PDA

View Full Version : I've Killed my Diamine Ancient Copper!

Rickygene
September 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM
If you are a Diamine fan and a bit sensitive, read no further...

Somehow I've managed to kill my DAC. The whole bottle! Opened it last night, filled my new pen (pilot VP with Richard Binder cursive italic nib) and wrote a horrible mucky green line!

Thinking back to a few nights before. I was doing some dip nib practice with ESSRI and decanted my pot back into the bottle when I was finished. Somehow I must have put into my Ancient Copper. What an idiot!

Lesson learned for me.

One for you ink mixers out there - Diamine Ancient Copper and ESSRI mix - not pretty!

I'll order a new bottle soon. More than one bottle of Diamine makes economical sense because of the postage. Any recommendations? I already have Oxblood (love it) and Sherwood green (a bit too teal for me).

Thanks for reading my tale of woe!

PS: if you haven't heard of it, ESSRI is Ecclesiastical Stationery Suppliers Registrar's Ink, an iron gall ink with fantastic properties.

yipe
September 5th, 2013, 01:53 AM
My goodness, the horror! I don't have any myself, but I've been eyeing Diamine Twilight. Very pretty blue-black. There's an inkcyclopedia entry (http://fpgeeks.com/2012/07/inkcyclopedia-diamine-twilight/) on it.

I would recommend a Diamine ink I already actually have tried, but I'm very new, haven't tried many inks yet (I have about 11 ink samples and a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black) and the Oxblood you mentioned already owning is my absolute favorite. I do have Syrah as well, it's a little more purple than the red-wine I was hoping for, though it is still very nice. If you like purple however, get that absolutely, it's very well-behaved even on my awful paper (Clairefontaine arrives today!)

Carole
September 5th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Somehow I've managed to kill my DAC. The whole bottle!

Shhh--not so loud! Inkicide is considered a felony around here: they can slam you into the Greybar Hotel for that. :D If so--make it sound like an accident. Maybe you'll get out with just a warning, or a court order to only use Waterman Florida Blue for a week. :wink:

(I was gonna suggest Diamine Teal or Eau de Nil, but if you don't like that part of the spectrum, Rustic Brown is really nice. Also Red Dragon. )

Rickygene
September 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM
I was worried I might get a black mark against my name, but then I realized it would take the forum years to decide on the blackest of black inks to use! :-)

Feardorcha
September 5th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Diamine chocolate brown is a fantastic colour if you are a fan of brown inks. I would recommend Delamere Green or Twilight.

I was worried I might get a black mark against my name, but then I realized it would take the forum years to decide on the blackest of black inks to use! :-)

Not to mention which pen/nib combination

Cake
September 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
A tip to prevent this in the future: I always decant into one of the sample vials I get from Goulet. This way I never put back what I did not use into the original bottle.

My Diamine picks: Red Dragon (more of a dark red compared to the brownish red hue of Oxblood), Dark Brown, Asa Blue, or Sargasso Sea.

oldstoat
September 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM
My Diamine favourites are (today,anyway) Midnight Blue, Chocolate Brown, Florida Blue, Syrah and Eclipse

cwent2
September 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
A tip to prevent this in the future: I always decant into one of the sample vials I get from Goulet. This way I never put back what I did not use into the original bottle.

My Diamine picks: Red Dragon (more of a dark red compared to the brownish red hue of Oxblood), Dark Brown, Asa Blue, or Sargasso Sea.

Don't forget to label the vial ...... just a friendly reminder, I know I didn't.

Cw

Rickygene
September 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the tip. I recently purchased some Goulet vials so I will always use them in future. I think Red Dragon, Graphite and maybe evergreen will be added to my Ancient Copper order.

tiffanyhenschel
September 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I did something similar but not as drastic a few weeks ago. I was flushing pens and switching inks and accidentally put half a converter full of Noodler's Old Manhattan Black into my Levenger Pinkly.

I was not happy. It wasn't enough to turn the bottle black, but it wasn't Pinkly anymore. I had on hand some pink samples to experiment with so I could decide on a replacement for when the bottle ran out, and in frustration I just dumped them all together into what was left of my Old Manhattan Pinkly!

Oh well. I can never recreate it, but it is a pretty and vibrant pink.

While I was trying to rescue the ink, the puppy noticed the barrel from my first custom Edison that had fallen onto the floor. It did not end well.

cwent2
September 6th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Ouch