PDA

View Full Version : Hi, all!

Torus34
October 20th, 2022, 05:51 AM
I'm an old geezer located at the southern tip of Staten Island, NYC. Just two weeks ago while chatting with someone who keeps a diary, I decided to see what my cursive writing looked like. I hadn't written in cursive for about 70 years. I Amazoned up a couple of fountain pens -- fine and medium nib -- and began.

Ugh! Like, I mean, unintelligibly ugh. A scribble, it was. My two pens are in the $20 range, so I don't think I can get away with placing the blame on them.

I've begun the process of forming new mental pathways and suppressing old ones for forming letters. It's slow going, but I can see some progress. I've also started exploring the world of writing papers. There are some delights out there. My goal, longer term, is to get away from email and write old-fashioned pen and ink letters to friends and family.

I've lot's and lot's to learn. Hopefully, this particular old dog can learn new tricks. This site looks like a nice place to start. I'll wander around the forum and see what happens.

Regards, enjoy the onrushing season.

Sailor Kenshin
October 20th, 2022, 07:13 AM
Yes, it's slow….but very possible.

I am a southpaw. My handwriting was sloppy. In elementary school, they kept me back after classes and tried to beat the sinister out of me so I would use my other hand to write. It didn't work, and decades later, using fountain pens helped my penmanship a lot.

Welcome aboard from an almost-neighbor.

Torus34
October 20th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Yes, it's slow….but very possible.

I am a southpaw. My handwriting was sloppy. In elementary school, they kept me back after classes and tried to beat the sinister out of me so I would use my other hand to write. It didn't work, and decades later, using fountain pens helped my penmanship a lot.

Welcome aboard from an almost-neighbor.

I enjoyed your choice of words. There's an elegance in using exactly the right word -- hopefully one with multiple resonances -- in the right place. Sir Winston Churchill was noted for this. During one speech in which he castigated Hitler, he turned his attention to Mussolini with the following: "And Mussolini, Hitler's [long pause], Hitler's utensil, . . . " Now, that's elegance.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Wahl
October 20th, 2022, 01:02 PM
:welcome:

Chrissy
October 20th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Hello and welcome. :)

joolstacho
October 20th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Hello Torus!

OCArt
October 20th, 2022, 11:30 PM
Welcome from another geezer, but perhaps not quite as old as you :)

Bisquitlips
October 22nd, 2022, 09:01 PM
Glad you are with us!

:welcome: