PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Skrip Peacock blue?

dobemom
September 1st, 2013, 07:57 AM
OK. I understand this probably requires admission to being somewhat older than one would like to think. My mother used a snorkel and it was only filled with one color, that being Peacock. She never owned a different color of ink. It was beautiful...bright, clear, saturated and the color of the breast feathers on a peacock. In school when the teachers collected permission slips hers always stood out on the desk in the sea of blue and black ballpoint ink.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a currently produced ink close in color. I look at every color sample on line, which is of course futile. Someone told me Pelikan turquoise was close, but I have that and its not anywhere near.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for firing up your memory banks! :)

jar
September 1st, 2013, 07:59 AM
Boy to I remember that. Just find an old pen that once used it. Odds are you can fill it with water and write with Peacock Blue the rest of your life.

Laura N
September 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
People say Sheaffer Turquoise is close. I also have a pen pal who uses J. Herbin Blue Pevenche, which seems similar.

spotted and speckled
September 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
Sheaffer Turquoise and PR Daphne Blue.

ThriveToScribe
September 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
OK. I understand this probably requires admission to being somewhat older than one would like to think. My mother used a snorkel and it was only filled with one color, that being Peacock. She never owned a different color of ink. It was beautiful...bright, clear, saturated and the color of the breast feathers on a peacock. In school when the teachers collected permission slips hers always stood out on the desk in the sea of blue and black ballpoint ink.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered a currently produced ink close in color. I look at every color sample on line, which is of course futile. Someone told me Pelikan turquoise was close, but I have that and its not anywhere near.

Well, Dobemom, my memory banks for the past are much more accessible than the "brain RAM" for last week!
I actually still have a couple of cartridges of Peacock ink which I bought years ago. In fact, they're so old, they are only half-filled so their cartridges must evaporate despite being sealed.
I'll look into my many boxes to see if I have a bottle of it. I never throw anything away.:rolleyes:

P.S. I found a bottle of the original Sheaffer Peacock Ink---I can send you a sample if you'd like so you can compare it with other inks. I don't have the inks others mentioned, but maybe you can go to Goulet Pens or Inkcyclopedia right here on FPGeeks and compare colors even though computer screen resolutions vary.
Let me know if you want the sample, via a Private Message with your mailing address. :-)

Sailor Kenshin
September 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sheaffer Turquoise and PR Daphne Blue.

Not that close, I'd say. I have all three, the Peacock in carts, and it seems stronger, greener, more intense than even the Sheaffer Turq.

cedargirl
September 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
I love Skrip Peacock Blue. It was my favourite colour in the 1980s when I was messing around with some calligraphy in No Nonsense pens. I was disappointed that I couldn't get it when I returned to fountain pens more recently.

If the above mentioned tests do happen, please keep us all informed of the outcomes.

Ernst Bitterman
September 4th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Lamy Turquoise is also pretty close. I used a LOT of Skrip Peacock in my school years (which I regret now, considering the likely effect on the teachers), and in a recent fit of nostalgia tried the modern Skrip Turquoise-- not exactly right, but close enough for fun. I wonder if tipping a little Herbin Bleu Pervenche into a bottle of Diavolo Menthe might get the desired result....

jfsisler
September 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I'm so relieved that I"m not the only one who used that back in the 80's. Whew, I'm not old (and I just keep repeating that to myself;)

dobemom
September 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Of course you're not old. I'm remembering it from the FIFTIES!!! :blink:

dobemom
September 5th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks so much everyone. I'm going to do some more investigating now that I know of a few that might be close - and which probably aren't. I forsee a box from Goulet in my not so distant future...or should I say, another box from Goulet. :)

ThriveToScribe
September 5th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I'm so relieved that I"m not the only one who used that back in the 80's. Whew, I'm not old (and I just keep repeating that to myself;)

Dare I confess I was using it in high school, in the early sixties. :-)

dobemom
September 6th, 2013, 01:13 PM
I absolutely will. I'm glad to know there are folks who are interested in it too. I didn't think I'd get any replies!

Hennypenny
September 7th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I remember it from the fifties, too - it was the ink of choice for ladies' personal correspondence - all the mothers used it (back then the ink choices were blue, black, blue/black or red - which was NEVER used for correspondence!). I found an ink in Germany last year - Rubinato Turchese - which is the closest I've come (assuming my memory of Peacock is accurate). How about Waterman South Seas (I think it's Serenity now, or something like that)? May not be as close in color, but is in the same mood (i.e., a more light-hearted, less serious, ink). Skrip Peacock brings back happy memories! HP

Sailor Kenshin
September 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
IF i were trying to mix it, I might begin with Skrip Turquoise, then add a drop of green and a drop of black and go from there.

