PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic damage to 146/149 from posting.

Doggy Daddy
December 28th, 2022, 05:58 PM
I would like to hear from anyone with experience (or opinions) regarding posting the cap on Montblanc 146 and 149 pens. I am a relatively new user of these pens and, while they feel more balanced in my hand when posted, I do not wish to cause cosmetic damage either.

Any thoughts from experienced users would be welcome.

Thanks.

Chrissy
December 28th, 2022, 11:29 PM
I don't post my caps on most of my pens because I'm aware it can cause cosmetic damage. Definitely not any of my Montblanc pens - apart from the Bohème.

If you imagine a resin (plastic) cap with internal cut screw threads being repeatedly pushed along the smooth surface of the barrel then pulled back off again to a varying degree how can absolutely no damage ever be caused? The places where the cap sits on the barrel as well as any places where the pieces are rubbed together might be damaged and if you post your pens then you need to accept that. They are your pens and you treat them how you want.

Be aware that if you damage/break a cap or barrel now and you need a repair/replacement you have to use My Jewelry Repair to get it replaced by Montblanc and from what we have heard on here they aren't as good as Texas Repair Center used to be.

I have a Sheaffer Targa Medici Diamond that I bought used from ebay. The last portion of that barrel always becomes darker and needs cleaning more often than the rest of the pen. I can only assume that previous cap posting must have caused this to happen. :(

Gulfcoast
December 29th, 2022, 08:27 AM
I don't post my caps for the same reason. My Mom's old Parker looked like the end of the barrel had been sandblasted from being posted by sort of twisting it on/twisting it off. I do not want my pens to look like that.......:)

FredRydr
December 29th, 2022, 10:11 AM
And then there're people like me who post if more length is wanted for more comfortable writing. For example, a 149 and a Connoisseur are long enough without their caps, but not the Parker 51 or Sheaffer Triumph

Posting marks? That's what polish is for.

Gulfcoast
December 29th, 2022, 11:58 AM
This is also why I like longer pens, too! :)

bunnspecial
December 29th, 2022, 12:25 PM
I don't routinely post my pens, but I have also bought 146s and 149s from people who I knew to be habitual posters.

MB resin is reasonably hard and scratch resistant, and I don't see unusual barrel microscratching(apart from what normally appears from use/carry) on resin pens that I know to have been posted regularly.

Celluloid is a different story, which is especially unfortunate as I find the celluloid 146 uncomfortably short unposted(the resin one is somewhat longer).

Jon Szanto
December 29th, 2022, 12:43 PM
I'm with Fred. I certainly take reasonable care, but if I really want to use a pen for writing and not just a fetish object, the bottom line is that some are too short or too light to write comfortably UNLESS posted. When this is the case, I make certain the pen bodies are clean and free of dust and dirt, so additional elements don't add up to a 'scratching compound' on the surface as you (carefully) place the cap on. I don't jam it on and keep an eye on pens to see if any marks are evident. I believe with care and occasional cleaning/buffing with soft cloth, a pen can be posted with no visible damage.

dneal
December 29th, 2022, 01:57 PM
You posting folks are doing it wrong. Caps go in your mouth so you don't lose them, and it gives you something to chew on while you write. It's why they invented the bic/biro.

None of my pens have scratches from posting, for this reason.

;)

Jon Szanto
December 29th, 2022, 02:24 PM
You posting folks are doing it wrong. Caps go in your mouth so you don't lose them, and it gives you something to chew on while you write. It's why they invented the bic/biro.

;)

Your wife tells me that those are the moments she enjoys your company the most. Not to mention the peace and quiet. :cool:

dneal
December 29th, 2022, 03:03 PM
The drummer's got jokes about spouses wanting household peace and quiet? ;)

Jon Szanto
December 29th, 2022, 03:41 PM
The drummer's got jokes about spouses wanting household peace and quiet? ;)

You'll have to type louder, my hearing aids are in the charger.

dneal
December 29th, 2022, 03:46 PM
Just realized I went for the jokes before I answered the OP.

I realize the pens you're referring to are expensive, and ideally you would like to keep them pristine. Fresh out the box shiny and new is indeed a wonderful thing.

The hard truth is that the only way to do that is to not use them. By not posting, you're preventing a certain type of scratch; but that's about it.

