Nice!

cwent2
September 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Nice!
thanks, it wooden and appears hand painted

cw

jar
September 7th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Look underneath the bird and see if it's signed?

cwent2
September 7th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Look underneath the bird and see if it's signed?

no markings on the bird at all - the very bottom of the bird, or the base if you will is unpainted wood

OakIris
September 11th, 2013, 08:28 AM
That is a very nice letter opener, cwent. You said your mother used it...do you use it as well?

I don't get many letters - I don't write them either so I can't complain - but I now use my mother's letter opener to open up my bills and such. My mother was a great letter writer and used it for years to open letters and notes from her friends and colleagues; she probably bought the letter opener when she lived in New York in the late 1940's. The handle is sterling silver; the letter opener was made by the Danish silversmith company, Georg Jensen.

Should you be interested, here is an earlier thread on letter openers that contains more information about my letter opener - thanks to BikerBabe. More importantly, it contains photos of some other very nice letter openers owned by fellow-FPGeeks: Letter openers (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-T4wBmJ8lbNo/UXrAmJUBnzI/AAAAAAAAAsM/w6yRuF-ATEQ/s640/IMG_0902.JPG) :)

Holly

cwent2
September 11th, 2013, 10:15 AM
That is a very nice letter opener, cwent. You said your mother used it...do you use it as well?

Thank you, yes I use it - it has a prominent place on my desk at home, right next to the pen case I received from Tracy Lee.

And sorry, I did not realize there was a thread already on this subject. That is some letter opener you have as well - very nice!

I like mango pudding
September 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM
that's cute!!!

I used to have one similar to that, but it was some sort of tropical bird and probably not much of a collectors item. Picked it up in my travels through SE Asia. I have some carved wooden ducks that are signed by local artists here.

KrazyIvan
September 12th, 2013, 08:29 AM
That is very cool Carl. I need to get myself a nicer letter opener. I have a cheap office letter opener that bends at the slightest touch.

OakIris
September 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM

Thank you, yes I use it - it has a prominent place on my desk at home, right next to the pen case I received from Tracy Lee.

And sorry, I did not realize there was a thread already on this subject. That is some letter opener you have as well - very nice!

Very cool! (Hey, I see you live in RI - my letter opener was in Rhode Island for many years. I grew up in Cumberland.... :p)

No worries about starting a second Letter opener thread; it was time for a new one!

Holly