Michael McNeil
September 7th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I used to use Sheaffer's Skrip Peacock sometimes, back in the 80's. It's a great color! One thing I found out the hard way, is that if the ink gets on to the barrel threads of a pen it can stain them, especially on pens that have white pearl or cream colored plastic and more so on celluloid pens. I would recommend using the ink in black pens. There is a vintage bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue on eBay at the moment, that looks to be about 3/4 full.

I buy vintage Skrip ink in 16 and 32 ounce bottles, because I use so much of it testing pens, and I fill my smaller Skrip bottles from the larger ones. I mostly use Skrip Washable Blue, because it is easier to flush from pens than most other inks. I use Blue-Black Skrip in pens that I use to write out shipping labels.

Happy ink trails!

Michael

mhphoto
September 14th, 2013, 07:39 PM
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t595/fivecatpenagerie/67E7212B-1C57-47B0-9CE1-285128C2484E-31910-000004E552BC3545_zps6c94f3c6.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/fivecatpenagerie/media/67E7212B-1C57-47B0-9CE1-285128C2484E-31910-000004E552BC3545_zps6c94f3c6.jpg.html)

Mesu
September 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
How about Iroshizuku ku-jaku?

ac12
October 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I used peacock blue in grade school in the 60s.
But for some reason I switched to black in high school.
I only recently thought about it and got a bottle of Sheaffer turquoise. I don't know how close it is to peacock blue, but it is good enough to bring back memories. It is a very nice color, but I think it needs a Medium tip or wider to lay down enough ink. The color washes out on the page with a Fine tip, as does any light color ink.

Sleepyside
October 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Mix equal parts of Navaho Turquoise and South Seas Blue (think that is now Serenity Blue)

Pommel
October 18th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Of course I remember all those Skrip colors! (lavender as well). It was a shame when the American Skrip inks were discontinued.

My main turquoise ink is Lamy nowadays. The new Sheaffer Slovenian inks and bottles just don't feel the same as the originals I always used.

I surely regret that I don't have any old formula Skrip blue-black anymore.

Senecabud
October 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Dare I confess I was using it in high school, in the early sixties. :-)[/QUOTE]

Ditto to that! I used it in two Shaeffer Targa's with Fine nibs. Currently I use Lamy Turquoise.

Laura N
October 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I just got a nice big bottle of this.

I can only applaud mhphoto's photo. Compared to a few modern turquoise inks, Skrip Peacock Blue seems less saturated and lighter. It really has great shading. I think Virginia got it: it is very close in color to Private Reserve Daphne Blue, though Daphne Blue seems softer and doesn't have the shading.

I'll try to get some samples of other modern turquoise inks and put together a comparison when they arrive.

snedwos
October 29th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Serenity Blue is the old Florida Blue. The new name for south seas blue is Inspired Blue.

ac12
October 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Grrrr
Those Waterman marketing guys are just as bad as other marketing types.
Changing the name of the product and confusing the customers.

Goldfish
October 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Grrrr
Those Waterman marketing guys are just as bad as other marketing types.
Changing the name of the product and confusing the customers.

I can't believe they renamed Havana "Absolute Brown" - it means absolutely nothing:angry:

Sailor Kenshin
October 31st, 2013, 05:27 AM
Yeah...glad I have older bottles, because a name-change to Meaningless can put me off an ink.

Pommel
November 2nd, 2013, 01:29 AM
Breaking with tradition without a good cause is a very bad decision imo :(

david i
November 2nd, 2013, 04:48 AM
I happen to have quite a few vintage 1950's Sheaffer Skrip Peacock, with Snorkel on box, yellow/blue box, built in inkwell, from an ink hoard I bought awhile back. I hope for the massive Vacumania December Update, I'll manage to list it.

regards

david

Titivillus
November 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
yep never bought a bottle but always got a few cartridges in multipacks.

ac12
November 6th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I have Sheaffer turquoise inked up in 2 different pens (Parker 45 with Medium nib, Esterbrook SJ with Medium nib).
From these two pens, I get two very different colors.
- The P45 puts down a nice even (no shading) turquoise ink line.
- The Esterbrook, puts down a darker teal looking ink line that has shading.
If I had not known I had Sheaffer turquoise in both pens, I would not have said that it was 2 different inks.

