PDA

View Full Version : Almost not a Parker

Farmboy
September 3rd, 2022, 01:30 PM
We lack interesting Parker pens to discuss.

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
September 3rd, 2022, 06:44 PM
Very nice

Chrissy
September 4th, 2022, 01:40 AM
Lovely. :)

Yorvik Pens
September 9th, 2022, 05:23 AM
Very nice.
A De-Re-Badged Parker. I presume there is no barrel imprint?

Jerome Tarshis
September 10th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Is there going to be a dignified pause, to arouse suspense, after which Farmboy is going to explain what "Almost not a Parker" means?

Vacnut
October 23rd, 2022, 07:28 PM
Does it have a button filler, meant for a Victory Pen? The clip looks like a typical Victory clip, unless it is a replacement. Perhaps made for a Diamond Medal Pen?

FredRydr
October 25th, 2022, 06:40 AM
Is there going to be a dignified pause, to arouse suspense, after which Farmboy is going to explain what "Almost not a Parker" means?

And what a pause it is!

Farmboy
October 25th, 2022, 09:58 AM
The pen is configured like a pen made under contract to Sears in the Diamond Medal line but ended up as a Parker branded pen. Speculation is Parker had an over run during manufacture and used up the parts.

The pen is 100% correct and there are no English parts on the pen. These turn up in all 3 of the DM colors.

Yorvik Pens
October 31st, 2022, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=Farmboy;375108]We lack interesting Parker pens to discuss.

Here is an interesting Parker pen, I am happy to discuss this one.

Farmboy
October 31st, 2022, 07:11 PM
Ok. Start discussing!

Yorvik Pens
November 2nd, 2022, 04:33 AM
Ok. Start discussing!

Fair enough.
The pen I show is a 1940 (second quarter) "1.5th" generation Vacumatic.
The cap is the same as a 1st generation Standard cap, both in profile (parallel sides) and threading. Except, it features a cap band from a second-generation Major.
The barrel is streamlined as you would expect from a second gen pen, but the barrel threads are the same as a first gen Standard, to match the cap.
This pen cannot be made by mixing 1st and second-gen pen parts (the barrel length is shorter than both of these types).
These "1.5th" gen pens are known to collectors and have been found with three thin cap bands from the earlier series pens.
What makes this one a little odd, is that it features the chevron cap band from the Major.
I have previously found an identical cap to this one (without a clip), but I believe this is the first full pen found in this configuration unless anyone knows of another.
And yes, It was made in Canada (what a surprise).

FredRydr
November 2nd, 2022, 04:53 AM
Interesting! Had the other cap lost its clip, or was it clipless?

Yorvik Pens
November 2nd, 2022, 05:02 AM
The first cap I found was missing its clip and screw.
Interestingly, this clip may be unique to this pen. I have never seen a split feather clip that fits a first gen Standard cap, even the Senior Max split feather clip is too small.

FredRydr
November 3rd, 2022, 09:02 AM
I hope the box and instructions are Canadian to match the pen. Nice find!