PDA

View Full Version : Visconti Maxi 25th Anniv. Homo Sapiens w/ Medium Stub Nib

Chi Town
September 8th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hi, I just bought this pen and am quite disappointed at how it writes! I was surprised at how LARGE the nib writes! I have medium stubs in my stable of pens and none of them write as large as this pen does. This pen writes almost like a Broad Stub. Now, that's not to say that I am unhappy with the overall pkg of what I purchased! The pen is flat beautiful in design, and it came with a Visconti Leather 2 pen case AND a Visconti Traveling Inkwell......Check out the pic's below!

earthdawn
September 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Congrats...

Would love to see a writing sample.

Did you have a medium made into a stub or is it a stock medium nib?

Chi Town
September 8th, 2013, 05:00 PM
It is a factory made medium stub

I'll work on some writing samples, but the football games are on :-)

earthdawn
September 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM

LOL.. I hear that... Im watching the Jets game I DRV'd and the Yankee game throught my iPad... trying to get through those before the Giants game.

All the while "you know who" keeps coming into the living room asking if this "****" is over yet :)

Chi Town
September 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM

LOL.. I hear that... Im watching the Jets game I DRV'd and the Yankee game throught my iPad... trying to get through those before the Giants game.

All the while "you know who" keeps coming into the living room asking if this "****" is over yet :)

Ahhh, can you tell thru my moniker where I am originally from? That's right Chicago-Land, then moved to Albuquerque 17 years ago......But I am a Chicago fan hard core thru and thru, but I draw the line between the sox and the cubbies, even though I grew up on the south side of Chicago, in the suburbs, I am a hard core cubbies fan!, Bears, Hawks and "Da bulls"

Bogon07
September 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Congratulations on your Visconti Maxi 25th Anniv. Homo Sapiens set.

Generally most of my Visconti pens seem to write very wet and wide. One 18K stub is produces very big lettering compare to similar width stubs/italics.
Some also seem to not like certain inks & paper and require a bit of experimentation to find the right combination. One was almost unusable with Edelstein Amber but fine with Noodler's Cactus Fruit.

Could you rotate the angle of the nib to obtain a slightly thinner line ?

Laura N
September 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Congrats on the pen! And more important, the Bears won!

fountainpenkid
September 8th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Saw these at D.C. They looked nice!

Tracy Lee
September 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM
If you don't love the nib, go to Coles of London website and fill out a nib swap form and send the pen to them for something else. It will cost you only postage there, the nib swap is free since yours is mint and they send it back on their dime. Might take up to 3 weeks. I love the fat mediums, but Visconti has a very nice fine that I found I enjoy too. Just an option to consider if you can't love the medium.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Bogon07
September 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Looks like you're not the only one who finds the stub nib too wide
Here is one on eBay
"The nib is just too wide for my writing, which is almost always contained to small spaces. Pen is as new with no issues, contains all boxes and paperwork."

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130984904575?clk_rvr_id=519033608559#ht_196wt_1382

Chi Town
September 9th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I changed the ink and it made all the difference in the world as far as how it writes! I originally was using Mont Blanc Honore de Balzac ink which is a very pretty ink, but just was not compatable with my new pen, the Visconti Maxi with the Medium Stub and tonight I changed the ink to Diamine Red Dragon.....Boy what a difference! For the positive it made! I still need to do a writing sample for y'all! Now I am using the Balzac ink in a Mont Blanc Classique fountiain pen, medium nib, and it writes as it should. I will be selling that pen on the geeks soon, The Mont Blanc I mean, it also is a Bordeaux!

Masudhaq
September 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Last week I also bought the Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel with a medium nib and tried it with Diamine as well as Noodler's ink. It was too broad for what I needed, much broader than the ST DuPont medium nib that I also use. Today I went back to the shop and had the nib swapped out for a fine tipped nib (also a dream touch). Much happier with the change. It does not bleed through on Clairefontaine paper or Rhodia notebook as the medium nib did.

Chi Town
June 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Never thought of rotating the angle? However, when I write, I tend to rotate the nib backwards for some reason. This is why I like a Left handed Oblique Nib so much! It is a natural nib cut for me for when I write!

gregamckinney
June 15th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I wasn't aware Visconti offered both a medium stub and a broad stub. The only width I've ever heard of (whether steel, gold or palladium) is the 1.3mm wide one.

greg