PDA

View Full Version : MOP handle

Rich L
September 8th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I've been having "fun" over the past couple of weeks putting this thing together. It takes me a long time because I come close to overthinking a lot of processes before I do them trying to make sure I don't screw up. This is a silver barrel with inlayed mother-of-pearl and the structural effect is just like what's done with wood, plastics, and metal. The big challenge was that nothing is compliant, especially the MOP, and I wanted flawless inlays. I got close. This is posted on IAP as well.

Here's a brief rundown:

Make the barrel - that included drawing down the end of a silver tube to a taper and then hammering the end almost closed. Press in the threaded piece in the other end. The barrel was complete for the next process.

Fill the barrel with epoxy to give strength the the tube for milling and also to give temporary backing to the MOP while finishing the outside

Mill to close tolerance the MOP pieces and liberally glue (CA) them into the slots I milled. There are three solid pieces of MOP in this barrel. Milling parameters were 1/4" high helix mill (using the side), step over was .015, feed about .5 IPM (slow). MOP thickness was ~.175

File and sand off the excess from the outside

Drill out the inside. This was very slow as there was MOP in there and I had to make sure I didn't get too agressive and crack it. I used a dead sharp drill, ran the lathe at 600RPM with a feed of .120IPM (really slow). Drill diameter was .358

Finish sand and polish. 800 - 2500 grit, then white and red rouge for final cut and color.

Take pictures.

I wanted something simple, elegant. Tossing ideas about for the cap which will not have an inlay the way I like to do them because the wall thickness is too thin and there will be other stuff in there like threads and things. At least things will be there. The clip will be simple as well but in the traditional design I use.

Cheers,
Rich

Nomdeplume
September 8th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Ooh, Rich, that is elegant!
So pretty!

Marcia

KrazyIvan
September 9th, 2013, 09:34 AM
My first thought was, Oooooooooooo, cool, he made a pen out of a drill bit. Then I saw it is much cooler than that.

elderberry
September 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I admire your work.

Feardorcha
September 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM
This isn't a pen, it's a work of art

drgoretex
September 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM
That is really quite beautiful, Rich. I keep straying to your website and heaving a deep sigh. Want...

Ken

PS - Just HAD to read through the description again. If I understand correctly, now that it is drilled out, there is no backing behind the MOP? Or is there still a layer of epoxy to support it, and keep it from 'popping out'? Finally, I have probably asked this before, but what sort of price range do your pens go for (feel free to PM that response to me)?

heath
September 9th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Nice pen!

Laura N
September 9th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Wow. This is absolutely gorgeous.

cwent2
September 9th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I would fear holding it - wouldn't want to smudge it up.

InvisibleMan
September 10th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Wow, that is truly a work of art. Beautiful.

Rich L
September 10th, 2013, 12:13 AM
That is really quite beautiful, Rich. I keep straying to your website and heaving a deep sigh. Want...

Ken

PS - Just HAD to read through the description again. If I understand correctly, now that it is drilled out, there is no backing behind the MOP? Or is there still a layer of epoxy to support it, and keep it from 'popping out'? Finally, I have probably asked this before, but what sort of price range do your pens go for (feel free to PM that response to me)?

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments.

After drilling, there is still a thin layer of epoxy, about .030 thickness that provides a good bit of support especially under the "ends" of the inlays. The drilling removed all the backing under the center of the inlays. So there is at least .070 inches of support on all sides icluding the silver wall and a little extra under the ends because of the angle at which it's cut. MOP is pretty strong but can be brittle and chip if mishandled but I believe the structure I have is more than sufficient. That's why I was so darn careful and slow in the machining. You probably know all that. It's the CA that bonds the MOP to the silver and to the epoxy. Price? Well, I have advertised MSRP for the Slipstream run as around $1600 and that number is published in Pen World. But, you know, no one buys at that level.

Cheers,
Rich

john
September 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
wonderful job:hippie:

caribbean_skye
September 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Love the use of MOP and it complements the silver so well.

Not sure I should go to your site, that could be very dangerous.

Pelikan-Vera
September 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Stunning.:)