PDA

View Full Version : On the hunt for my first Italian pen

jdwhitak
December 2nd, 2022, 01:51 PM
So, I've primarily owned Japanese pens with some German pens sprinkled in. Thinking I might want to give Italian pens a try.

Are Italian pens like a lot of things Italian? Nice to look at, but not well made? Primarily looking at the ASC and Aurora lineup.

Jon Szanto
December 2nd, 2022, 02:56 PM
Avoid ASC (too long a story).

Aurora is a solid choice, with the only consideration is maybe to be able to try the nibs in person. Aurora is known for a particular feel/feedback that is not 'poor quality' but a very distinct aesthetic. I happen to love them and have many other kinds of pens/nib, as well.

Leonardo Officina Italiana are making some remarkable pens at good price points. The number of pens they have been putting out in the last few years (a very young company with deep roots) is astonishing, from their regular line-up to many short-run special edition pens. Lots of Italianate charm without being quite so over-the-top, and very good quality.

Santini is also a very nice Italian line of pens, also somewhat recent. A little more Baroque in design than LOI but still not gaudy.

The above is on the assumption that you are after new pens, not vintage.

TSherbs
December 2nd, 2022, 03:58 PM
I bought a Maiora Alpha Oroarancio 14K (medium) for my retirement (direct from Italy at a discount) that I love. It's a fat pen, and not perfect. But very Italian in its heritage and look.

Wile E Coyote
December 2nd, 2022, 04:12 PM
Are Italian pens like a lot of things Italian? Nice to look at, but not well made? Primarily looking at the ASC and Aurora lineup.

Nice to look at, not well made, and a lot of maintenance. But we love them anyway. Just like all things Italian.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 2nd, 2022, 05:03 PM
There have been quite a few reports of modern Aurora's cracking. There's been quite a few reports of poor quality control of the nibs on Leonardo's. However, if you look at the broad sweep of commentary across all brands you will see that nothing is perfect, and it really comes down to whether on balance you feel the risk is worth it.

Also, as Mr Szanto notes, you haven't said if you are looking for modern or vintage.

Personally I would go with a Santini.

724Seney
December 3rd, 2022, 12:45 PM
Are you "in" to vintage pens?
If yes, IMO you can't beat a pre Y2K Omas.
In fact, for the same money as a 1990's Omas you could probably get a really nice one from the 30's - 40's. One with one of their amazing nibs from that era.

chaunceytoben
December 4th, 2022, 09:37 AM
I have several celluloid ASC pens and vowed not to purchase from them again. The pens are poorly engineered and cheaply manufactured, regardless of the price point. The company appears to value margins over putting out a quality product. I also do not believe they have any real connection to Italy besides using Italian celluloid (USA company, Bock nibs, apparently Indian-made parts/hardware).

Re: Italian pens
Aurora makes consistently great pens. Nibs are tuned to be on the drier and with feedback, though always consistent writers.

Visconti modern pens seem to have solid QC and I've enjoyed their new in-house nibs that I've tried

Leonardo makes probably the best product vs. price point on the market. Can't go wrong with their offerings IMO but haven't tried their new in-house nibs.

Omas pens are tempting on the used market but the quality really varies based on the era the pens are produced so there are duds out there.

I don't have much experience with other brands -- Stipula, Delta, Santini

724Seney
December 4th, 2022, 11:32 AM
I have several celluloid ASC pens and vowed not to purchase from them again. The pens are poorly engineered and cheaply manufactured, regardless of the price point. The company appears to value margins over putting out a quality product. I also do not believe they have any real connection to Italy besides using Italian celluloid (USA company, Bock nibs, apparently Indian-made parts/hardware).

A quick search both here and on FPN will show several members all making this same observation / recommendation. In addition to the above points, there are also several posts which have noted very poor post sale customer service.
In all fairness, there are some positive and supportive posts. But the supportive posts are far outnumbered by the negative posts.
As always, caveat emptor. Any prospective buyer should do his or her due diligence.

