Its fake or original?

Mags
August 22nd, 2013, 02:30 AM
I can't tell for sure.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

Paul-H
August 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Hi

Judging by the off centre ingraving I would suggest its a fake. Can you post a close up picture of the nib.

Paul

jar
August 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Is that a pen or a ball point?

mmahany
August 22nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Is that a pen or a ball point?

I'm 99% sure it's a rollerball. Not a fountain nor a ballpoint.

The ballpoints have a much thicker clip and longer top cap which serves as the point for using the twist mechanism.

The Fountains don't unscrew like that either. Plus, the section point looks to slope like that of a rollerball.

Reasons why I think it's authentic:
-The section looks correct.
-The lines and intricacies look correct
-There number of threads for the cap looks correct
-The mountain top looks correctly designed and is the right size

However, the big red flag is that I don’t see a serial number on the clip ring. It should be to the right of the clip itself.

It looks like you’re using a camera from 1999 (only joking), but take the following pictures:

-A picture of the full pen
-A picture of the inside of the clip
-A picture of the clip ring that shows either the serial number or “Germany”

It's either a very good fake but with one obvious neglect to a specific detail (The serial number and "Germany"), or it's an authentic pen.

Right now I'm about 60% sure it's authentic, but better pictures could increase that to as much as 95%. Without seeing the pen in person, 95% is about the most confident anyone can be. The Boheme Rollerball is a very commonly faked pen.

Paul-H
August 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
On an authentic pen would the engraving be off centre to the two lines, the bottom of the text is actually breaking the line, I would have thought it should be dead centre.

Unless they are all like that hen I am wrong.

Paul

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:09 AM

mmahany
August 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
On an authentic pen would the engraving be off centre to the two lines, the bottom of the text is actually breaking the line, I would have thought it should be dead centre.

Unless they are all like that hen I am wrong.

Paul

Excellent eye!

No it shouldn't be like that, and furthermore the "B" in Boheme is very crude which is another sign. It looks too much like the number 8.

The pictures and lighting are horrible so there is still a small possibility it could be authentic, but only a very small chance.

I've seen some much older pens (confirmed to be authentic) with very faded and/or crude serial numbers, but the Boheme line was only just introduced in 1999-2000. That's only 13-14 years ago and modern production equipment had been in use long before that.

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:12 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:13 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:14 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM

mmahany
August 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
It's a fake:

-No serial number
-No mark on the inside of the clip (it should at least say "pix")
-Trim ring letters are too close together and obviously off center
-Trim ring is not flush with the section point
-Trim ring lettering is not the correct font

I will say with 99.9% certainty that it is a fake. Albeit a very good fake (overall), but a fake none the less.

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM

freiwilliger
August 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM

mmahany
August 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Yep, I stand by my previous post. At this point I'm confident that it is a repica (fake).

Also:
- The synthetic stone is off. It should be much more rectangular (rather than squarish) and it should be much more translucent.
-The taper of the cap where it screws into the barrel isn't correct. It's too cylindrical rather than having a slight conical taper.

I like mango pudding
August 22nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
I tend to side with mmahany. The stone is too square. I think it should be more rectangular. The printing on the clip rings just doesn't seem to line up properly. Having just done a google search on MB Bohemes reveal a raft of websites knocking off this particular model of MB's, so unless you now the provenance of this pen, chances are that this might actually be a fake.

freiwilliger
August 23rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks!

gerigo
October 8th, 2013, 06:53 PM
It's a fake. I was comparing your pictures with my Boheme. The very first giveaway is the script on the band. It's off center as someone else mentioned, but more importantly the direction is not correct. It should be reading right side up when the pen/ nib is to the paper, and not the other way around as your pen has it.

Other indicators.

There should be the script Germany to the left of the silver band that the clip attaches to when the clip points down. The serial number is to the right.

The gem is the wrong shape. It's longer, with 7 facets running from the top to the bottom. It's a rather unusual cut, and not like the one you have that's more typical of other gems.