PDA

View Full Version : Safari Pen color for 2012?

Markwil
January 31st, 2012, 01:13 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this years Special coloured Safari? I've got the Fire Orange, the Orange with the silver clip, the Hideous Green, and last years Aqua Blue! I'm hoping that if they do make one for this year it's as good as last years! I always use F or XF nibs in my Safari's and always have one inked and ready (except for the hideous Green:rolleyes:)

klpeabody
January 31st, 2012, 04:46 PM
I am curious myself, because I like collecting the colors. I only became interested in fountain pens last year around April or May, and I think the Aqua may already have been released by then. In years past, at what point in the year have they made the announcement?

Markwil
February 1st, 2012, 06:01 AM
Okay, at a quick glance it's Ruby Red, but it's an Al Star, not the regular plastic! I'm a little disappointed, I like the plastic ones better!

Markwil
February 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
I was wrong about the Al Star, from what I read on another forum we won't know until about April! Hopefully it's a nice colour, not green or pink!

BK_Starkey
February 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I am gonna guess green. In the Safari, there isn't one.

Markwil
February 2nd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I am gonna guess green. In the Safari, there isn't one.
They did a Green already, although it's a bright lime green, maybe if the did a darker one I'd like it more! The already did 2 shades of the Orange, the Fire one with the red clip, and the later one with the silver clip are a shade or two different! Although you can't see that in my pic, I've got an old Nikon CoolPix 2500 that works once in a while:o

BK_Starkey
February 9th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I was thinking a much darker color. Like Emerald or something. Although until I saw your post I completely forgot about the lime green one.

Bogon07
February 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I am hoping for a BritishRacing or Emerald Green if not then a blue grey like old RAF uniforms.
I've seen a few people wishing for purple or violet colours.

manoli
February 16th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this years Special coloured Safari? I've got the Fire Orange, the Orange with the silver clip, the Hideous Green, and last years Aqua Blue! I'm hoping that if they do make one for this year it's as good as last years! I always use F or XF nibs in my Safari's and always have one inked and ready (except for the hideous Green:rolleyes:)

I gather you are speaking of the light green color pen that you don't like. What color is the clip on that pen?
perhaps you want to sell that pen? What would you be asking for that pen? Which size nib does that pen have?
Regards -- Manny D.

subbes
February 17th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Pics on eBay have revealed the 2012 colour: don't click unless you are willing to be spoilered (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamy-SAFARI-Fountain-Pen-/110714330245?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_Writing Equipment_SM&var=&hash=item5f77d2a1e8#ht_1137wt_1037).

Markwil
February 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I just find the lime green too bright, too hard on the eyes! Last years Aquamarine is one I use all the time, I really like that colour! As for selling the Lime, well, it would probably cost too much to ship it from Canada if I priced it reasonably, unlike the Ebay auctions that are 3 times MSRP. Also they did reissue this in a limited amount so I think that should lower the value... Maybe I just need to wear sunglasses when I use it!!

I gather you are speaking of the light green color pen that you don't like. What color is the clip on that pen?
perhaps you want to sell that pen? What would you be asking for that pen? Which size nib does that pen have?
Regards -- Manny D.

Markwil
February 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Pics on eBay have revealed the 2012 colour: don't click unless you are willing to be spoilered (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamy-SAFARI-Fountain-Pen-/110714330245?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_Writing Equipment_SM&var=&hash=item5f77d2a1e8#ht_1137wt_1037).

If that is really what it is, and I think it's been confirmed by Mrs. Goulet of Goulet Pens, I will be awaiting mine as soon as they get to Canada!!

klpeabody
February 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I am looking forward to this new color. I think this is going to be a fun one to have. =)

Bogon07
February 21st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately the new colour appears to be unexpectedly alluring :cool:
I keep telling my wife and myself that I've enough Safaris and Al-Stars until I accidentally buy another.

Markwil
March 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
the green is now available on Stylo.ca, a Canadian site I've used in the past. I think I'll wait until I can actually compare the colour with my Lime green, I'm hoping there's enough of a difference that I will be able to add this to my collection!

Sailor Kenshin
April 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
After a disappointing first pen years ago, I'm back to using Safaris. Any kind of green is fine with me! Even lime.

Jetpens lists an 'Ocean Blue' and a Blue. Does anyone know the dif? I have the regular blue, and the Aquamarine.

Bogon07
April 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
After a disappointing first pen years ago, I'm back to using Safaris. Any kind of green is fine with me! Even lime.