Julie Hagan Bloch
November 24th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I remember Skrip Peacock Blue; I used it a LOT! Something else I miss, is being able to get the No Nonsense pens with regular, non-italic nibs. Those are the smoothest writing pens I have!

ThriveToScribe
November 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I remember Skrip Peacock Blue; I used it a LOT! Something else I miss, is being able to get the No Nonsense pens with regular, non-italic nibs. Those are the smoothest writing pens I have!

Julie, even though Amazon has this pen for sale, I found it on eBay from the 1970s and it's probably better made than the new plastic ones. Plus the shipping is cheaper than Amazon. If you want to try it, here's the link:

Red Sheaffer No Nonsense Fountain Pen B Italic NIB 4 Cartridges 1970s | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Sheaffer-No-Nonsense-Fountain-Pen-B-Italic-Nib-4-cartridges-1970s-/261328734551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd8680957)

whych
December 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM

I got a small old stock bottle of this off ebay recently.
If you pm me your address, I will send you some written sample of it which may be an easier way of finding a match.

Sailor Kenshin
December 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Keep looking on fleabay AND garage sales where the old style calligraphy sets come up frequently.

The sections are interchangeable so you can also search the bay for sections only. I have F, M, and possibly even XF in the refular, ball-tipped nibs.

Senecabud
December 24th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Once that was my favorite (and nearly exclusive) ink choice. Loved it! These days I use Lamy Turquoise.

85AKbN
December 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
anyone have a pic of a bottle?

eta: nm, google images... duh

Scrawler
December 25th, 2013, 11:01 AM
My favourite ink from my school days. I am fortunate to still have a bottle of it, which I use sparingly now, and not for essays, but for letters to my family.

79spitfire
December 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have some cartridges of this (and Arabian Rose!) stashed away. Problem is I'll have to re-hydrate them....

Scrawler
December 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
I have some cartridges of this (and Arabian Rose!) stashed away. Problem is I'll have to re-hydrate them....

Store cartridges in a sealed plastic container with a drop of distilled water in to make it humid inside. As long as you do not open it, there comes a point when the humidity is in balance and the cartridges stop drying out.

mrcharlie
April 6th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I just got an old Snorkel era 2 oz bottle, more than half full, for a pittance on eBay. My dad claimed it was his favorite ink, and I've read that it was often a favorite of left handers (as my did is) because it was the quickest drying of the old Skrip inks.

I'm pretty geeked that I can use it to write to my dad now; I hadn't looked for it in about two years, and it was sort of random that I searched for it.

And after I won that auction, someone listed a full 4 oz bottle that I no longer need. Auction ends Apr 10, 2014 09:30:30 PDT, no bids so far, I'm not the seller nor do I know the seller, and it has a somewhat steep Buy It Now price that will disappear as soon as someone makes a bid ... unless someone buys it at that price in which case the auction will end.

Mags
April 6th, 2014, 05:50 AM
I remember using it though in a school pen that took cartridges. I still managed a bit of blue on my hands being left handed but it was a soft blue more of a faded denim look ink as I remember it

bruce
March 6th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Boy do I remember that ink. I was allowed to use my mothers pen, also filled with this liquid magic, only to write formal replies on our stack of Crown Mill paper. I'm still inspired by that pleasure today. Have been searching for a while now as well and in the interim using Lamy Turqouise and must admit it's not a bad comparison. In fact it too has been a pleasure.

Can't speak for the others as I don't think I could face the disappointment of an entire bottle of not quite right. If any thing better turns up I'll pass it on. (can't gaurantee the color didn't shift from the 50's to early 60's tho)

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I've got two bottles of it. It's a great color. It's a long story, but the short version.... old sheaffer factory has tons of peacock blue bottles. The factory owner sells them occasionally on ebay.

Scrawler
March 6th, 2015, 07:37 PM
I've got two bottles of it. It's a great color. It's a long story, but the short version.... old sheaffer factory has tons of peacock blue bottles. The factory owner sells them occasionally on ebay.

Two bottles? You are spoiled. I have half a bottle left and have been experimenting with turquoises for when I run out. Peacock allows me to claim I am actually using blue, in the same way as Vourhout Violet enables me to claim I an using black. I had better not run out and buy more ink though, because I will not live long enough to use up what I have.

