PDA

View Full Version : Whittled my Kawaco Sport cap.

Gonzo
February 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Gonzo
February 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Awfully small image. Sent from my phone. A good test for my first post :)

dannzeman
February 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Gonna try again.

eriquito
February 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hey Gonzo!

Yes, it's a small image, but from what I can say, the whittle job came out very nicely!

What did you use? Just a pocket knife? An x-acto knife? A chisel? An axe?

I may have to try this myself!

Gonzo
February 9th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks guys. I used a pocket knife. I first tried this on a Bic lighter about a year ago. It reminds me of the rusticated finish on a briar pipe.

Maestroram
February 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys. I used a pocket knife. I first tried this on a Bic lighter about a year ago. It reminds me of the rusticated finish on a briar pipe.

That looks wicked sweet! I wish they made them to look like that.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.353332,-111.059098

KrazyIvan
February 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
It looks somewhat like those hammered silver Parker caps I have been seeing. Nice!

jor412
February 15th, 2012, 05:01 AM
That is beautiful. Wish I had the skill (and guts) to do the same :)

Maestroram
February 15th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I know that this is slightly unrelated but are there any cartridge converters out there that work in the Kaweco pens or are you just stuck using cartridges?

jor412
February 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I read somewhere that the Monteverde converters work.

Pinkys.Brain
February 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I read that the Monteverde converters sort of work. Sometimes they do not fit 100%. I also saw another even smaller converter on another forum. But it was about the same size as a normal cartridge, so it held almost no ink. In my opinion the Kawecos are rather wet writers, so such a small converter might be too much hassle.

I use one Kaweco as an eyedropper, the other uses the cartridge+syringe combo.

And then there is the "German way" (i.e. found on a German forum):

Might be an option if you are not using a demonstrator or Ice version of the Kaweco. It should hold a bit more ink than the Monteverde and easier to get by.

KrazyIvan
February 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I read that the Monteverde converters sort of work. Sometimes they do not fit 100%. I also saw another even smaller converter on another forum. But it was about the same size as a normal cartridge, so it held almost no ink. In my opinion the Kawecos are rather wet writers, so such a small converter might be too much hassle.

I use one Kaweco as an eyedropper, the other uses the cartridge+syringe combo.

And then there is the "German way" (i.e. found on a German forum):

Might be an option if you are not using a demonstrator or Ice version of the Kaweco. It should hold a bit more ink than the Monteverde and easier to get by.

Interesting. I wonder how you calculate where to cut it without cutting the piston rod, or whatever it's called. Does it matter if you cut the rod?

Pinkys.Brain
February 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
The original poster does not say how much of the piston he cut. He basicly cut the converter barrel(?) and glued the piston mechanism directly to the now shortened barrel. Judging from the picture he then cut the piston screw(?) but about 1 cm. But one can only guess how much of the piston rod he cut (<1 cm)...

KrazyIvan
February 15th, 2012, 09:29 AM
The original poster does not say how much of the piston he cut. He basicly cut the catridge barrel(?) and glued the piston mechanism directly to the now shortened barrel. Judging from the picture he then cut the piston screw(?) but about 1 cm. But one can only guess how much of the piston rod he cut (<1 cm)...

Ooooo, I did not realize that was a cartridge barrel. Odd, I did not think cartridges had metal rings on the mating end.

Pinkys.Brain
February 15th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ah, sorry. I meant converter barrel. m_ _m

-> edited #13

I think I will have to try a converter mod today. But we are driftiiiiinnnnnngggg away from the OP ;=)

KrazyIvan
February 15th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yes, apologies. :o

Pinkys.Brain
February 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Now I have to apologize for derailing the thread again.

While trying to get a normal converter to work with the Kaweco I had to accept that you cannot use the piston rod and the converter barrel together without cutting at least one of the two. The metal nut is problematic as it is too wide to fit into the body of the Kaweco, so it has to be detached.

So now I just detach the piston rod/mechanism after filling the converter and then plug the end of the converter. It is a bit of a hassel and you have to be careful not to have ink flow out of the converter before plugging it, i.e. pointing the nib slightly upwards so that the ink does no leave the pen though the nib, but it works.

As a plug I just cut an empty cartridge, inserted the little plastic ball that comes with it and then filled the whole stump with glue.

(you dont have to cut the screw of the converter. It is the result of a failed try to fit the whole converter into the pen

Pros:
- not too messy -> if properly used no inky fingers
- you do not need a syringe to fill a cartridge. You only need the converter (and the detachable piston mechanism)
- if the plug has the right size it snuggly fits together with the converter into the body of the pen and it touches the end of it => it cannot accidently unplug (so far)
- easier to clean than a cartridge, and the converter can still be used to flush/clean the pen

Cons:
- converter holds a bit less ink than a normal cartridge
- you have to be careful after the filling and before writing with the pen, as pressing the plug into the end of the open converter presses some ink into the feed -> risk of ink blobs right after the filling -> point the nib upwards and wait a minute or so.
- you have to keep the piston mechanism, so you always need two parts to use it
- one has to slowly unscrew when opening the pen so that the converter does not get stuck in the body of the pen (I have to fix that)

So all together pros and cons more or less balance out. Filling a normal cartridge with a syringe is might still be easier so I will use that method. Also, the Pelikan converter does not fit 100%, so its fits loosely.

Update: The pen started leaking as the glue in the plug was not hard enough...have to glue it again.