If you like the way it feels in hand posted, and you like writing with them; think of the inevitable marks as a wonderful patina of sorts.

It's just a pen.

Barry B. Gabay
December 30th, 2022, 09:42 PM
Most of the time I post 149s when writing. If I'm writing with the paper or journal in my lap, I clip the cap to my shirt. Over time, there is evidence of posting on the barrel end, some inconsequential barrel wear. After many years, a 149 or 146 cap may develop minor cap lip cracks from posting. My oldest 149, at the moment, is about 60-65 years old. It has 6 or 7 tiny cap lip crack. That's about one crack a decade. Not a bad track record. These pens were meant to be used and enjoyed. Write with them. If it's comfortable to post, then post. If it ain't, keep the cap in your hand, clip it to your shirt, or try the innovative, mr. dneal's interesting method. But don't cough or laugh.

Motomachi10
December 31st, 2022, 04:59 AM
I like to post my pens when I am using them. I do it because it is more comfortable for me and the pens are objects that have a purpose: to write. But my 146 and 149 after some years don't show marks from posting.

dr_kevy
January 2nd, 2023, 12:11 PM
Don’t post. It’s not designed to. It will leave subtle marks on the barrel. You’re supposed to hold the cap in your non writing hand or lay it down.

Posting isn’t secure so also expect it fly off. And crack if it falls on the wrong surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
January 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM
Don’t post. It’s not designed to. It will leave subtle marks on the barrel. You’re supposed to hold the cap in your non writing hand or lay it down.

Posting isn’t secure so also expect it fly off. And crack if it falls on the wrong surface.

Yes, that is one approach.

kazoolaw
January 10th, 2023, 05:58 AM
Caps go in your mouth so you don't lose them, and it gives you something to chew on while you write.
;)

I gather, then, that one removes one's dentures before commencing to chew.

dr_kevy
May 13th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Deleted

Chrissy
May 14th, 2023, 01:11 AM
No need to type deleted. You can delete your posts on here forever. Go to your post, press Edit Post, then at top of the next page check box in front of "Delete this post in the following manner:", then confirm by pressing "Delete Post" on right hand side.

MarcoA64
May 21st, 2023, 02:44 AM
FredRydr, you say "Posting marks? That's what polish is for." Which polishes do you refer to? Brand names that can be mentioned here? Do you need to use 12000/8000 grit paper before polishing? Do you mechanically apply polish or do you use elbow grease?

MarcoA64
May 21st, 2023, 02:46 AM
I don't post, ever. The only pen I post is the modern Kaweco Sport. I'm waiting for my vintage Kaweco Sport to be shipped back after I sent it to change the cork seal. I guess that this one will require posting too as it is shorter than the modern one.

Dt123
July 19th, 2023, 09:37 PM
FredRydr, you say "Posting marks? That's what polish is for." Which polishes do you refer to? Brand names that can be mentioned here? Do you need to use 12000/8000 grit paper before polishing? Do you mechanically apply polish or do you use elbow grease?

I just did a repair on a 147 Traveler using micro-mesh and Micro-Gloss #1. The Micro-Gloss stuff is great - was really impressed by the results. I'd imagine you could remove most average wear from regular use with version #1. They also sell a heavier grit version Micro-Gloss #5, which i also have but haven't tried.

Sailor Kenshin
August 2nd, 2023, 12:25 PM
For those of you with the Montblanc 146—do they post securely?

I bought a Wing Sung 629 as a test case (please stop laughing), and it does not post securely. It's worth what I paid for it, but I like pens that do actually post.

Chrissy
August 2nd, 2023, 12:56 PM
They seem to be pictured as posted regularly on web sites when they are for sale but I never post mine because they are long enough without being posted. I only post pens that are designed to be posted like the Montblanc Bohème, TWSBI Mini or the Kaweco Sport.

joolstacho
August 2nd, 2023, 10:56 PM
If you are getting scratch marks from posting , you're pushing it on too hard yes?

Cyril
October 11th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Post it or Not , it is a personal choice.
When you use a pen worth $1.00 or $10.000 it is going to waist it's look or aesthetic of it's quality from it's original non used state. When pens get micro scratches or other signs of use there are ways to remove it and give some fresh looks..
Mont Blanc pens are made to use longer. Some believe they are made to keep as MINTY as original and in both cases it fit both mind. So that is why it is a successful Tool.