Crazyorange
March 6th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Lol. If you want my peacock blue dealer, I can connect you.

caribbean_skye
March 6th, 2015, 10:25 PM

ooh pretty please

Chrissy
March 7th, 2015, 05:48 AM
I have one that I could bear to part with.....

snedwos
March 7th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Writing with it right now. Got it on ebay when the Fort Madison factory flogged off a bunch.

Crazyorange
March 7th, 2015, 08:52 AM

ooh pretty please

Just pm me if you need a "fix"

Crazyorange
March 7th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Ok...just emailed the dealer. He's not selling ink right now to avoid it freezing. He's still got peacock blue available. I asked him to keep me posted and update me when it is available.

Scrawler
March 7th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I have an an unused 1930s Waterman 32 in its box. If no one comes forth with an obscene or otherwise tantalizing offer for it, I shall fill it with Peacock Blue, and doodle with it.

snedwos
March 7th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Filling a Waterman with the ink of a big rival? It'll come out in hives!

Scrawler
March 7th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Filling a Waterman with the ink of a big rival? It'll come out in hives!

Hence the value of my "threat".

Xina
March 13th, 2015, 11:29 PM
My ink in the 50s and 60s (grade school & high school) was the fabled Skrip Peacock. I, too, have searched inks for a simlar color. The one I like the most is Diamine Steel Blue. Here's the picture from Goulet Pens:

http://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/6639-8588/cms/8588/files/a3a912ba-8059-45b7-b0d4-6a74fabcd6c9

mrcharlie
March 14th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Sheaffer Turquoise is a near exact match for the old Sheaffer's Skrip Peacock Blue in both color and the way they flow in pens; I've had both inked at the same time. I would buy the old stuff as long as I could get it in a price competitive way, but just because I like using old stuff. If I ever use up the half bottle I have I'd likely just buy some current production Sheaffer Turquoise.

ac12
March 14th, 2015, 09:53 PM
mrcharlie

Thanks much for the comparision.
It validates what I read in another post, that got me to try the turquoise.
Now I'm happy.

Although I did buy a couple bottles of peacock blue from the guy that crazyorange is probably referring to.

I just wish he also had emerald green.

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Let's take a head count. How many people who want a bottle of PB? Then I can ask my guy if he can fulfill it? Indicate if your interested and how many bottle.

tandaina
March 15th, 2015, 11:25 AM
One bottle

Laura N
March 15th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I have a bottle I may sell to fund MI. Very little used.

Crazyorange, what's he selling at, your friend?

Jon Szanto
March 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM
You know, it's funny: at first I thought I'd buy a bottle if one came available, but now that I think of it... That's a pretty color, but not one I would really use. I best sit this one out.

caribbean_skye
March 15th, 2015, 01:37 PM
one bottle pls

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Can your dealer connect me with some of that lovely Sheaffer Lavender that I got to sample at the pen show??? :D
Because if they can, I'm in.....

Chrissy
March 15th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I would definitely swap my Peacock Blue for Lavender. I don't even know what the Lavender is like, but I would still do it. I love purply inks

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I would definitely swap my Peacock Blue for Lavender. I don't even know what the Lavender is like, but I would still do it. I love purply inks

I'm not a "purple person", per se, but the Sheaffer Lavender really is something. =)

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 06:53 PM

He's selling it at $12 plus shipping.

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I'll email him tomorrow....see if lavender is available. I would love a bottle too. I'll find out the scoop and post.

Laura N
March 15th, 2015, 07:03 PM

He's selling it at $12 plus shipping.

Wow, that's a fantastic price. Is that for the 4 ounce bottle with the Skrip-Well? I like the bottle so much, with its weird but useful filling area, that I'd keep the bottle for that price, honestly. People should go for that.

klpeabody
March 15th, 2015, 07:05 PM
I'll email him tomorrow....see if lavender is available. I would love a bottle too. I'll find out the scoop and post.

Thank you!

Crazyorange
March 15th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Yup that's the bottle. I'm wonder if we can do some sort of group buy with him. I'll find out more.

caribbean_skye
March 15th, 2015, 09:20 PM
ooh i'd be down for peacock and lavender (depending on the price of the lavender)

tandaina
March 15th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Goodness I'd also take a lavender if he has it!

Crazyorange
March 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Ok inky update.
Lots of peacock blue. Only small bottles of lavender (as in picture). Also lots of gray. No rose ink.

He's still not shipping but will keep me posted on that.

