PDA

View Full Version : I think I like pencils better than FPs.

manoeuver
November 28th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Simply because, just by looking at a pencil, I can tell:

if it'll write
how it'll write
how much longer I'll be able to use it

without maintenance.

after decades of heavy FP use I'm just sick of picking up a pen (because, y'know, I need to write something) and having to get up to fill, prime or clean it.

and a hundred bucks gets me a lifetime supply of just about any wood-cased pencil I could want. The really nice ones are only a few bucks.

I dunno. What do you think?

joolstacho
November 28th, 2022, 02:49 PM
Horses for courses.

FredRydr
November 28th, 2022, 02:52 PM
...What do you think?

I think you could buy barrels of instant coffee to put an end to filling and maintaining all those fancy machines. :bolt:

Ron Z
November 28th, 2022, 03:05 PM
I think that the only thing that I've used a pencil for is to mark a board before I cut it. I don't like pencils.

Jon Szanto
November 28th, 2022, 04:40 PM
Utility is for the weak. If you wanted expedience and function, you'd be drinking cheap-ass coffee. I think it's a phase, because anyone who mucks with a soldering iron as much as you do can put up with ink sticks. Maybe just after a break of some period, eh?

Lady Onogaro
November 28th, 2022, 08:43 PM
Use the right tool for the right job is my motto when it comes to writing implements.

christof
November 29th, 2022, 12:07 AM
I love pencils too and use them often. But for me, Lady Onogaro's statement hits the nail on the head:

I would never write a postcard or letter to a friend in pencil. No more than I would mark a board with my fountain pen :)

kazoolaw
November 29th, 2022, 04:28 AM
On construction site with client who whisks the 51 out of my hand and begins to illustrate his point on a 2 x 4.
Gulp. Grab back. No harm done, but it's not going to be a regular occurrence either.

TSherbs
November 29th, 2022, 05:43 AM

if it'll write
how it'll write

without maintenance.

after decades of heavy FP use I'm just sick of picking up a pen (because, y'know, I need to write something) and having to get up to fill, prime or clean it.

and a hundred bucks gets me a lifetime supply of just about any wood-cased pencil I could want. The really nice ones are only a few bucks.

If pencils were good enough for Thoreau and Whitman, then they are "good enough" for me. But I avoid them in my spoiled, cushy life.

TSherbs
November 29th, 2022, 05:44 AM
On construction site with client who whisks the 51 out of my hand and begins to illustrate his point on a 2 x 4.

You should start a story thread with that first sentence....

Sailor Kenshin
November 29th, 2022, 08:14 AM

if it'll write
how it'll write

without maintenance.

I'm ALMOST there.

But then I see some ink I need to mix, or a quirky pen, and it's off to the races once more.

FredRydr
November 29th, 2022, 09:42 AM
It's all so subjective. Another example: why buy pencils when you can hoard free ballpoints from the bank?

manoeuver
November 29th, 2022, 02:40 PM
I knew this would be fun. Lots of awesome takes, I truly appreciate every one.

In this case I'm not eliminating fountain pens (although I am downsizing drastically.)

I think it's just a shift, when I'm writing casually, to reach for a pencil instead of a pen.

Writing checks or signing documents will call for a pen, and it'll be one of my many beautiful fountain pens, and maybe I'll do a better job keeping them in writing condition if there aren't so many.

The coffee comparison is off I think. Rather than switching to instant (bank ballpoints) it's more like switching to tea in the afternoon because too much coffee is interfering with my sleep.

It didn't bother me as much before but as I lurch into senescence it's no longer desirable to be surrounded by pens, few of which will write if called upon to do so.

Cyril
May 14th, 2023, 10:53 AM
Pencil is a good tool for artists and it is the instrument that help to make the blue print as the first idea. I love pencils and seen lot of top arts done by pencils. I am too attracted to pencils and haven't used them as ink I am using.
I had to chance to look into many vintage pencils ( as mechanical pencils ) so I believe there had been an era when the pencils had it's place for writing and drawing in the art field.
Now during the digital era we have something similar to a pencil which replicate many known features of a classic ( LED ) pencil on a digital canvas. I am very impressed by the iPencil or Apple Pencil which I am trying to get to know.

RobJohnson
May 14th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Pencils are also useful for improving your italic, stub or oblique nib technique.

Take two sharpened pencils, bind them together with sticky tape, the points should level when the pencils are at 90 degrees to the page.

