PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Tomoe River

heath
September 4th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I'm still a bit green when it comes to fountain pens and thus all things fp-friendly. Below is my experience with Tomoe River paper.

So, Tomoe River Paper. It’s one of the most talked about papers in the fountain pen community and probably in the middle of the road in terms of price. I thought it over and came to the conclusion that if it was as good as I had been reading it was it might very well be the best value in fountain pen friendly, non-journal, paper out there.

A little over a week ago I received a letter from a contact in Alaska that was written on Tomor River paper and it looked amazing. A good amount of ink on the page and no bleed through. It is light to the touch and feels like artisan paper more than anything else I have tried. It’s not made in a hipster shop in PA but it is really solid paper made by people trying to make better paper.

And so, I bought a pad. The easiest way I have been able to find it is in 50 or 100 sheet pull off pads in various sizes in either white or cream. I choose cream because that was what I had seen and knew I liked it but I plan to try the white very soon. You can get it starting from about $7 for 50 sheets or $12 for 100 sheets plus shipping on both. There are several places that sell it and it’s not hard to find if you are searching for these pads. There is also the phenomenon known as group buy where people pool there money and order multiple reams of the stuff and split it. It seems like a decent enough idea but a lot of work just to get paper you can get in these pads for an ok price.

So, I’m not going to rate it any more than I already have above as I haven’t tried a thousand types of paper to compare it to but I will say it is my current favorite for writing letters. Below is a sample of some writing on a page as well as some shots of the pad.

My review with pictures - http://heathcates.com/2013/tomoe-river-paper/

Ondina
April 11th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Thank you for the detailed review, Heath. The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper. It is also not easy to get and epensive if you live in Europe, where more reasonably priced alternatives can be found. French papier à lettres "par avion", Spanish " papel de cartas por avión", English " air mail stationery" or even Bank typing paper. Ryman's performance was quite good the last time I got some, about two years ago, but a sample this year showed a lesser quality. Airmail paper is becoming progressively hard to find, sadly.

Silverbreeze
April 28th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Europeans are lucky, paper sucks in the USA. So far the only good papers from US based businesses are sugarcane like F-C sells or imports from Italy, France, Germany or Japan. That are retailed here or custom bound here.

I try to support small business whenever I can afford to.

Tom

Scrawler
April 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Europeans are lucky, paper sucks in the USA. So far the only good papers from US based businesses are sugarcane like F-C sells or imports from Italy, France, Germany or Japan. That are retailed here or custom bound here.

I try to support small business whenever I can afford to.

Tom

I contacted every paper manufacturer in Canada to find out if any made high quality writing paper, so that I could buy a more local product. Not one makes any, nor will they. The biggest market is printer paper and newsprint. One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I also support small and local business.

Silverbreeze
April 28th, 2014, 12:33 PM
One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I hear you, I didn't realize Canada shares the problem. I know Jay of PaperforFountainpens ships to Canada as does F-C. Renaissance Art Leather does too but they are for custom bound journals and pricer then the other two.

In any case, it may cost insane custom fees to you. Of course Goulet and Anderson are also options just am sure you know those

Scrawler
April 28th, 2014, 04:00 PM
One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I hear you, I didn't realize Canada shares the problem. I know Jay of PaperforFountainpens ships to Canada as does F-C. Renaissance Art Leather does too but they are for custom bound journals and pricer then the other two.

In any case, it may cost insane custom fees to you. Of course Goulet and Anderson are also options just am sure you know those

I purchased a whole lot of paper from Goulet once and was dinged by excess duties and exchange rates. Now I buy foreign made paper from Wonderpens in Toronto and Paper-Papier in Ottawa.

Silverbreeze
April 28th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Do you favor European or Asian paper??

Scrawler
April 28th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Do you favor European or Asian paper??

I received a few sheets of Tomoe River paper to try and I like it very much, but it is generally unavailable, so I normally use European paper. Tomoe River is so fine that it works really well with fine flex nibs, which can catch on up strokes on paper like G. Lalo.

kataish
May 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I received a few sheets of Tomoe River paper to try and I like it very much, but it is generally unavailable, so I normally use European paper. Tomoe River is so fine that it works really well with fine flex nibs, which can catch on up strokes on paper like G. Lalo.