FredRydr
December 4th, 2022, 11:35 AM
For a modern Italian fountain pen, I suggest a used Aurora Optima from the last 15 years. Some colors were limited editions and command higher prices. Nib/ebonite feed units are easily swapped. They appear in the classifieds here from time to time.

amk
December 4th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Vintage Aurora 88 are spectacular pens. The only Italian pen that qualifies you for Black Pen Society entry :-)

(Except for modern Aurora 88s... )

Chrissy
December 4th, 2022, 02:22 PM
I have a couple of Aurora Optimas one of which is an LE and a couple of Omas pens. I'm not sure how old the Omas pens are but one is a Cinema. I find the Aurora nibs hard and unforgiving but apparently that's how they all write.

dneal
December 4th, 2022, 08:02 PM
Omas in plain black celluloid can be found for reasonable prices. Their "extra lucens" nibs are often present. Construction varies by era, as they move away from cork pistons to modern materials, and pinned knobs are changed in favor of sections that screw into the main barrel (and will leak without sealant...). The fancy celluloids command high prices, but as far as writers go the black pens are great. In the late 90's the nibs visibly change from Omas production to Bock. I've read that Bock produced their nibs before that, but I'm skeptical.

I like Aurora too. I bought my wife an LE 88 Nebulosa. I like it. I had an Optima, but didn't like the way it felt in hand and sold it. That's just a general preference for cigar over flat-tops, perhaps.

carlos.q
December 5th, 2022, 03:49 AM
If you are considering Omas take a look at the penboard.de site, where they have a large selection.

dneal
December 5th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Penboard got a lot of Omas, apparently. 347? Wow.

I usually go to tenpen.it

724Seney
December 5th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Penboard got a lot of Omas, apparently. 347? Wow.

I usually go to tenpen.it

I have purchased from them both and each is highly recommended.
Full disclosure: No connection or relation. Just, a very satisfied customer.

jdwhitak
December 6th, 2022, 04:38 PM
I’m looking for modern pens I can buy new. Thanks for the comments on ASC. I was just about to pull the trigger on one. May just stick to Japanese and German pens.

dneal
December 6th, 2022, 05:57 PM
In that case (new only), I would give Aurora a serious look before you give up.

Dougc
December 7th, 2022, 11:49 AM
I only have one ASC, and it's the cheapie, the Studio.
It's a very nice and the equal of most pens in the sub 200 dollar range.
I don't know if I just got lucky or they are just overlooked.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

jdwhitak
December 7th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Well, I decided to get a Nakaya. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on ASC. Saved me from making an expensive mistake, potentially.

724Seney
December 7th, 2022, 02:59 PM
Well, I decided to get a Nakaya. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on ASC. Saved me from making an expensive mistake, potentially.

In my opinion, this is an example of FPG at its best!
Congratulations, also in my opinion, you made a great decision. Nakayas are terrific pens.

ralfstc
December 13th, 2022, 05:56 AM
Nobody said Scribo! In my opinion the most artisan, local, and yet rock solid of all the current Italians.

Ralf

sirtoti
December 19th, 2022, 09:08 AM
Well, I think I'm one of the few who enjoy italian pens (and colors), and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that don't really need that much maintenance, compared to 30's+ Sheaffer's or even original P51's.

