PDA

View Full Version : Al-Star Nib with a bit of a wobble.

heath
August 26th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I have a Lamy AL-Star that has had a nib with a bit of wobble. It isn't loose in that it will come on and off easily. It is actually no easier than any other Lamy nib to remove. When I write though, or touch it with my finger, it will wobble slightly side to side. In a solid stream of writing it isn't really noticeable but between certain words or in certain characters it does shift and feels quite disconcerting.

My initial thought it to remove the nib, slightly squeeze it in a bit to make it tighter and then put it back on so it will have a tighter fit. Does anyone have any advice or warnings before I do that.

Thanks in advance!

KrazyIvan
August 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM
I have done it with success. Just know that you might make the pen wetter when you press the "wings" together. The same motion can cause the tines to open up. Check nib alignment after you are happy with fit and adjust accordingly.

Bogon07
August 26th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I would check to make sure the nib is properly seated on the feed and pushed in properly before you try any modifications.
Also when you remove the nib check the feed isn't damaged along the bits where you slide the nib along.

fncll
August 27th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Do you have another Lamy nib you can switch to test? IF the wobble has been there all along, it could be the feed...

countrydirt
August 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I tried what fncil suggested about switching nibs and discovered that the nib was the culprit, not the feed. So, some gentle pressure with my Leatherman tool on the wings of the nib (covered by cloth) and soon the nib was nice and tight.

heath
August 28th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I still haven't had time to try the other nib yet but I hope to tonight. If that's not the issue I'll likely do the squeeze play.

heath
August 28th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Not good, it does it with other nibs as well. Should I just squeeze the nibs or do I need to get the feed looked at? Can I remove the feed and swap it with a safari to see if it may be the section holding the feed or the feed itself? Argh.

KrazyIvan
August 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
The feed just pulls straight out but you have to align it to get it back in. It has a small ridge that lines up with the section. It's on the bottom side of the feed. It should snap in place. Be careful of the portion that fits to the nib, its thin and can break if your not careful.

heath
September 17th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Ok, I used pliers on the nib for this one and it fits tightly now. Not sure what the issue was ultimately.