Wonderpens stocks Tomoe River. Thats where I get mine :) Also I just wanted to say since you shop at WP as well (as you mentioned in a previous post), DO NOT try the Life brand typewriter paper. It says its fountain pen friendly but its not at all. With fine nibs its fine on one side (TONS of bleed through on the back), but with broader nibs, the ink just soaks into the paper and feathers like crazy. I was really disappointed in it. I had forgone a pack of Tomoe River to get that one and try it out and I wish I didn't!

mhosea
May 5th, 2014, 10:04 AM
The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper.

I like the paper, but I may not buy another batch. On the one hand, I have noticed myself that there can be spots on the Tomoe River paper where the coating is too thick/slick, causing the ink to bead slightly instead of laying down evenly to dry. On the other hand, if a pen has any nib adjustment issues, such as a slight baby's bottom that that isn't usually a problem, it might be a problem on this paper.

Scrawler
May 5th, 2014, 10:43 PM

Wonderpens stocks Tomoe River. Thats where I get mine :) Also I just wanted to say since you shop at WP as well (as you mentioned in a previous post), DO NOT try the Life brand typewriter paper. It says its fountain pen friendly but its not at all. With fine nibs its fine on one side (TONS of bleed through on the back), but with broader nibs, the ink just soaks into the paper and feathers like crazy. I was really disappointed in it. I had forgone a pack of Tomoe River to get that one and try it out and I wish I didn't!

The G. Lalo paper I am using right now came from WP. I am hoping to get to TO in July, and if I do I will be popping in to see Liz. I bought some paper from another place that was being sold as "resume paper". It looks nice, but is the bleediest, most feathering paper ever. Despite being think and heavy, I was able to present my review by photographing the reverse side.

Silverbreeze
May 6th, 2014, 04:55 AM
The G. Lalo paper I am using right now came from WP. I am hoping to get to TO in July, and if I do I will be popping in to see Liz. I bought some paper from another place that was being sold as "resume paper". It looks nice, but is the bleediest, most feathering paper ever. Despite being think and heavy, I was able to present my review by photographing the reverse side.

Yikes that sounds worse then American 20lb copy paper

Scrawler
May 6th, 2014, 06:48 AM

I put it away somewhere in the house. I should dig it out and send samples to members here to try. The thing about this paper is that it looks and feels like a fine textured, quality paper. It is actually sold with the express purpose of creating a favourable impression for a person's resume.

Silverbreeze
May 6th, 2014, 07:20 AM

I put it away somewhere in the house. I should dig it out and send samples to members here to try. The thing about this paper is that it looks and feels like a fine textured, quality paper. It is actually sold with the express purpose of creating a favourable impression for a person's resume.

Errr isn't ink jet ink almost as picky about feathering as the liquid inks we use

Scrawler
May 6th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Errr isn't ink jet ink almost as picky about feathering as the liquid inks we use

I don't know. I do not have a printer, or any use for printer paper.

Lady Onogaro
May 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM
The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper.

I like the paper, but I may not buy another batch. On the one hand, I have noticed myself that there can be spots on the Tomoe River paper where the coating is too thick/slick, causing the ink to bead slightly instead of laying down evenly to dry. On the other hand, if a pen has any nib adjustment issues, such as a slight baby's bottom that that isn't usually a problem, it might be a problem on this paper.

Hey, Mike,

What do you use/like/recommend (esp. for fine point)?

mhosea
May 6th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I'm going to say Clairefontaine, but in reality I'm afraid I'm no help on the paper side, as I'm not a paper connoisseur by any means. Most of the time I use a Rhodia pad. I think I read somewhere that Rhodia paper is made by Clairefontaine, but they seem a little different to me. I slightly prefer the Clairefontaine paper I have. This kind of paper delivers tight lines, is feather resistant, and shows shading well. Drying time is longer than more commonly seen paper, but it is a good compromise, IMHO. Tomoe River shows more shading, but you pay for it with longer drying times. However, as I mentioned before, these kinds of papers require a superbly adjusted nib for best results with no "skip starts", and out-of-the-box most pens are not there, IMHO. If you can tolerate that little skip-start after a pause, then you'll be fine, though.

