has a chart identifying the "birth date" of your 149 by several different aspects. I noticed colour of ink window is not one of them, but I'm sure you will find other aspects of your pen to help identify it.
And you can always register and ask a question, on this forum there are several great experts on MB, much more knowledgeable than I am. Good luck!

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: be sure to scroll down, they did a revised chart deeper down on the first page. And there are lots of interesting comments and pictures, illustrating what it all means.

Chi Town
May 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Congratulations Marwil AND Gonzo! On both yer MontBlanc's 149's

What a way to start!

KrazyIvan
May 26th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Congratz to you both.

ianmedium
June 1st, 2012, 09:54 PM
Congratulations to you both. You will never regret this purchase. I love my 149. Whenever I use it I feel special, it is the best writer in my collection and is just wonderful.