So people who want to add their name to the list...keep posting here. You'll be in peacock blue before you know it.

tandaina
March 16th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Squeeeee! :) I have one of those little bitty bottles of a lovely old gold. But the lid is stuck fast. We cannot get it open. :( It sits on the shelf and taunts me.

Laura N
March 16th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Okay, mine's different. Larger, maybe older? I don't know. But I like the color scheme: University of California and University of Michigan colors. :cheer2:

Crazyorange
March 16th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Squeeeee! :) I have one of those little bitty bottles of a lovely old gold. But the lid is stuck fast. We cannot get it open. :( It sits on the shelf and taunts me.

I love the little bottle...it's so cute :)

Wrap the lip with that rubber mat stuff and use pliers to unscrew. The top will unscrew. Had the same problem with mine and this did the trick.

Crazyorange
March 16th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Okay, mine's different. Larger, maybe older? I don't know. But I like the color scheme: University of California and University of Michigan colors. :cheer2:

I'm guessing my bottle dates to the plant closing? It does have the glass lip inside the bottle. Yours 50/60's? Makes me wonder if it's the same color?

sgtstretch
March 16th, 2015, 09:01 PM
I'd be in for a bottle of Peacock Blue.

Jon Szanto
March 16th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Okay, mine's different. Larger, maybe older? I don't know. But I like the color scheme: University of California and University of Michigan colors.

I'm guessing my bottle dates to the plant closing? It does have the glass lip inside the bottle. Yours 50/60's? Makes me wonder if it's the same color?

Laura does have an older bottle, though not the earliest packaging using the "Top Well" bottle (as evidenced by the design of the box); CO's bottle is apparently from the last run/design of the same bottle, just before the end of the plant closing (from what I understand).

Here is a quick pic of two bottles, one that pre-dates Laura's, and a later bottle that is in-between her's and CO's bottle. Somewhere I have one or two of my others that are earlier still, and have the advert for the Snorkel pens, which featured the use of the "Top Well". They also came in the 2 oz bottles, which is what we are showing (save for that lone little bottle), as well as larger, 4 oz sizes.

There is a pretty good thread over there that has a fair amount of info and eye candy if you want to look over the history of the Sheaffer "Well" bottle: Good thread on Skrip bottles (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/228053-when-was-a-2-oz-bottle-skrip-cost-29-cents/)

Sailor Kenshin
March 17th, 2015, 05:53 AM
I still have a couple Peacock carts, but would be interested in a bottle!

Neo
March 17th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I'll take a blue if it's available

mrcharlie
March 17th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Wow, that's a fantastic price. Is that for the 4 ounce bottle with the Skrip-Well? I like the bottle so much, with its weird but useful filling area, that I'd keep the bottle for that price, honestly. People should go for that.

Yup that's the bottle. I'm wonder if we can do some sort of group buy with him. I'll find out more.

It is the 2 oz bottle, to be clear.

Despite what I wrote earlier, if you do a mass buy I'd go for it as I don't have any Sheaffer ink bottles from that era and I can probably spare the $12 plus.

I know this seller did sell some Emerald Green on eBay last year, I think they were the 2 oz size and not the mini bottles.

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2015, 09:09 AM

It is the 2 oz bottle, to be clear.

Despite what I wrote earlier, if you do a mass buy I'd go for it as I don't have any Sheaffer ink bottles from that era and I can probably spare the $12 plus.

I know this seller did sell some Emerald Green on eBay last year, I think they were the 2 oz size and not the mini bottles.

Yes, it's the big 2 oz bottle. No other colors. Except lavender in the tiny jar. There's also gray - don't know the size on the gray.

Laura N
March 17th, 2015, 09:56 AM

Laura does have an older bottle, though not the earliest packaging using the "Top Well" bottle (as evidenced by the design of the box); CO's bottle is apparently from the last run/design of the same bottle, just before the end of the plant closing (from what I understand).

Here is a quick pic of two bottles, one that pre-dates Laura's, and a later bottle that is in-between her's and CO's bottle. Somewhere I have one or two of my others that are earlier still, and have the advert for the Snorkel pens, which featured the use of the "Top Well". They also came in the 2 oz bottles, which is what we are showing (save for that lone little bottle), as well as larger, 4 oz sizes.