Hold the pencils straight and you can produce the effect of a stub, practice O C Q etc, hold the pencils at about 30 degrees for an oblique effect.

manoeuver
May 14th, 2023, 12:39 PM
five months later and I'm still enjoying using pencils quite a bit.

I've sold off a handful of pens; that is slower going than I'd hoped.

for carrying around, a wood cased pencil just won't do, they lack clips (I got some accommodation clips and don't like them.)

Instead of a shirt pen, usually a Pilot Prera clipped to the neck of my t-shirt:
https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/shirt-pen.jpg

I'll be trying just a pocket pen. I've got several to chooses from in stock, first up is a cheap Chinese slip-cap pen show freebie one of my kids brought home and never used.

I like the Kaweco sports well enough but the caps tend to screw off in my pocket. I have had decent luck with a Pilot Kakuno in the pocket also.

Been using my pencils a lot, but mostly at my desks at work and home.

Chuck Naill
May 14th, 2023, 05:13 PM
As much as I’ve enjoyed collecting old Autopoint pencils, the feel of painted wood and cedar fragrance is at least more appealing. I love using the stage KUM sharpening tool.

My favorite and most affordable brand is Mitsubishi.

manoeuver
May 14th, 2023, 07:44 PM
As much as I’ve enjoyed collecting old Autopoint pencils, the feel of painted wood and cedar fragrance is at least more appealing. I love using the stage KUM sharpening tool.

I've tried various mechanical pencils, have some nice vintage ones too.
I too just prefer the wood pencils, and enjoy using the long point sharpeners.
A friend of mine gave me a Mitsubishi and it's a favorite.

DanceOfLight
May 15th, 2023, 03:49 AM

Mitsubishi - Do you mean the pure malt ? - if yes, this is once of my favourites too. The other ones are the Lamy 2000 blackWood and the Caran d'Ache china black (Urushi).

DanceOfLight
May 15th, 2023, 03:50 AM
Does it flex ? ;)

manoeuver
May 15th, 2023, 04:52 AM

Mitsubishi - Do you mean the pure malt ? - if yes, this is once of my favourites too. The other ones are the Lamy 2000 blackWood and the Caran d'Ache china black (Urushi).
talking about these:
https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Mitsubishi-Hi-Uni-Pencil-HB/pd/10968

that pure malt does look nice.

manoeuver
May 15th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Does it flex ? ;)
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Chuck Naill
May 15th, 2023, 08:36 AM
I’m referring to the Mitsubishi 9850 with the white eraser. Like the Blackwing 601, dark led with only light pressure needed.

Amazon has them for $9 per dozen. I’ve given most of them to the grandchildren, but keep two or three on tap most of the time.

Chuck Naill
May 15th, 2023, 08:37 AM
Sorry lead…lol!

BlkWhiteFilmPix
May 15th, 2023, 12:26 PM
five months later and I'm still enjoying using pencils quite a bit.

I've sold off a handful of pens; that is slower going than I'd hoped.

for carrying around, a wood cased pencil just won't do, they lack clips (I got some accommodation clips and don't like them.)

Instead of a shirt pen, usually a Pilot Prera clipped to the neck of my t-shirt:
https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/shirt-pen.jpg

I'll be trying just a pocket pen. I've got several to chooses from in stock, first up is a cheap Chinese slip-cap pen show freebie one of my kids brought home and never used.

I like the Kaweco sports well enough but the caps tend to screw off in my pocket. I have had decent luck with a Pilot Kakuno in the pocket also.

Been using my pencils a lot, but mostly at my desks at work and home.

Lately I've been carrying a box of Crayola colored pencils along with my Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 in my Banana Republic Paratrooper's satchel.

The pencils fill in colors more delicately than ink on the Tomoe River paper in the notebook. I've torn the thin TR paper a couple of times while filling in sketches with ink.

Dougc
May 15th, 2023, 03:01 PM
I have to say that pencils are right up there with fountain pens in my book.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

JulieParadise
May 16th, 2023, 12:25 AM
I’m referring to the Mitsubishi 9850 with the white eraser. Like the Blackwing 601, dark led with only light pressure needed.

Amazon has them for $9 per dozen. I’ve given most of them to the grandchildren, but keep two or three on tap most of the time.