I own two Montegrappas, Aqua Mestalla, and Nero Uno. I'm very pleased with them.
I also own two Ancoras, one being a Toscana and the other one unknown. The nib is particularly great, as it has a weird touch I havent sensed in any otehr pen, almost "viscous".
I had two Stipulas, one being Etruria and the other a Model-T. Both with titanium nibs. I'm still looking for a chance to get a gold nibbed one.
I have many Deltas... Dolcevita Soirée, Dolcevita Federico, and Fusion 82 are the ones I enjoy more. Maybe the fusion nib is a scam, but I like it. The Dolcevita Soirée is specially good, with a nice and smooth nib with a very particular feedback.
Omas is probably my favourite italian brand. Sadly, there's no future for them as ASC has no way to be compared to the original. The modern Arco celluloid Ogiva I own is one of the best pens I've tried, being paired with a 360 that I found in hand as a real surprise (a really comfortable pen with a magnificient behaviour over the paper). The Ogiva Guilloché could perfectly fit in that Black Pen Society, along with the classic Paragon/Gentleman/557, and with the Montegrappa Nerouno plus the Dolcevita Soirée.
From Aurora, I had an Alpha (not really great), but have some Optimas (75th anniv, Mare, Primavera). Great for everyday use, but I do not like the Riserva Magica which is in truth more of a reminder of being out of ink than a reserve, and I still couldn't find a way for an easy cleaning when changing colours.
I own a Pineider Egosphere with a 18k nib that works great but has not much personallity.
Visconti probably is, along with Lalex, the brand I have owned less pens from. Only a Van Gogh Maxi, and 'm not really into metallic sections. This being said, the Rotring Visconti made is great, even though I've never used the "tintenkuli" point. Sooner or later I'll have to try the Homo Sapiens.
Marlen has good and bad pens, but their gold nibbed I have are good (specially a Forme Petite that I use as pocket pen).
My last italian pen is a Tibaldi Trasparente that is one of my favourites.

As someone recommended you, I would go for a NOS pen from 90's onwards over an "in poduction" one, the same way that, in my opinion, a modern Sheaffer's cannot be compared to the pre-90's ones.

I personally prefer italian over german pens, but it's true that I'm an F/EF pen user. Lamy and Pelikan are good, but MB, GvF-C, Diplomat, and Cleo Skribent all were unsatisfactory (and from Pelikan almost only the M600 size is good for me in "balance").

Dougc
February 4th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Nobody said Scribo! In my opinion the most artisan, local, and yet rock solid of all the current Italians.

RalfI'll second that. I have a Feel and love it.

Dougc
February 4th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Well, I think I'm one of the few who enjoy italian pens (and colors), and maybe I'm the only one who thinks that don't really need that much maintenance, compared to 30's+ Sheaffer's or even original P51's.

I own two Montegrappas, Aqua Mestalla, and Nero Uno. I'm very pleased with them.
I also own two Ancoras, one being a Toscana and the other one unknown. The nib is particularly great, as it has a weird touch I havent sensed in any otehr pen, almost "viscous".
I had two Stipulas, one being Etruria and the other a Model-T. Both with titanium nibs. I'm still looking for a chance to get a gold nibbed one.
I have many Deltas... Dolcevita Soirée, Dolcevita Federico, and Fusion 82 are the ones I enjoy more. Maybe the fusion nib is a scam, but I like it. The Dolcevita Soirée is specially good, with a nice and smooth nib with a very particular feedback.
Omas is probably my favourite italian brand. Sadly, there's no future for them as ASC has no way to be compared to the original. The modern Arco celluloid Ogiva I own is one of the best pens I've tried, being paired with a 360 that I found in hand as a real surprise (a really comfortable pen with a magnificient behaviour over the paper). The Ogiva Guilloché could perfectly fit in that Black Pen Society, along with the classic Paragon/Gentleman/557, and with the Montegrappa Nerouno plus the Dolcevita Soirée.
From Aurora, I had an Alpha (not really great), but have some Optimas (75th anniv, Mare, Primavera). Great for everyday use, but I do not like the Riserva Magica which is in truth more of a reminder of being out of ink than a reserve, and I still couldn't find a way for an easy cleaning when changing colours.
I own a Pineider Egosphere with a 18k nib that works great but has not much personallity.
Visconti probably is, along with Lalex, the brand I have owned less pens from. Only a Van Gogh Maxi, and 'm not really into metallic sections. This being said, the Rotring Visconti made is great, even though I've never used the "tintenkuli" point. Sooner or later I'll have to try the Homo Sapiens.
Marlen has good and bad pens, but their gold nibbed I have are good (specially a Forme Petite that I use as pocket pen).
My last italian pen is a Tibaldi Trasparente that is one of my favourites.

