PDA

View Full Version : De Atramentis Artist Sepia

Yazeh
February 5th, 2023, 05:10 AM
This ink belongs to the Artist series and is slightly less archival than the Document series.

In a nutshell: I would recommend this ink only to those who either used broad nibs, wet medium/fine nibs without feedback and excellent smooth paper. For those who don't use these options, mindfulness is obligatory. 😇

Longwinded version:
This is a high maintenance ink in a nonconventional way: It demands the right nib/paper combination!
The Pilot Kakuno Ef wrote with a smoothness of fingernails on chalkboard. The perfect self-torture implement. The Stub like a blunt knife. :fencing:

With Lamy Safari F/M, while the line was nice and juicy, I recoiled each time I reached for the pen. Some one had mixed sand in the ink. It’s a good option for those who have serious pen /ink addicts. You will be pen sober in no time. :D

However, writing with a Pilot M/Safari B/Kanwrite was surprisingly enjoyable. And with the fude nib acceptable.
So be forewarned. :)

Chroma
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/fpngallery/monthly_2023_02/large.Chroma.jpeg.c9cb50fe73063d5f3b36cc38c5719fd8 .jpeg
Ink comparison:
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/fpngallery/monthly_2023_02/large.Compariaison.jpeg.d4f5d4718d945b0cff66108909 9ebf6f.jpeg
Writing samples:
Rhodia
TR 68gr
Midori

Cheap/ absorbent paper
Back
Photo: TR 68gr
Close up:

I challenge myself with the yearly inktober. This sketch was done with the Ef nib. I can blame the mediocrity of my talent to the ink... but surprisingly the experience was acceptable... The left to right motion worked fine.
Water test: A bit of excess ink is removed, but other than that respectable.
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/fpngallery/monthly_2023_02/large.Watertest.jpeg.3c7f4dda16db6b3878f19d5d6b217 018.jpeg

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno (Ef/M/stub) Lamy Safari (Fine/ /Medium /Broad) / Kanwrite Ultraflex (wet) / Jinhao 450 fude (wet)
· What I liked: Writing with a broad nib, and Kakuno M and sketching
· What I didn’t liked: Writing with Ef, F, medium and stub. It needs a wet pen and a smooth nib.
· Shading: From medium to broad
· Ghosting: Yes, On cheap paper
· Bleed through: Yes, with absorbent papers.
· Flow Rate: Good
· Lubrication: If you write with wet nib.
· Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
· Start-up: No problem.
· Saturation: Dark.
· Shading Potential: Bleak.
· Sheen: Nonexistent
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
· Staining (pen): No
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy. Though it might stain transparent sections.
· Water resistance: Excellent
· Availability: 50 ml bottles

Comments appreciated but not obligatory :)

LizEF
February 5th, 2023, 07:35 AM
I love the kitties on your swatch cards, @Yazeh! :D And now that I think about it, I'm rather surprised by the lack of lubrication. De Atramentis inks, in my experience, tend to be wet and well-lubricated - even in EF nibs. It's too bad this one is an exception.

Yazeh
February 5th, 2023, 08:08 AM
I love the kitties on your swatch cards, @Yazeh! :D And now that I think about it, I'm rather surprised by the lack of lubrication. De Atramentis inks, in my experience, tend to be wet and well-lubricated - even in EF nibs. It's too bad this one is an exception.

Thanks! I love them kitties too ;)
Yep, I was surprised too. In retrospect and struggling with the equally dry, mystery ink #48, I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the amount of pressure I exert. When writing I apply more pressure, when sketching I don't. So maybe that's the key :)

mizgeorge
February 5th, 2023, 08:18 AM
Such a shame for such a nice colour.

I also love the kitties - and everything else about your reviews Yazeh :)

Sailor Kenshin
February 5th, 2023, 08:22 AM
The color is right up my alley. But not the properties! Thanks for the review, Yazeh. 😊

Yazeh
February 5th, 2023, 10:41 AM
Such a shame for such a nice colour.

I also love the kitties - and everything else about your reviews Yazeh :)You're too kind [emoji4]

Yazeh
February 5th, 2023, 10:41 AM
The color is right up my alley. But not the properties! Thanks for the review, Yazeh. [emoji4][emoji120]