There is a pretty good thread over there that has a fair amount of info and eye candy if you want to look over the history of the Sheaffer "Well" bottle: Good thread on Skrip bottles (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/228053-when-was-a-2-oz-bottle-skrip-cost-29-cents/)

Thanks, Jon: I looked at that thread. My box, unfortunately, differs from any in the photos therein. My box does mention RC-35, so according to one post it predates 1967. Even better, my box, on the inner flap, advertises the Snorkel, "see it today at your Sheaffer dealer!" According to PenHero, the Snorkel was manufactured between 1952 and 1959.

My box looks great -- almost factory fresh, and the bottle does have the ink well. So now, after learning all this, it's going to be hard to let go after all, and I guess I should keep it. It's like pen history. :)

Also, possibly because it was still factory sealed when I got it, the ink writes perfectly and didn't need extra water or anything.

macmuse
March 17th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Are either the peacock blue or lavender still an available thing? I'd be up for either or both.

Cob
March 17th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I believe I purchased a bottle of this ink around 1961; I received a bollocking for using it for my school essays.

Cob

Laura N
March 17th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I believe I purchased a bottle of this ink around 1961; I received a bollocking for using it for my school essays.

Cob

No wonder you don't like bright inks. :)

Cob
March 17th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Well I hadn't thought of it that way but must agree that it is a possibility!

Cob

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Are either the peacock blue or lavender still an available thing? I'd be up for either or both.

They are both available. Just remember the lavender comes in the tiny jar.

tandaina
March 17th, 2015, 05:24 PM

*bounce* Hurry up and thaw out rest of the US, I want discontinued INK!

macmuse
March 17th, 2015, 05:38 PM

Great. And I did see the photo. No idea what I have to do from here (PM or something else, I should read back). I didn't think I'd see this color again for a reasonable price. I may have a lone cartridge left that isn't dried up. :)

Lexaf
March 17th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Try P.W. Akkerman 'Trêves-Turquoise'.

A bit difficult to photograph late in the evening with Led Light, but believe me, it comes very near the Good Old Peacock!

Akkerman is from The Hague in The Netherlands. Look at their site here: http://www.vulpennen.nl/nl/merken/inkt--and--vullingen/p-1-1/AkkInkt000--akkerman-fountain-pen-ink-60-ml-.html
Not affiliated in any way, but I happen to live very nearby and I am a happy customer!
The site is in Dutch, but you'll get the message.
I think that they will ship overseas, inform by e-mail and Paul Rutte will be happy to let you know what the possibilities and the shipping costs will be. Shipping will not be cheap, but its a large and beautiful bottle. The original bottle was designed by Mr. Andries Copier, the famous Dutch designer and glass artist for the once also famous 'Gimborn' Ink factory in 1936.
Here some pictures:

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4613_zpshnx2fv2a.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/Lex_van_Galen/media/DSCF4613_zpshnx2fv2a.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4614_zpsgsdegbla.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/Lex_van_Galen/media/DSCF4614_zpsgsdegbla.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/DSCF4615_zpsd2ou6dvj.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/Lex_van_Galen/media/DSCF4615_zpsd2ou6dvj.jpg.html)

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj504/Lex_van_Galen/Akkerman%20ink_zpsnyje8cbv.jpg (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/Lex_van_Galen/media/Akkerman%20ink_zpsnyje8cbv.jpg.html)

Enjoy!

tandaina
March 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM
It is close. But the last time I looked at importing their ink it would be so expensive to do so that buying the few remaining bottles of Peacock would be cheaper (for me here in the US.)

Neo
March 17th, 2015, 07:05 PM
It is close. But the last time I looked at importing their ink it would be so expensive to do so that buying the few remaining bottles of Peacock would be cheaper (for me here in the US.)

Give Vaness pens in Arkansas a call, free shipping if you order 3 bottles.

Crazyorange
March 17th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I'm going to make a list of interested people and get an ink count. Let's hope for more warm weather!

macmuse
April 3rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Any update. Weather is getting a bit warmer here. :)

Crazyorange
April 4th, 2015, 05:30 AM
I'll connect with him on Tuesday and see what's going on.

Chrissy
April 4th, 2015, 06:02 AM
If anyone in the UK wants a 60ml bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue, I would sell mine.

Cob
April 4th, 2015, 01:15 PM
If anyone in the UK wants a 60ml bottle of Skrip Peacock Blue, I would sell mine.

PM me Chrissy

Cob

Uncle Bud
April 4th, 2015, 01:31 PM

Hi Chrissy, if Cob hasn't beat me to it, I'd be interested too. Cheers Bud

Chrissy
April 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM

PM me Chrissy

Cob

PM sent Cob

Crazyorange
April 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Hello Everyone,
I'm emailing my contact today. I would think we could ship now. This is my head count. If anyone is missing or wants to be added to the group, just post to the thread.