RudyR
May 6th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I have been talking to Sue Silberman at Silberman Brown Stationers here in Seattle about having Tomoe River in her store. She has a pad for people to demo and will conduct some marketing research into the viability of carrying that product. Careful though, she has some amazingly good products including Amatruda Amalfi paper that is quite expensive but very intriguing. Fun Shop. Good folk too. Her main problem is finding a wholesaler for Tomoe River paper.

Tracy Lee
May 6th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Amalfi is like writing on your clothes. Wonderfully textile. But some inks will feather like a mad dog. I have used it for years. How nice you can walk into a store to purchase it! And great she is willing to do the research to expand what she carries. A+ for that store!!

Silverbreeze
May 6th, 2014, 04:42 PM
From what you are saying, is Amafi like 120 lb cotton rag???

AndyT
May 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I think I read somewhere that Rhodia paper is made by Clairefontaine ...

That's correct, Mike, but the Verilhac family is still involved so it's reasonable to assume that they do their best to keep the product distinct from that of the parent company. I also slightly prefer Clairefontaine (90gsm) to standard 80gsm Rhodia: it seems a touch smoother and possibly a purer white, but Rhodia is far easier to source in convenient formats here. I've yet to try the Rhodia R paper (90gsm cream tinted), but it's unlikely to be a disappointment.

That hard start issue will annoy some people and it only gets worse with hand oil contamination. Wet writers fare well, but the dryish broad nibs which excel at shading will need to be well tuned.

As regards fine points, I've been writing a letter on ordinary Rhodia this evening with a very flexible needlepoint dip nib and not got caught in the fibres once. That's a testament to the quality of the paper, definitely not to my abilities.

akapulko2020
December 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM
After reading so much about Tomoe River paper, just ordered 6 pages of it - Cream and White, from www.jetpens.com They also have pads available if I'm not mistaken , and US shipping is free for purchases over 25$

barnaby.bumble
December 11th, 2014, 01:17 AM
I find Tomoe River the most resilient to nib problems: almost anything will write well on the stuff. I have an italic nib that doesn't, but that nib . . . I'm not sure it would reliably lay down ink on blotting paper. Tomoe River also produces the best shading with most inks I've tried.

Bear in mind I've tried far fewer inks than many here, and have far fewer pens.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 11th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I tend to use Rhodia pads and haven't had any problems with any pen, including pointed dip pens. I discovered that my University Print Shop stocks some interesting papers, including (I think) Munken paper. I have a couple of sample sheets in my office and it is lovely to write on (I hope I remembered the name - will check tomorrow). The point of this slight deviation is that a ream of the stuff is quite cheap (I will check that too). Watch this space!

Lady Onogaro
December 11th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Lately I have been using some Strathmore paper I got from JBB Pens, and I like that very much. You can find it here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/161131489/strathmore-writing-paper-25-cotton?ref=shop_home_active_20

She has some other good choices for fountain pens as well.

sharmon202
December 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM
I am almost thru a pad of Tomoe River (from Jay)and have not had any skips, rough spots, or any issue I can tell. Currently, after a year of experimenting, my go-to paper. I generally use F/EF Japanese nibs. I used Triomphe which was good, Rhodia & Clairefontaine in several types which were good. The only paper I found that was not good was a Fabriano dot pad, like fibers came off the pad and clogged nib. Among the first I bought and taught me right off not to buy 2 of anything at first. Anyway, I realize using finer nibs keeps me away from some issues.

VertOlive
December 14th, 2014, 07:14 PM
To chime in, when I was first exploring papers, G. Lalo sounded so good, I bought a pad. It turned out to be just too rough for my taste. Only my hefty chinese pen with the standard medium nib could navigate it.

I just received a letter on something called "Rhodia 'R'" and wrote in the margins to test it. Very nice and I might stray from my Tomoe-Only lifestyle to try it.

Silverbreeze
December 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I think Rhodia R is Rhodia Premium can anyone confirm?

Newjelan
December 15th, 2014, 01:04 AM
I think Rhodia R is Rhodia Premium can anyone confirm?

Yes