PDA

View Full Version : Carnel Pens, Another Customer Views

Paul-H
August 27th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Hi all

After reading another forum members negative experience with Carnel Pens and the work of their Peter Crook I thought it might be appropriate to post my experience with him.

I had two Parker 51 Vacumatics from the early 1940's that had arrived with some quite bad dents in the caps, and although I am competent at most things relating to pen restoration Parker 51 caps are beyond my abilities as I do not poses the special tools needed to extract the inner workings of the cap to allow for the dent removal.

I contacted a few people in the UK who advertise this service but the only one to respond with the view that they expected a positive outcome to the repair attempt was Peter Crook. So even after reading the report in the other post I took the risk and sent both caps of the Mr Crook.

Today just over a week later I received both caps back and to say I was impressed with his work would be an understatement, he has managed to totally remove the dents almost making the caps look live they where new.

I would not hesitate in using his services again

Paul

Mesu
August 27th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Suggestion: Some before and after pics would help strengthen the positive feedback.

Paul-H
August 27th, 2013, 05:35 AM
I only have a usable before of one of them so will only post the repair of that one.

Paul

Before

After

de_pen_dent
August 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Wow. That's good work. I have a P51 with a leak somewhere - I think I am going to send it to Peter, especially after that nasty bit of character assassination in the other thread. His work looks to be very good and I like the way he handles himself.

Penne Stilografiche
August 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I have no interest in this one way or the other. Having said that the before and after pictures do not appear to be the same cap, clip or upper jewel - after shot has pointed jewel - before shot looks to be beveled - clips do not appear to be the same.

Just saying

They look like the same cap to me. The bottom of both caps have a very similar micro-scratch pattern and both clips seem to be bent in the exact same areas.

Just sayin'.....

Paul-H
August 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Where did the comment from cwent2 above come from?

It is the same cap, the before picture is a crop from the original auction page and the after is is done on my scanner so the perspective is different but that,s all.

And it was only sent away for the dent removal not to have the clip straightened.

Paul

Penne Stilografiche
August 27th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Where did the comment from cwent2 above come from?

Paul

It seems he deleted his post, it was posted in this thread.

piscov
August 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Great Job!

Flounder
August 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your honest appraisal of this work.

I believe the two photos show the same cap.

It looks like the clip position is different in the two pictures, due to the presence of heavy body scratches near the top lip to the right of the clip in the 1st photo, and their absence in the second photo.

If you say the clip is mounted in the same position relative to the dents in both photos, I will take your word for it as the photo taken from the auction is indistinct.

Flounder
August 31st, 2013, 04:21 AM
Wow that wasn't a very good description! I've highlighted the scratched area I'm talking about, & hope you can see why I'd ask.

Paul-H
August 31st, 2013, 10:28 AM
Yes it does look like the clip went back in a different position, which is quite understandable as has to come off the fix the dents and its position is not keyed so it can go back in any position.

The dents are gone and that's all that matters to me.

He did a good job and did it quickly for not much money.

Paul

Flounder
August 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
If the clip went back on in a different position relative to the scratches highlighted, and it follows to the body dents in the 'before' photo, then the 'after' photo does not show the same area for comparison.

Regardless of whether the 'after' photo shows the wrong side of the cap, I consider your example of Carneil Pens having done the job paid for, and without damage, equally as valid as my opposite experience.

AndyT
August 31st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Going by the photos, like Flounder I came to the conclusion that the clip had moved by about a quarter turn. To my mind it's irrelevant, the only thing that matters is that Paul's happy.

Paul-H
September 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hi all

I have had the chance to have a better look today, I had been away from home for a few days so was unable to really confirm anything about the issues regarding this repair.

What I have found is yes the clip has been put back in a slightly different position, the clip actually now covers the area of the repair, which is still undetectable with the loupe helped eye.

So for me its still a first class repair, especially for the money charged.

I would you them again without any worry.

