PDA

View Full Version : Semikolon journals

Adhizen
August 28th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I just recieved as a gift a journal from a company called SemiKolon. Its a very nice hard bound book covered in linen... paper seems a bit thin with a very nice texture... Seems over all well made. I haven't put ink to page yet. Was wondering if anyone has heard of this brand?

cwent2
August 28th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Semikolon is a unique German design product line that was made possible thanks to the creative insight of Gunther Dezholfer, 25 years ago.

gunther_Dezholfer.jpg

How Semikolon came about
Working as head buyer in an edgy German department store, Gunther recognized the flaw’s of treasured everyday items. He felt that a vast majority of these dull, bureaucratic and colorless products lacked personality or simply put all looked the same.

Tired of buying these items, he decided to create his own line of stationery, photo albums as well as office organizing products in bold contemporary colors that stand out. He wanted to bring brightness to everyday life and was profoundly convinced that expressing yourself leads to feeling good.

The Semikolon line caught the eye of Guy Bélanger, President of Pierre Belvédère and in 2005 Gunther and Guy joined forces.

Sadly, Gunther passed away in 2009 leaving behind him a true legacy,

The Semikolon passion lives on with our team and we strive to continue to offer products that reflect Gunther’s design known for its edge in functionality and design.

Naming Semikolon
Gunther was very much inspired by the semicolon. The semicolon helps you connect closely related ideas when a punctuation mark stronger than a comma is needed. A semicolon gives a certain sophistication and denotation to your sentence.

And this is how Semikolon came about simply in reference to the meaning of the punctuation mark. All Semikolon designed products link each other in style, use, color and practicability.

nope googled it

Adhizen
August 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I guess I could have asked the "Great and Powerful Google" too :) I'll spread some ink around on some of the pages and see what happens

elderberry
August 28th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Around here their products are pretty common and the laid paper used in their notebooks is actually very fountain pen friendly. I am halfway through a "Grand Voyage" at the moment and haven't had any unpleasant suprises yet. The paper has a pleasant color and a bit of tooth though not too much. Also they lie flat. I like them though they are not the cheapest of brands.

Newjelan
August 31st, 2013, 12:52 AM
Yes, they're readily available in Australia too. Lovely looking range that is well made. They are a little overpriced IMHO. Having said that, I have used a couple of their notebooks and they're very good.

writingrav
August 31st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Ordered one. The paper sounds great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AndyT
October 21st, 2013, 07:06 AM
I've just received a couple of Semikolon "organisational cahiers" - they're a bit out of the ordinary. Not sure what the usual prices are like, because these came up as a special offer and promptly sold out in a matter of hours - rather expensive most likely. Features:

148 sheets/296 pages
Two ribbon markers
Rounded corners
Colourful stripy design
Set of stickers included

Available in A6, A5 and A4 sizes, and 12 cover colours

The paper is creamy off-white and has a textured surface, not really a laid type but the feel is similar. There are plenty of nice little details (but no elastic closure) and the books definitely have a quality feel.

I'm not in the habit of photographing stationery, but these are rather photogenic, so with Adhizen's permission here's some eye candy:

Stripy spines:

Headbands and double ribbon markers:

Organisational stuff and textured paper:

Weekly and monthly planners:

Detachable pages and fancy ribbon:

Colourful endpapers:

"The pleasure of writing on a ribbed paper structure":

Lots of stickers:

And that's quite enough stationery fetishism from me. :)

Newjelan
October 25th, 2013, 12:56 AM
The Semikolon Cahiers also come in B5 and I've just finished the one I've been using for work. The quality is outstanding and they're very fountain pen friendly. I did find that I had to use "wetter" pens as anything close to the dry side would dry out after about 1/2 page of writing. They're great quality but a bit pricey.