Jetpens lists an 'Ocean Blue' and a Blue. Does anyone know the dif? I have the regular blue, and the Aquamarine.

The Ocean Blue is an aluminium Al-Star while the Blue is the plastic Safari. They are basically the same shape although the Al-Star is more expensive and has a translucent smokey grey front nib section.

Sailor Kenshin
April 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks. That'll teach me to give cursory glances at pen sites!

GilsDesk
April 6th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Is the part of the all-star near the nib where your fingers grip the same shape as the Safari?

Bogon07
April 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Is the part of the all-star near the nib where your fingers grip the same shape as the Safari?
Yes it is identical although to me the edges of ridge at the top feels slightly sharper on the Safari where as the Al-Star (& Vista) feels every so slightly more rounded. THat being said they feel pretty much the same to hold.

The major difference is the Safari front section has a black 'O' ring on it just above the thread while the Al-Star doesn't as it has a harder slightly flatter black plastic ring attached to the rear body section.

The Lamy Nexx also appears to have a similarly shaped grip section in a rubberised plastic. I'm also tempted to get one of these too.

Bogon07
April 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Tiger Pens Blog announces they now have the Apple Green Fountain Pen and Ballpoint in stock !
http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/blog/

Sailor Kenshin
April 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I would love to find a list of all the limited-edition or special colors for the Safari!

Ordinal
April 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I got mine yesterday (from TWD (http://thewritingdesk.co.uk/)). Hmm. It's a bright (though not lime) green, and it goes well with last year's aqua blue, but I'm not sure I like the colour as much. Perhaps it will grow on me. They are certainly balancing the colours though.

Bogon07
April 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Conratulations Ordinal. Which size nib did you select ?

I would love to find a list of all the limited-edition or special colors for the Safari!
Here is an extensive list from FPN by lupitalamos to which I've just added the last two years.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22180-lamy-safari-colours/page__view__findpost__p__1893137

Also see Gino M Santaguida's excellent site for a pictorial collector's checklist of Safaris:
http://gmsantaguida.tumblr.com/post/23566681770/here-is-a-checklist-i-made-i-am-a-huge-fan-of-the
and a link to his post of it at FPN
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/90367-lamy-safari/page__view__findpost__p__2363174

Safari:
Red (Black Clip and nib) (Before 2010)
Shiny Red (Chrome Clip) (After 2010)
Terracotta [Tomato] Orange (Black Clip and nib)
Orange Flame (Red Clip) (2004)
Shiny Orange (Shiny Clip) (2008 Limited)
Early Yellow (Black clip and nib)
Yellow (Black Clip) (Before 2010)
Shiny Yellow (Chrome Clip) (After 2010)
Neon Yellow (Chrome Clip) (2013)
Savanna Green (Black Clip, nib and Rubber Ring)
Lime (Chrome Clip) (2008 Limited) black cross
Lime (Chrome Clip) (2011 Limited) lime cross
Apple Green (Chrome Clip) 2012 LE
Aquamarine (Chrome Clip) 2011 LE
French [Sky] Blue (Red Clip) 2006
Blue (Yellow Clip)
Deep Blue (Black Clip and nib) (Before 2010)
Shiny Blue (Chrome Clip) (After 2010)
Pink (Chrome Clip) (2009 Limited-pink dot)
Pink (Chrome Clip) (2011 Limited-pink cross)
White (Black Clip and Rubber Ring) (Unknown)
Shiny White (Chrome Clip and Light Grey Rubber Ring) (2010)
Shiny White (orangy-red clip ? + light grey ring) with "I (heart) 100 Taiwan" printed on the cap
Shiny White (Red clip+light grey ring) 30th Anniversary Japanese SE
Griso [Grey] (Black Clip and Rubber Ring)
Charcoal Black [Also known as Matt Black] Black clip and nib
Shiny Black (Chrome Clip) (2009)
Shiny Black 150th Friendship Pen (Yellow clip and black nib)
Clear Vista (chrome clip and inside cap)
Clear Demonstrator (black clip and inside cap)

AL-Star:
Aluminium (Black Clip)
Bastian Schweinsteiger - Aluminium with a signature
Graphite (Previous version Black Clip, New version Chrome Clip)
Silver Green (Previous version Black Clip, New version Chrome Clip)
Silver Blue (Actually it looks like silver light purple or lilac, Chrome Clip)
Ocean Blue (Chrome Clip)
Itoya (Blue Star - Japan only)
Shiraz or Black Purple (Chrome Clip) (2009)
Raspberry (Chrome Clip) (2009 LE)
Coffee (Chrome Clip) (2010)
Ruby Red (Chrome Clip) (2011)
Pearl/Champagne (Chrome Clip) (2013)

