has PW Akkerman inks in the double chamber bottle for sale
$39 per bottle plus shipping ($4.50) in the Continental USA

Lisa and Mike Vanness
Vanness Pen Shop
Little Rock Arkansas
vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

writingrav
August 27th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Who is "we" and how does one go about purchasing a bottle?

sloegin
August 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I believe they are a pen store in Little Rock, Arkansas.

pencils+pens
August 27th, 2013, 04:29 PM
"They" is Vaness Pen Shop (https://vanness1938.com/). I bought my Visconti Traveling Ink Well from them not long ago. I was very happy with the transaction.

heath
August 27th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Is it just me or isn't that more expensive than direct from the mfg to the USA? I priced it about a month ago though so I cant remember exactly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

earthdawn
August 27th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Is it just me or isn't that more expensive than direct from the mfg to the USA? I priced it about a month ago though so I cant remember exactly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Yes it is more ... You can get them shipped direct to the states to you for less especilally if you buy 3 bottles at a time.

BUT that said,

1. Vaness Pen shop is VERY well known and is a fantastic retailer.
2. They have done this as a service and not a profit maker. They don't get a discount from Akkerman.
3. The time it takes to repackage and add in the creditcard fees they incur when re-selling is slim to none.
4. In the end people who want just 1 bottle and don't want to invest $80 at a time can have one.

I mean I know I have a problem lol.. so ordering 3 bottles at a time and more than once is ok. At least to me :crazy_pilot:

I have seen the group buys done to help keep costs down. I know that it is a daunting task for the person doing it as well.

I really think it is great that Vaness has gone out of their way to help get these sought after inks to people here in the states.

Laura N
August 27th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Having mailed one myself today, I can attest that shipping these bottles within the US is very expensive.

Everyone should have bought mine. :)

ETA: I've only emailed the folks at Vaness, but they seem wonderful, and if I wanted one bottle I'd buy from them.

writingrav
August 27th, 2013, 05:28 PM
"They" is Vaness Pen Shop (https://vanness1938.com/). I bought my Visconti Traveling Ink Well from them not long ago. I was very happy with the transaction.
I don't see any mention of Akkerman Inks on their site

jde
August 27th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I don't see any mention of Akkerman Inks on their site

My understanding is that Akkerman has asked them not to post the ink on their site. You can call the Vanness store and talk to them. Edited to add: here's an FPN link confirming that Vanness has been asked not to put the ink on their site. (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249778-akkerman-ink/?p=2751011)

vanness1938
August 28th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Vanness Pen Shop
Little Rock Arkansas
501 353-2362
vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

Saintpaulia
August 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Having mailed one myself today, I can attest that shipping these bottles within the US is very expensive.

ETA: I've only emailed the folks at Vaness, but they seem wonderful, and if I wanted one bottle I'd buy from them.

Their shipping is in addition to the $39 per bottle. So your statement is sort of beside the point.

Laura N
August 29th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Their shipping is in addition to the $39 per bottle. So your statement is sort of beside the point.

Oh, sorry.

To me, every company in the business of selling fountain pens and inks has to make a profit on their wares; otherwise they don't stay in business. So I don't see why Vaness shouldn't make a (very slim) profit on Akkerman. They are taking a risk by stocking it. In my experience, these bottles are hard to ship, which requires more time and care in packaging. So I think, for people who only want one bottle, and don't want to organize a group buy or wait for one, it's a great option. YMMV. It's just my opinion.

vanness1938
August 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Today Vanness Pen Shop sold out of two color of the Akkerman ink. Courtyard Blue & Groenmarkt Emerald. And; I have only one bottle of Passage Blue, Deep Water Blue Dune, Parkpop Purple, Orange Top and Denneweg Green. If you would like any of the colors that are remaining; please send us an email vanness1938@sbcglobal.net Mike & Lisa Vanness (having fun in HOT Little Rock)

carlos.q
August 29th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Even at $39.00 a bottle, this ink is more economical than others:

Iroshizuku at $21.00 for 50ml (Amazon low price) : 0.42/ml
Pelikan Edelstein at $20.00 for 50ml (Amazon low price) : 0.40/ml
Montblanc at $17.00 for 50ml : 0.34/ml
Akkerman at $39.00 for 150ml (Vanness) : 0.26/ml

I welcome the opportunity to try one of these inks that otherwise would not be readily available. So I eagerly await my economical and very beautiful bottle of #13 Simplisties Violet from the friendly people at Vanness! :dance3:

earthdawn
August 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM

I welcome the opportunity to try one of these inks that otherwise would not be readily available. So I eagerly await my economical and very beautiful bottle of #13 Simplisties Violet from the friendly people at Vanness! :dance3:

You are gonna love that #13 .. it was one of my first Akkerman inks and is one of my favorites!!!

ChrisC
August 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM

Montblanc is 60mL a bottle, so about $0.28/mL, and one has to factor in the shipping cost of the Akkerman, and the fact that MB is at many B&M shops, so all you pay extra is sales tax.

But that's true. The 150mL does help offset the cost. However, if one doesn't like the ink, then you have approximately 150 days of heavy writing to use it up. (assuming 1mL a day) Many of us don't write that often, so that 150 days can double, maybe triple. I wouldn't want to be stuck with such a large quantity. Part of the fun of fountain pens, for me, at least, is trying new inks, trying to top our current favorite. It's harder to do that when buying in bulk.

Still though, it does make the Akkerman much more attractive when one considers that it's cheaper than some other offerings that are widely accepted by the market.

But I prefer Montblanc. Its smaller ink bottle lets you sample more colors for less money, and its design is just as practical as the Akkerman, imho. You also get the huge white stars/snow peaks on your desk that many of us seem to be so fond of (including me).

carlos.q
August 30th, 2013, 05:34 AM

Montblanc is 60mL a bottle, so about $0.28/mL, and one has to factor in the shipping cost of the Akkerman, and the fact that MB is at many B&M shops, so all you pay extra is sales tax.

But I prefer Montblanc. Its smaller ink bottle lets you sample more colors for less money, and its design is just as practical as the Akkerman, imho. You also get the huge white stars/snow peaks on your desk that many of us seem to be so fond of (including me).
You are absolutely correct about the 60ml Montblanc bottles... Although living on an island most of the time I have to factor in a shipping cost. In this case, even including shipping, the Akkerman is less expensive for me than Iroshizuku or Edelstein.

On the other hand, I believe it's not a matter of preferring one brand over another. After all, I haven't tried out the Akkerman inks so I can't make that call. Don't get me wrong, I like my Montblanc inks, specially my Midnight blue. But I also like my R&K, Diamine, Waterman, Pelikan, etc. and they all get a place in my rotation.

Variety is the spice of life! :hippie:

vanness1938
August 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
You are forgetting to factor in the bottle's "cool factor"!
I am out of some colors: Shocking Blue, Courtyard Blue, Simplisties Violet, Parkpop Purple, Orange Top and Groenmarkt Emerald.
Only one bottle remaining of these: Passage Blue, Deep Water Blue Dune, Zuiderpark Blue-Green and Denneweg Green.