PDA

View Full Version : Selling my pen collection

Puckstopper
February 6th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Hello all. I'm paring down my pen collection. I used to work for Gillette/Newell and I have way too many samples kicking around. All are new old stock, unused in mint condition. Thanks for looking

https://glenb2480.wixsite.com/puckstopperpens

aurore
February 6th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Particularly Waterman prices are very ambitious...

dougb1426
February 6th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Particularly Waterman prices are very ambitious...

+1
If you really want to move some of your pens, suggest you look at actual sold prices on eBay. It will give you a good idea of actual market value in many cases.

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
February 6th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Hi. Welcome to fp geeks…

Puckstopper
February 6th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Hi. Welcome to fp geeks…

Thank you!

Puckstopper
February 6th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm kind of clearing them out at a pretty generous discount. In general I'm looking for around 1/2 of retail value. I should have stated that in my original post!

aurore
February 7th, 2023, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm kind of clearing them out at a pretty generous discount. In general I'm looking for around 1/2 of retail value. I should have stated that in my original post!

They are your pens, feel free and try nad sell them for whatever you wish, however, with all respect, for instance a Waterman Hemisphere FP has never cost 500 dollars or anything close to it, never and nowhere. Not even 250 or 200.

Doggy Daddy
February 7th, 2023, 04:17 AM
...I'm looking for around 1/2 of retail value.
Unfortunately, the prices you're asking are more like 2X retail. At these prices, you can expect to be enjoying your collection for some time to come.

Chrissy
February 7th, 2023, 04:31 AM
IMHO you should consider placing your images here and not relying on an external link

Puckstopper
February 7th, 2023, 11:14 AM

They are your pens, feel free and try nad sell them for whatever you wish, however, with all respect, for instance a Waterman Hemisphere FP has never cost 500 dollars or anything close to it, never and nowhere. Not even 250 or 200.

I think the key takeaway is I'm open to offers...the SRP is a starting point for both parties but I'm not expecting those figures

McKool
February 7th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Generally, most of the people here respect and expect realistically set prices. With all due respect to you and your collection. . . . you're trolling for offers and people will tend to ignore your listings.

Zaptrax
February 7th, 2023, 10:42 PM
I kinda feel like a voyeur for just having read all the replies in this thread. :shocked:

Puckstopper
February 8th, 2023, 10:29 PM
Generally, most of the people here respect and expect realistically set prices. With all due respect to you and your collection. . . . you're trolling for offers and people will tend to ignore your listings.

Yeah quite right, I'm trolling for offers. If someone wants to buy a pen from me they can make me an offer. As far as I know that's called commerce. If I force you to buy a pen then that's called government. Sheesh....

Zaptrax
February 8th, 2023, 11:14 PM
This is a community and, like all communities, it has shared values and customs. That‘s the glue that holds communities together and makes them work. This community works pretty well, from what I've observed. Like people say, read the room.

Puckstopper
February 9th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Thanks to everyone who took some time to look over the collection and to those who made a purchase. All the best

Pen Tom
February 9th, 2023, 12:28 PM
I've found that its hard enough to try to sell a pen. But at least try to make it as easy as possible for the potential buyers. Not having the pictures right in the posting is not a good idea at all.
I like much older Waterman pens, so I don't know the value of your listings. But the comments seem to indicate that they are high. Setting prices way too high and expecting people to offer the much lower reasonable price might be commerce, but its bad commerce. Most people won't do that. And those that do will offer really low alternative prices. Maybe if a pen was more rare and unusual. but not for everyday stuff.

You have been offered a lot of good advice by people experienced on this site and similar sites. You would be wise to take it. But you seem to think that you are correct

blopplop
February 12th, 2023, 10:25 PM
Humility goes a long way for someone new trying to sell on a sight where no one knows them. A good community will sniff out any potential problem sellers. There's no need to be offended if you're legit. Take the advice offered by the more experienced on this forum and be humble... not defensive.

Ezinternet
February 16th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Just so as to leave the thread on an upbeat note, I wanted to share that I bought a very nice NOS rOtring pen from the OP, fine price, great communication, tossed in an extra something too :-) and generally a flawless transaction.

I’m appreciative of fpgeeks as the welcoming community it is for people sharing an interest or passion (or compulsion!) about writing instruments and such.