-----------------------------------
I suppose you could also call the Joy a special version of the Safari with a long body.
Black with red clip & inserts
Black with pink clip & inserts
Black with Aluminum cap
White

And pushing the boundaries even further for the basic Safari shape:
Nexx
Smile (Light Blue with icon dial on cap)
Red
Lime
Blue
Citron (yellow) - Special Edition 2012
Pink
Coral (2013)

Nexx M (same as Nexx but with a metal clip on the cap)
Anthracite (black)
Olive
Opal Green (2013)
Orange

Sailor Kenshin
April 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks! Looks like some interesting colors in there.

Ordinal
April 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Conratulations Ordinal. Which size nib did you select ?

Oh, it was just an F I think - I have pretty much every Lamy nib already in a little box so I didn't feel the need to experiment much.

(I don't have an A, actually, hmm.)

Bogon07
April 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Oh, it was just an F I think - I have pretty much every Lamy nib already in a little box so I didn't feel the need to experiment much.

(I don't have an A, actually, hmm.)
An A ? I haven't seen that or even as a selection with the pen either.
Most mine are F followed by EF and M along with a B, 1.1., 1.5 with a 1.9 on the way.

@penfancy
April 16th, 2012, 06:19 PM
”A” stands for beginner nib. I found that out whole ordering some Pelikanos.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

GilsDesk
April 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
What in the world is a "Beginner Nib"? Does it have training wheels on the sides? :-)

Bogon07
April 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I found this informative link with details about Lamy Nibs. Looks like the A=MK.
Plus 1.1, 1.5 & 1.9 Italic Nibs.
Note the Australian nib price $29 at the bottom of the actual page !!!! :mad:
http://www.ikonink.com.au/model-p005f-lamy-stainless-steel-nib.html

AVAILABLE NIB GRADES
• EF (extra fine)
• F (fine)
• M (medium)
• B (broad)
• LH (left-handed, medium)
• MK or A (beginners)
• OM (oblique medium)
• OB (oblique broad)

NOTES

• LH Lamy make special left-handed nibs specifically designed for left hand use and these are different to Lamy oblique nibs.
• The LH nib angle allows the nib to be pushed or dragged across the paper without digging in like normal nibs do.

• OM & OB Designed to accomodate a rotated writing position, Lamy oblique nibs are angled specifically so that the nib contacts with the paper at the correct angle.

• MK Lamy 'beginner's nib' is ball-tipped to be more forgiving to nib rotation and angle.
The A is in the ABC wooden body FP.

All Lamy nibs are factory tested so it is not uncommon for ink to be present on a brand new item.

KrazyIvan
April 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Note the Australian nib price $29 at the bottom of the actual page !!!! :mad:

Would it be more cost effective to get Lamy nibs from the Goulet's?

manoli
April 18th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi Markwil,
Sorry that I have not been on here for quite awhile - Guess I just am spending too much time on FPN:)
So is that a yes to my sale offer or just a maybe? It looks like the new 2012 limited edition (apple) lime green
color Safari's are available from Europe - to come to US in June I think?
regards -- Manny D.

@penfancy
April 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
What in the world is a "Beginner Nib"? Does it have training wheels on the sides? :-)

I believe , not sure, that it has more tipping and is more rounded leaving a breaking in period for beginners to learn proper hand placement to adjust to writing with a fountain pen. So yes, sort of training wheels. :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Bogon07
April 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
The Tiger Pens blog is giving away a LE Apple green FP or ballpoint
http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/blog/2012-limited-edition-lamy-safari-giveaway/

'comment on the post between now and 11:59 p.m. Eastern time (U.S.) on April 29. We’ll randomly select one person to receive his or her choice of the 2012 Limited Edition Lamy Safari fountain pen or ballpoint pen.'

KrazyIvan
Would it be more cost effective to get Lamy nibs from the Goulet's?
If slipped in with an order of other stuff otherwise the postage could be problematic.

Alohamora
April 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know if thee's going to be a special edition AL-star for 2012?

I already got my apple green Safari and I love it, it's my favorite Safari color (I have most of the current production and the last few SE colors).

Bogon07
April 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know if thee's going to be a special edition AL-star for 2012?

I already got my apple green Safari and I love it, it's my favorite Safari color (I have most of the current production and the last few SE colors).

