PDA

View Full Version : Signing in

The Kalendar Prince
November 14th, 2022, 12:45 AM
Hello denizens.

New to the site - rummaging and orientation in progress!

Not new to fountain pens. Not a collector - have two, both Pilot, a Capless and a companion Decimo.

May be interested in branching out. Modern pens only, open to suggestions under $500. Interested in nibs from extra fine to italic, no medium blobs or broad blobs, and no weird shapes {I am looking at you architect nib!}

Yazeh
November 14th, 2022, 12:54 AM
:welcome:

The Kalendar Prince
November 14th, 2022, 01:19 AM
Thank you. Looking forward to the journey.

jar
November 14th, 2022, 06:11 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. If you like Pilot then maybe take a look at the other Japanese makers like Sailor, Platinum and Eboya (https://eboyashop.com/pages/about-eboya). Most of the ebonite used by Pilot, Sailor and Platinum is made by Eboya.

TSherbs
November 14th, 2022, 06:14 AM
Have you tried a fountain pen yet with a regular open nib? Have you tried steel nibs yet?

Wahl
November 14th, 2022, 09:17 AM
:welcome:

The Kalendar Prince
November 14th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Open nibs, not yet. Steel nibs, what advantage would that have on a gold nib other than cost?

TSherbs
November 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Open nibs, not yet. Steel nibs, what advantage would that have on a gold nib other than cost?

Better made, better writing experience, at 1/10 the cost. Some gold nibs are terrible. Some steel nibs are wonderful. Some people feel that gold nibs are a scam meant only to extract $ from non-discerning consumers. The same metal tipping is found on both steel and gold nibs (the gold has no contact with the paper).

I recommend that you at least sample a high-quality steel nib for its writing experience (I own both gold and steel).