As someone recommended you, I would go for a NOS pen from 90's onwards over an "in poduction" one, the same way that, in my opinion, a modern Sheaffer's cannot be compared to the pre-90's ones.

I personally prefer italian over german pens, but it's true that I'm an F/EF pen user. Lamy and Pelikan are good, but MB, GvF-C, Diplomat, and Cleo Skribent all were unsatisfactory (and from Pelikan almost only the M600 size is good for me in "balance").And I also have to agree with your statements. I have more Italian pens than any others, with Japanese pens a distant second ( not saying I don't love my German, American, English, independent brands...)

ravkesef
March 7th, 2023, 07:32 PM
Nakaya is a wonderful pen, and you’ll have many hours of joy writing with it. If you ever feel in the mood for an Italian pen, the Visconti Homo Sapiens is a wonderful range of beautiful pens, and you’ll be very pleased with it. They are a bit pricey, but beauty does have its price. I pulled the trigger on a Santini Italia last year, and can say only good things about it.

jdwhitak
September 19th, 2023, 07:34 AM
Well, I might be back in the market for an Italian pen. I was recently able to check out a Visconti Homosapien and I liked the capping mechanism. Additional thought on Visconti such as quality, writing experience, and customer support.

I sold off all but one of my collection. I kept my Sailor Kirikane. Wanting to have 2-3 top notch pens.

FredRydr
September 19th, 2023, 02:29 PM
I haven't read through your thread again. There is an Aurora Optima (made in Turin) in the classifieds now, for about $100 less than often seen. https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/40192-Great-Pens-for-Sale!-Montegrappa-Visconti-Aurora-Santini-Italia-and-LeBoeuf

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2023, 02:47 PM
I haven't read through your thread again. There is an Aurora Optima (made in Turin) in the classifieds now, for about $100 less than often seen. https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/40192-Great-Pens-for-Sale!-Montegrappa-Visconti-Aurora-Santini-Italia-and-LeBoeuf

Agreed. I have that exact pen and the price is very reasonable.

FredRydr
September 19th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Me too. That one even has the earlier Greek key band, which I like better than the AURORA band that's on mine.

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2023, 05:52 PM

Me too. That one even has the earlier Greek key band, which I like better than the AURORA band that's on mine.

I think this is the pen. What we love about their (better) celluloid is also that which makes getting a decent pic... tricky! Here's mine, grabbed from the case and the afternoon sun.

https://i.imgur.com/7xoQJyth.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0m1qG64h.jpg

Chrissy
September 20th, 2023, 12:39 AM
I have an as new Aurora Optima LE 365 with a F nib that I'm going to sell. I'm considering taking it to Dromgoole's with me if I go th Houston next year.

Dougc
September 20th, 2023, 01:59 PM

I think this is the pen. What we love about their (better) celluloid is also that which makes getting a decent pic... tricky! Here's mine, grabbed from the case and the afternoon sun.

https://i.imgur.com/7xoQJyth.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0m1qG64h.jpg
I also have this same pen. Wonderful writer and well made.

vdiantonio
September 20th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Doesn't anyone here like Montegrappa? I have a few of them and I love them. They're really beautiful pens! I've never had a problem with my Extra in 23 years and the nib is just beautiful and writes well every time. MHO.

I also have an Aurora Optima - A beautiful pen, the nib is a little stiff though.