On FPN I recall Rachel Goulet from GouletPens saying her advice was there would be no LimitedEdition Al-Star this year.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/215133-confirmed-2012-lamy-safari-colour/page__p__2255206__hl__%2Bsafari+%2B2012+%2B__froms earch__1#entry2255206
Confirmed 2012 Lamy Safari Colour! (spoiler alert) #16

Now I'm confused, the Lamy site says the Ruby was the 2012 Al-Star. "LAMY AL-star – The light aluminium experience.
New colour 2012 The LAMY AL-star series is being freshened up this year with a new colour. The cool aluminium writing instrument series is being extended to include the colour ‘ruby’.

I suppose it was very early in the year and I can't remember back that far too well. Or perhaps Ruby was a new colour for the Al-Star range and not a special edition.

Alohamora
May 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM
On FPN I recall Rachel Goulet from GouletPens saying her advice was there would be no LimitedEdition Al-Star this year.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/215133-confirmed-2012-lamy-safari-colour/page__p__2255206__hl__%2Bsafari+%2B2012+%2B__froms earch__1#entry2255206
Confirmed 2012 Lamy Safari Colour! (spoiler alert) #16

Now I'm confused, the Lamy site says the Ruby was the 2012 Al-Star. "LAMY AL-star – The light aluminium experience.
New colour 2012 The LAMY AL-star series is being freshened up this year with a new colour. The cool aluminium writing instrument series is being extended to include the colour ‘ruby’.

I suppose it was very early in the year and I can't remember back that far too well. Or perhaps Ruby was a new colour for the Al-Star range and not a special edition.

Thanks!

I think Ruby was only available in certain countries in 2011, for 2012 it's being released in additional parts of the world. Now that that you've jogged my memory on that point, I guess it makes sense that there won't be an additional SE AL-star color for 2012.

Chi Town
May 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
I got my Apple Green from The Write Desk, then just had to wait a while for it's delivery. Man o man is it Bright Green!

etoyoc
May 10th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I received mine from the writing desk as well. It is a nice green. I haven't inked it yet, because I just haven't decided what ink to use. Honestly, I figure it will write like my other safari's, so I haven't been in a rush.

Bogon07
May 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I received mine from the writing desk as well. It is a nice green. I haven't inked it yet, because I just haven't decided what ink to use. Honestly, I figure it will write like my other safari's, so I haven't been in a rush.

That's why I ordered mine with a different nib, the LH (left handed) so there was even more incentive to try the pen out.
I was intending to go for an MK or beginner's nib but it wasn't available from the retailer. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooothly the LH which is a sort of modified Medium writes. It is inked with Edelstein Adventurine.

The next Lamy maybe ordered with an OM (oblique medium) or an MK.

Markwil
May 29th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I finally got mine, I ordered it from Goulet Pens with a Black F nib! For some crazy reason I find the Black Lamy nibs to be the smoothest steel nibs I've ever used! The Apple green colour is fantastic and a lot easier on my eyes than the lime green!
Amazingly the price I paid was about $10.00 cheaper than I would've paid for the pen and converter here in Canada and it only took a week and a half to arrive. I filled it with Mont Blanc Irish Green and it's a nice spring time beauty!

Lt. Tom
May 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I got mine from iSellPens last Thursday. I was off the grid up in the mountains all weekend, but this morning I loaded it with J.Herbin Lierre Sauvage, brought it to work with me, and took notes with it all day. I got the medium nib, and I couldn't be happier with it.

tytoalba
June 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
For those who arrived late to the new-release.. lamy nibs are very easy to change.. As Markwil noted above there are other nibs you may request when ordering. Nibs weigh next to nothing, you may wish to purchase extra nibs, in a variety of sizes. Italic 1.1 is fine enough for every day writing. Falls closer to fine point than medium.
My fine nib is loving Diamine Saddle brown. Nice, fluid line on Rhodia pad.

melissa59
June 10th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I found this website that shows a comparison of the EF, 1.1. 1.5 and 1.9 nibs. It also has an embedded copy of Brian Goulet's video show how to change out the nibs.
http://peninkcillin.blogspot.com/2011/10/lamy-nibs-comparison-ef-vs-11mm-15mm.html

I'm trying to learn basic italic, so I'm thinking a 1.5 might be nice.

Bogon07
June 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Rants of the Archer blog has a review of the AppleGreen 2012 Safari including pictures of the special Lamy box his came in & side by side comparison to the lime green edition. Also he shows off some nice penmanship using J. Herbin's Vert Pré ink and some other special edition safaris too.

http://archer-rantings.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/fountain-pen-review-lamy-safari-2012.html