PDA

View Full Version : Organics Studio Jules Verne

WirsPlm
September 3rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
It's a straightforward bright, light blue color, without tints or other colors mixed in. It's a very cheerful color to look at.

I did the same test on two different kinds of paper. One sheet (with the pink lines) is a sheet from a Miquelrius notebook I have. The MR site lists this as 72 gsm paper with a special coating. I have noticed before that the paper is definitely coated. The other paper (blue lines) is from a pad of cheap paper from my work supply closet.

I used a Platinum Preppy that came free with a bottle of Noodler's ink (at least, I think it's a Preppy? It looks like one).

Office Paper:
http://i.imgur.com/DleSbvCl.jpg

MR Paper:
http://i.imgur.com/y1BPIAZl.jpg?1

Shading:
Shades a little, but stays basically the same color.

Feathering:
Didn't happen on either paper. The lines stayed the same width on the MR and office paper, which impressed me because that office paper is not designed for FPs at all.

Dry times:
The 1, 5, 10, 15 numbers in the middle-left of the sheets were tests for dry times.

Since the MR paper seemed to be very slow-drying, I included Noodler's Black Swan in Austrailian Rose and X-feather below the 5-second test to help with comparing dry times for some more common inks. BsiAR was still smeary after 5 seconds, while X-Feather was basically dry. Jules Verne was acceptably dry after 5 seconds, although it was still smear-able at 15 seconds.

On the office paper, it was dry at 1 second, very nice!

Water Resistance:

The grid on the left is a drip test, and on the right is a smear test. I wouldn't call this water-resistant, since it smeared heavily on the MR paper. The cheap office paper seems to have just soaked the ink up and kept it, the grids survived better on that paper.

Saturation:
This was to show how multiple strokes impacted the ink color. The 1 is one line, at 2 I went over the line again, for 3 I went over the line 3 times, etc. The color changes greatly between just one line vs. 2 lines, and keeps getting deeper the more times a stroke is gone over. Useful for drawing and controlling shading, I think.

Bleed/Show through:

The cheap office paper clearly showed every line on the other side of the page and there was definite bleedthrough. The MR paper showed through faintly in spots, and had a little bleedthrough on the water tests and the multiple-stroke tests.

Other notes:
It doesn't feel like a very lubricating ink, it's not as smooth a writer as some other inks I have.

The bottle is just a simple plastic bottle packed in a cardboard box. Sturdy and practical. It's clear plastic and not tinted.
Bottle and pen:
http://i.imgur.com/U7HebIYl.jpg

My opinion:
For me, it's a bit light, but still readable and good for notes. I do like how it handles cheap paper, although it seems to have more trouble with nicer paper. It's decent as a note-taking ink, is great for drawing blue objects and is a very fun color.

jacksterp
September 3rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Is it really as light as it seems in the pics?

earthdawn
September 3rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Nice review...

I would love to see it in a stub or flex nib....

WirsPlm
September 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Is it really as light as it seems in the pics?

It is pretty light. I would say a tad darker than in the pics (lighting setup was an issue). But it is a light ink, and I wouldn't use it in anything smaller than a medium nib because I think there'd be problems seeing it.