Oh, these are among my favourites! The beautiful red lacquer and the contrast to the white eraser (the leads are great, too)! Yeah, these are very nice pencils indeed!

penwash
May 16th, 2023, 07:10 AM
I'll take a different stance.

I love to sketch, but most instructions and instructors use pencils.
I don't love the experience of using pencils to sketch, as well as the result.
So much that I stopped sketching.

Fountain pens and inks, surprisingly, made me love sketching again.
That is but one reason why I love fountain pens.
No pencils for me.

** Having said that, I do use pencils in my sketches only when I am faced with a challenging subject. But when I erase those pencil marks, I am happy.

manoeuver
May 16th, 2023, 10:52 AM

No pencils for me.

** Having said that, I do use pencils in my sketches only when I am faced with a challenging subject. But when I erase those pencil marks, I am happy.

your fp sketches bring joy to so many! I love drawring with pencils and I need to do it more.

today my youngest (home sick from school) suggested we draw so we did! a few eyes closed things, then eyes open surfboard, dude and pizza.

https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/20230516_1248236024273936261444430-scaled.jpg

looks like my dude severely injured his ankle.

manoeuver
May 16th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Lately I've been carrying a box of Crayola colored pencils along with my Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 in my Banana Republic Paratrooper's satchel.

The pencils fill in colors more delicately than ink on the Tomoe River paper in the notebook. I've torn the thin TR paper a couple of times while filling in sketches with ink.

I like watercolor pencils a lot. much like regular colored pencils, but a quick swish with a damp brush and it just looks great.

https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/khez-shirt.png

R.A. Stewart
May 16th, 2023, 04:25 PM
On construction site with client who whisks the 51 out of my hand and begins to illustrate his point on a 2 x 4. ...

That right there could be the prologue of a murder mystery, except only a small cadre of FP devotees would understand the motive.

penwash
May 16th, 2023, 05:08 PM

No pencils for me.

your fp sketches bring joy to so many! I love drawring with pencils and I need to do it more.

today my youngest (home sick from school) suggested we draw so we did! a few eyes closed things, then eyes open surfboard, dude and pizza.

https://timhofmann.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/20230516_1248236024273936261444430-scaled.jpg

looks like my dude severely injured his ankle.

The coolest thing here is that you get to spend that precious time.
All the nitpickings on which writing tools we like, pales in comparison to actually having fun drawing... with your loved ones. :)

manoeuver
May 17th, 2023, 04:59 AM
All the nitpickings on which writing tools we like, pales in comparison to actually having fun drawing... with your loved ones. :)

you said it! hope to initiate some massive group drawing next month when the whole family (parents, sibs, everyone's kids) is together for a week.

christof
May 17th, 2023, 06:00 AM
Both pencils and fountain pens are excellent drawing instruments. I like them both equally.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7922/40311954433_5046c21b37.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51882069491_599ce16122.jpg

...would be a difficult decision if I could only have one.

penwash
May 17th, 2023, 08:24 AM

you said it! hope to initiate some massive group drawing next month when the whole family (parents, sibs, everyone's kids) is together for a week.

That sounds like an event in itself. Pick a subject that is fun to draw, OR a word prompt for everyone to draw together.
And watch everyone's interpretations go many different directions. I do this in my sketching workshop at the Dallas Pen Show. Tons of fun.

DanceOfLight
May 17th, 2023, 02:02 PM

That sounds like an event in itself. Pick a subject that is fun to draw, OR a word prompt for everyone to draw together.
And watch everyone's interpretations go many different directions. I do this in my sketching workshop at the Dallas Pen Show. Tons of fun.

Include MidJourney, Dall-E and Stabe-Diffusion just for fun :ph34r:

Cyril
June 14th, 2023, 06:06 AM
Pens or pencils.?? I thinks both at the same time. I have a great stop of pencils and recently I have ordered some more mechanical pencil leds which included some colour lens . it is a great fun!!

Dougc
June 15th, 2023, 09:21 AM
.9s have become my favorite. There is is variation in the writing and I don't break them.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

RobJohnson
June 19th, 2023, 01:52 PM

I thought you might like this image

Sailor Kenshin
June 20th, 2023, 07:12 AM

WANT!

wingwiper
July 3rd, 2023, 11:29 AM

WANT!

that is too funny..................I like pencils as well, but FP's will always be my favorite

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.4805107519.1610/raf,750x1000,075,t,FFFFFF:97ab1c12de.jpg