PDA

View Full Version : I find that my handwriting needs to warm up before getting "in to the flow"

I like mango pudding
September 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
of my ideal handwriting.

I started to write this morning several paragraphs worth of notes. I'm trying something new where I would handwrite some notes first before compiling them on the computer for filing and permanent storage. I noticed I needed some warm up time for my handwriting. I never really paid close attention to it till now. I knew it was a bit sloppy at times, but never really put two and two together untill now.

The first few lines this morning weren't that particulary consitent. The general flow and character of my handwriting is still there, but I wasn't truly happy with the way how the letters were forming. Only after about a hundred words or so did I see a marked change in consistency, flow, and rhythm to my writing. I've written probably about 1000 words so far in the past three days, and I've kept all my notes so far for comparision, and to anyone else, it all looks the same, but to me, I can tell.

Also, one occasion the other day, I tried a different pen with a different nib and it looked totally different (to me at least!) I couldn't get that rhythm and flow, even with about 100 words written. I stepped back, took a break for the afternoon and then started to write again with my original pen.

I find I write differently with different pens and different nibs too.

Feardorcha
September 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I find I'm the same only the other way around. The longer I write the more inconsistencies start to show through. I assume it's either a dip in concentration or that I get so caught up in what I'm writing that my hand struggles to keep pace with my thoughts.

jacksterp
September 6th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Definitely takes me some time to get going. Then I hit a comfortable pace. But if I don't keep my concentration, I gradually go down hill.

I believe this stems from not practicing cursive enough. When I'm just jotting something I print in caps.

ilangai
September 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Definitely takes me some time to get going. Then I hit a comfortable pace. But if I don't keep my concentration, I gradually go down hill.

I believe this stems from not practicing cursive enough. When I'm just jotting something I print in caps.

Same here.. I'll need to be in the right zone for me to go cursive.

Strangely enough, i used to right only cursive but now i'm more aware of my hand writing and am "careful" for how it looks.

The different pens/nibs/inks sure makes a huge difference.

AndyT
September 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
What I ought to do, because it works, is the Palmer Method loosening up method: a few lines of overlapping ovals. Rarely happens though.

Generally my writing starts out a bit tense and jerky, settles down for a while, then speeds up with predictably unfortunate effects on the legibility. Squeaky nibs with a bit of feedback improve matters for me because they're so enjoyable to write with, I don't feel inclined to rush.

Deano
September 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Fine motor skills need a bit of loosening up, and you usually cannot do them all day long. I cut dovetails for woodworking projects by hand. I try to do them in the morning for an hour or so. Every morning I cut a few on scrap wood to get started before working on the real project.

I like mango pudding
September 6th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Well it's the end of the day now and my handwriting took a turn for the worse. I don't know if my hand is seizing up or if it's the weekend effect. I can't write worth squat now... Going to pack it in. I'm not even going to bring a pen home.