Obviously with any repair there are many unseen issues that might arise, from parts breaking to additional damage being done, those risks are there regardless of who does the job, and have to be accepted as an acceptable risk with having work done on vintage pens.

Its not like you have sent your car to a well known repair place knowing full well they will find a lot more wrong with it you first thought is it. Because thats what they are known, but drivers in their thousands still use them for the alleged KwikFix :).

Still I suppose I could now invest over a £100 in the correct tools to do the next one myself, and I probably will because I am daft like that, aren't we all when it comes to our hobbies.

Paul

Flounder
September 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
I think we're on the same page now (except for the KwikFit analogy, I have no idea what you're on about).

It does puzzle me that the clip being positioned over the previously dented area did not feature in your invoice. You'll recall, in my thread, Mr. Crook's "As you will have found, and this is a clear matter of fact, I choose to send out work done along with an invoice for a customer to settle up having had chance to inspect my work."

In my case, there was no such invoice. Did you get one?

Paul-H
September 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
As to my analogy I was saying if you send your car to the Kwickbodge mob they will find more wrong with your car and it will cost you more than they first estimated, that is their way of doing business. With pen repairs you send it for one job and there is a very good chance only that one job will be done, although it is possible that more will be found or that something will brake that is beyond anyones fault it can just happen.

As for me not asking for the clip not to be put back in a different position, why on earth would I be that petty, it matter not one bit where the clip goes back on, and why would he need to tell me.

And yes I got an invoice for payment after all the work was done and the caps returned for my perusal, how many other people do the job and then accept payment after its been sent back, not many I bet.

Paul

Paul-H
September 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
Still At the end of the day, You where dissatisfied with the repair he did for you so you won't use him again and I was satisfied with the repair he did for me and I will use him again.

Lets leave it at that shall we.

Paul

Alex Thyl
September 7th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Still At the end of the day, You where dissatisfied with the repair he did for you so you won't use him again and I was satisfied with the repair he did for me and I will use him again.

Paul

Flounder, take the above advice. It would be wise for you to drop the "Carneil Pens" subject. And if you ask why, the answer is here: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3177-The-worst-workmanship-I-ve-yet-encountered-Carneil-Pens/page2?highlight=carneil

I am a long time collector myself and I send my pens for restoration and repair to Mr Crook. For the simple reason: he has a reputation amongst professionals and collectors. I am in a far away country and only one name came up when I asked for a repairman.

Strange it may seem, but Mr Crook has two of my pens for repair at the moment.

Annie
September 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Paul

Flounder, take the above advice. It would be wise for you to drop the "Carneil Pens" subject. And if you ask why, the answer is here: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3177-The-worst-workmanship-I-ve-yet-encountered-Carneil-Pens/page2?highlight=carneil

I am a long time collector myself and I send my pens for restoration and repair to Mr Crook. For the simple reason: he has a reputation amongst professionals and collectors. I am in a far away country and only one name came up when I asked for a repairman.

Really pleased you have found someone you trust to do your repairs. But (didn't you just know there would be a 'but...') I don't see why Flounder should 'drop the subject.' He reported his experience with this repair person and that's still valid.

Flounder
September 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Possibly you meant to link here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3177-The-worst-workmanship-I-ve-yet-encountered-Carneil-Pens?p=43883&viewfull=1#post43883), rather than Annie's response to Deb's 'no difference between jewels' quote, which I wasn't quick enough to refute (http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Carneil%20Pens%20Workmanship/Parker%2051%20Cap%20Jewels%20Original%20vs%20Ersat z/OriginalampErsatz4.jpg) before the thread was locked.

I felt it useful to reply to Paul's thread. If I hadn't, The OP and other visitors to this thread would still assume that the before and after photos matched up.

Beyond that I've recognised the legitimacy of Paul's feedback (as stated above). That's why I've said no more on the subject. Rest assured I have read Mr. Crook's response in my thread. I've given the mods my response to that (almost a fortnight ago), in addition to further evidence that backs up my version of events. It is not up to me whether it gets posted or not.