Tandaina 1 peacock 1 lavender
caribbeanskye 1 peacock 1 lavender
sgtstretch 1 peacock
sailor kenshin 1 peacock
neo 1 peacock
mrcharlie 1 peacock
macmuse 1 peacock and 1 lavender
stevee 1 peacock
crazyorange 1 lavender
Dgator 1 peacock
Klpeabody 1 lavender
Xina 1 lavender 1 peacock blue
Chrissy 1 lavender
Uncle bud 1 lavender

tandaina
April 13th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Crazy could we add a lavender for me? Might as well snag it while I have the chance.

dgator
April 13th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Hi Crazy, can you please add 1 bottle of Peacock for me? Thank you.

caribbean_skye
April 13th, 2015, 05:01 PM
add a lavender for me as well pls. thanks

klpeabody
April 13th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I would like a lavender also.
Thank you!

Xina
April 15th, 2015, 11:08 PM
Please put me down for 1 peacock and 1 lavender. Thank you so much for organizing this ink buy!!!

Crazyorange
April 16th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Just an update...I emailed my contact. I haven't heard back from him, which unusual. I'll be emailing him again on Monday.

Chrissy
April 16th, 2015, 06:19 AM
Please could I have one Lavender too if it's not too late?

Uncle Bud
April 17th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Hi, could I have one lavender too please, if I'm not to late. Cheers Bud

Jon Szanto
April 25th, 2015, 01:16 AM
For those of you awaiting your Peacock Blue... I've been playing with mine for the last couple of days, and while I really like it as a 'fun' hue, I am not certain I'd send an entire letter with it. Seems a bit too bright for easy reading, and a little transparent (YMMV). So as an experiment, I went to darken it, and eventually found a nice mix. It is straight-forward and could probably be done with any fairly dark blue. To show the change, I've placed it as #3, and you can see how it pairs up nicely with two of my favorite Iroshizuku inks. #4 is the Peacock with no adulteration.

So, a simple 10:1 ratio of 10 parts Peacock to 1 part Aurora Blue. Enjoy (and, damn, I couldn't get this image from the scan to really look like the page; it should have a little more greenish cast, overall, but every time I tried to compensate it... wasn't right. Just take this as a comparative study)

Crazyorange
April 25th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Thanks for posting. Great ideas.

So folks, I got an update from my connection. Currently his job has him super busy, I don't know when we will get the ink. We might be getting a nice buzz off or maybe he will come through. I don't know. Sorry about that. :(
If I hear more I'll post.

caribbean_skye
April 25th, 2015, 04:21 AM

So folks, I got an update from my connection. Currently his job has him super busy, I don't know when we will get the ink. We might be getting a nice buzz off or maybe he will come through. I don't know. Sorry about that. :(

Thanks CO. You are up awfully early (or rather late)

Crazyorange
April 25th, 2015, 08:06 AM

One of those nights....you wake at 3am and your mind is running a thousands miles a minute. So I figure...what the heck...read fountain pen stuff.

Uncle Bud
April 25th, 2015, 04:51 PM
For those of you awaiting your Peacock Blue... I've been playing with mine for the last couple of days, and while I really like it as a 'fun' hue, I am not certain I'd send an entire letter with it. Seems a bit too bright for easy reading, and a little transparent (YMMV). So as an experiment, I went to darken it, and eventually found a nice mix. It is straight-forward and could probably be done with any fairly dark blue. To show the change, I've placed it as #3, and you can see how it pairs up nicely with two of my favorite Iroshizuku inks. #4 is the Peacock with no adulteration.

So, a simple 10:1 ratio of 10 parts Peacock to 1 part Aurora Blue. Enjoy (and, damn, I couldn't get this image from the scan to really look like the page; it should have a little more greenish cast, overall, but every time I tried to compensate it... wasn't right. Just take this as a comparative study)

Ku-Jaku is one of my all time favorite inks for all purposes.

caribbean_skye
April 25th, 2015, 06:15 PM

One of those nights....you wake at 3am and your mind is running a thousands miles a minute. So I figure...what the heck...read fountain pen stuff.