FredRydr
September 20th, 2023, 03:08 PM
Doesn't anyone here like Montegrappa? I have a few of them and I love them. They're really beautiful pens! I've never had a problem with my Extra in 23 years and the nib is just beautiful and writes well every time....
I don't think it's a question of not liking Montegrappa pens, but rather an opportunity to buy a quality Italian pen for a great price in the FPG classified. With a bit of searching, you can find a Montegrappa in the FPG classifieds: well-respected ArchiMark has a Montegrappa for sale (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/40453-7-Pen-Tray-Sale-Monteverde-Moonman-Scribo-Montegrappa-Karas-Visconti), as does gclv_pen$ (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/40569-GREAT-PENS-FOR-SALE!-VISCONTI-MONTEGRAPPA-KRONE-WATERMAN-and-PLATINUM).

calamus
September 24th, 2023, 11:47 PM

In my opinion, this is an example of FPG at its best!
Congratulations, also in my opinion, you made a great decision. Nakayas are terrific pens.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/PMV7yRpwGO5y9p3DBx/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e474z3d0yam0kcpr1fs0e13k27fhjw7 giauy54n35bk&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

jdwhitak
October 6th, 2023, 12:48 PM
I'm back looking at Italian pens. Seriously considering a Visconti Homo Sapiens or an Aurora Internazionale. Thoughts?

Wile E Coyote
October 6th, 2023, 01:12 PM
I'm back looking at Italian pens. Seriously considering a Visconti Homo Sapiens or an Aurora Internazionale. Thoughts?

https://media.tenor.com/odyVsZbC-OYAAAAC/why-not-both-why-not.gif

calamus
October 6th, 2023, 06:27 PM
I just bought my first Italian fountain pen. A Monteverde Aldo Domani.

https://www.penchalet.com/images/products/additional/13288_monteverde_aldo_domani_italia_fountain_pens. jpg

https://www.penchalet.com/images/products/enlarge/13288-ExoticBlue-zoom.jpg

Pen Chalet has them on sale for $29... Just nabbed a blue one with a stub nib. Lacquered solid brass. Couldn't help myself.

GiardinoItaliano
October 17th, 2023, 11:10 AM
Take a look at Delta. They recently reopened after a stop of 5 years - same people, same materials, new equipments - and are making really beatiful pens - completely made in Italy.
Moreover, they're also still finding NOS pieces, which they offer after a thorough overhaul, inspection and testing.

WaltZucher
November 7th, 2023, 06:36 PM
I bought a Maiora Alpha Oroarancio 14K (medium) gargoyle miniatures (https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product/2x-gargoyles/) for my retirement (direct from Italy at a discount) that I love. download poker android (https://swcpoker.club/download) It's a fat pen, and not perfect. But very Italian in its heritage and look.

Attractive but not well-crafted, high maintenance, yet beloved – much like all things Italian.

Dougc
November 8th, 2023, 08:08 AM
I bought a Maiora Alpha Oroarancio 14K (medium) for my retirement (direct from Italy at a discount) that I love. It's a fat pen, and not perfect. But very Italian in its heritage and look.

Attractive but not well-crafted, high maintenance, yet beloved – much like all things Italian.I had one Maiora and it was perfect, in both build quality and writing quality.

TSherbs
November 8th, 2023, 08:57 AM

Attractive but not well-crafted, high maintenance, yet beloved – much like all things Italian.I had one Maiora and it was perfect, in both build quality and writing quality.

Mine's not perfect, but it is awesome. Best pen I own (and most expensive). Always inked (for 20 straight months now).

jdwhitak
March 10th, 2024, 12:14 PM
Well, I got to try Aurora and Visconti at Atlas Stationers while in Chicago. I really liked the capping system on the Visconti. Really quick to deploy in business meetings. The Aurora was a tad too much on the feedback. If anyone wants to do some trading for a high-end Sailor check out my ad in the For Sale section.

Sandy
March 11th, 2024, 06:45 PM
I have a few Visconti pens. A Rembrant, 4 Van Goghs and an Opera (Versailles?).

The Van goghs are the more recent ones. The most recent one is the blossom pink one that came with a broad nib that is an excellent writer - it wrote perfectly out of the box.