PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149 - did Montblanc ever make them?

FredRydr
November 7th, 2022, 08:05 PM
Montblanc Meisterstück Gold Coated Fountain Pen 149
Mind you, this is going to generate a lot of commentary, with or without a $600 USD asking price.

I don't recall there being such a pen manufactured by Montblanc. Solid gold, yes, but not gold plated, coated, filled or the like in the 149 size. Does anyone have relevant information?

FredRydr
November 8th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Never mind. The seller finally posted a photo and it's a typical resin pen, and was only referencing the accoutrement (clip and bands).

Chrissy
November 8th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Never mind. The seller finally posted a photo and it's a typical resin pen, and was only referencing the accoutrement (clip and bands).
Yes, he said gold coated when he meant gold trim. :(

Scrawler
November 8th, 2022, 01:18 PM
Yes, he said gold coated when he meant gold trim. :(

Well that is disappointing. I was hoping for something new to me or horribly controversial.

Barry B. Gabay
November 8th, 2022, 02:20 PM
Hi Fred, Interesting question. There were gold-plated or rolled-gold store display 149s and 146s which Montblanc made and sent to stores which carried the solid gold Meisterstucks. At a pen show in the early 1990s, I saw and handled a 149 which was either gold-plated or rolled-gold. I don't recall which. It was extremely light weight although it had a piston mechanism, 18C nib, and feed. It had the pinstripe pattern, which at the time was the only pattern on solid-gold 149s I had seen. It was shown around a hotel room by a well-known European repairman and pen dealer. He said that the display 149s and 146s were far rarer than the solid-gold models. That must be true. I have seen numerous solid-gold 149s, 146s, & 144s over the years, but only one of the gold-plated or rolled-gold models. It was a remarkable and very rare pen to hold, examine, and appreciate.

dneal
November 11th, 2022, 11:39 AM
In fairness to the seller, “gold coated” is exactly how Montblanc describes the pen on their site.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/fountain-pens_cod30828384629622781.html