PDA

View Full Version : Start them young with a Sheaffer fountain pen

FredRydr
November 8th, 2022, 06:47 AM
This sat on the counter of the late Bert Heiserman's The Pen Haven in Kensington, Maryland.

He always priced it so it wouldn't sell. He enjoyed it too much to let it go.

welch
November 8th, 2022, 06:59 AM
My first fountain pen was a Sheaffer school pen, about 1957, in 4th grade. I can't remember if the school gave us the pens or if my parents bought it at a drugstore.

A few years ago, someone posted a beautifully researched story about Sheaffer's program of giving schools packets of school pens, each with cartridges and a booklet on writing cursive. A brilliant marketing idea -- "start them young" and they will always choose a Sheaffer pen. Unfortunately, the entire fountain pen world turned upside down and fountain pens shook out, gradually replaced by ballpoints for at-school and portable typewriters cheap enough that families could buy one and their kids could type papers.

welch
November 8th, 2022, 07:35 AM
And I must be remembering this, by Lexaf in 2018:

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/23706-Sheaffer-School-pens-How-it-started

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2022, 08:08 PM
The earliest remaining example of my use of a Sheaffer School pen:

https://imgur.com/mfzM5Vc.jpg

Marsilius
November 8th, 2022, 11:12 PM
I can't remember if my first was a Sheaffer or a No-Nonsense, probably the former. But both were purchased at the local convenience store in the stationary area. That and an ICEE.

sirtoti
December 30th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Sheaffer's always had a very nice school pens /entry line. It's a bit of a shame how the brand works nowadays. Probably the most innovative brand in fountain pen's history, since my point of view.

Ron Z
December 30th, 2022, 04:08 PM
My first fountain pen was a Wearever cartridge pen, which produced an intense an life long dislike of the brand. It has not abated in the last 57 years. My next one as a Sheaffer school pen, and it saw quite a bit of use before it disappeared into a parallel universe.

welch
January 7th, 2023, 09:18 AM
I forgot my Sheaffer school pen when IO got a Parker 45 for Christmas, about 1960. Ah, the smooth medium point! The converter that I used everyday, and the large cartridge I carried as backup.

I remember the Sheaffer as scratchy.