Aye, I understand that. When being anxious comes to hang out with insomnia I not only am awake at 3am but cant just drift back off

tandaina
April 25th, 2015, 06:23 PM

Since we have all been waiting since, well it got discontinued I think we can wait for his life to be a little less busy. :)

Crazyorange
April 25th, 2015, 07:18 PM

Since we have all been waiting since, well it got discontinued I think we can wait for his life to be a little less busy. :)

[emoji4]

Crazyorange
April 25th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Aye, I understand that. When being anxious comes to hang out with insomnia I not only am awake at 3am but cant just drift back off

It's the pits. I had a stressful day at work.....the next I know....wide wake at 3. Brain running a muck. Thank goodness for fpg. It gave me something to poke around on. The worse part at 3am there's nothing to do. TV is crap. Too early to get up. Internet shopping is a danger zone. Fpg killed about 30 minutes for me.

SteveE
May 1st, 2015, 10:18 AM
I hear you, C-O. Been there. My favorite solution was to chomp a cookie and read a book for a while and see if I could get my mind to release whatever it was stuck on by distracting it with the book.

As for the ink, I'm fine waiting. I've asked for a bottle actually to gift to another FP user here at work. She used Peacock Blue extensively many years ago and would really appreciate some.

macmuse
May 21st, 2015, 06:03 AM
I'm still in and don't mind the wait either. I just have to remember to check back for status. Work is so hectic right now it's consuming most waking moments. (That and my 7th grader who is done with school this week)

ac12
May 21st, 2015, 11:41 PM
As for the ink, I'm fine waiting. I've asked for a bottle actually to gift to another FP user here at work. She used Peacock Blue extensively many years ago and would really appreciate some.

Steve
Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise is pretty close to Peacock Blue, at least to my fading brain cells anyway. And it is a current production ink.

SteveE
May 22nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
ac12 - We (myself and my colleague) saw that, but it "isn't the same" as the old. There is enough difference to make someone nostalgic for that old color. She has found some (at the Chicago Pen Show a couple of weeks ago) but if we find more, she is still likely interested.

Uncle Bud
May 22nd, 2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, don't think any of us mind waiting, and, I know what a busy work life is like these days. Thanks for the update Crazyorange.

ac12
May 22nd, 2015, 11:21 PM
Steve
Go onto eBay and set the search engine to look for Sheaffer Peacock Blue ink. Sometimes you get garbage, but other times you may get a good hit.
I did then when I was looking for Sheaffer Emerald Green ink. It took a while, but I finally got a couple bottles at a reasonable price, and I was happy.

ac12
June 6th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I found some for you guys, but someone has to front for the 12 bottles, then break the pack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-Skip-ink-2-fl-oz-Factory-Sealed-Case-of-12-Peacock-Blue/141679766001?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D31238%26meid%3D1334cb772d1144c7ba75e9493241 53cb%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1315 29298077&rt=nc

mrcharlie
June 6th, 2015, 11:29 PM
250 USD per 12 bottles is slightly pricey.

ac12
June 7th, 2015, 10:52 PM
250 USD per 12 bottles is slightly pricey.

The question is, is Peacock blue worth $20.83 per bottle, considering that they do not make it anymore.
I've seen adds for more than that for the Emerald Green.

Tseg
July 5th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Here in single bottles (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHEAFFER-SKRIP-INK-Glass-Bottle-Inkwell-2-fl-oz-Peacock-Blue/112893234920?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649). I just placed an order.

Chrissy
July 5th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Here in single bottles (https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHEAFFER-SKRIP-INK-Glass-Bottle-Inkwell-2-fl-oz-Peacock-Blue/112893234920?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649). I just placed an order.
They are very nice bottles with that cap too. :) However, please note that this seller sends his inks in a tube so he takes the bottle out of the box then packs the flattened box and bottle in the tube. The box isn't flat when you try to reconstruct it. :(

jmccarty3
July 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Mix equal parts of Navaho Turquoise and South Seas Blue (think that is now Serenity Blue)

The old South Seas Blue is now called Inspired Blue.

KKay
July 10th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I have the mix of Navajo Turquoise and Inspired Blue as well. It is close enough for me, and cheap. 1/2 of each color. It is well behaved, and very pretty. Funny, I just inked up a pen with that faux Peacock Blue yesterday. Today I refilled it, and am still using it. Then I come across this thread this evening. I also like Diamine-Havasu Turquoise, J. Herbin-Bleu Pervenche, and Diamine-Steel Blue. The Steel Blue is more of a greenish turquoise though. Another good one is Edelstein-Topaz, but I don't own that one. All of those I mentioned are fantastic turquoise colors.