PDA

View Full Version : Kakimori Soyo

Yazeh
May 12th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Kakimori, describes their ink as such : "Soyo is like a breath of fresh air. A colour that evokes the feeling of a pleasant breeze."
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0405/6150/8515/products/07-soyo_7ceac62f-9063-4a12-a3b0-01ccfbefbf7d_1080x.jpg?v=1650856240
Photo courtesy of Kakimori website.
Lets start with the chroma:

This is my least favorite ink by Kakimori, mostly because of it's paleness and lack of lubrication. You would need a cushiony nib, to enjoy the writing experience. Otherwise it's scratchy with finer nibs and dry times are quite long, especially with Japanese paper.

Writing samples:
Rhodia
For some reason, the scanner picks green (with Midori). This is a pale blue.
Tomoe River 68gr
It behaves well on Hammermill copy paper 20 lb
Front:
Back
Photo:

I would say, its utility is for fountain pen ink art, journaling with wide or cushiony nibs preferably on thick absorbent papers.
Water test:
Left side was held under running water
Comparaison:
and finally a small sketch on Strathmore Drawing Paper:

This was one my doodles, for the yearly Inktober challenge, the prompt was Doctor.
I was wondering if Dr. Felix would be able to manage his speech without being distracted by the tassel ;)

· Pens used: Pilot Elite (Ef/Stub) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B), Kanwrite Ultraflex, Jinhao fude nib
· What I liked: writing with a wide fude nib, and ironically smudging and easy of cleaning.
· What I did not like: Writing experience with all pens (very scratchy) but the very wet, Kanwrite, and Jinhao fude nib. Illegibility with most nibs. Long dry times.
· What some might not like: Same as above.
· Shading: None.
· Ghosting: Faint
· Bleed through: None
· Flow Rate: Too wet
· Lubrication: None existent
· Nib Dry-out: None.
· Start-up: None
· Saturation: Light
· Shading Potential: Only with fude nib.
· Sheen: None.
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Nope.
· Staining (pen): No.
· Clogging: No.
· Cleaning: Easy
· Water resistance: Excellent
· Availability: 30 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier :)

LizEF
May 12th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another enjoyable review. I don't much care for the ink (color or paleness), but I do like Dr. Felix and his tassel! Good call - definitely an "art ink" (or for folks with those big wet Pelikan nibs). :)

Yazeh
May 12th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Thank you, Yazeh, for another enjoyable review. I don't much care for the ink (color or paleness), but I do like Dr. Felix and his tassel! Good call - definitely an "art ink" (or for folks with those big wet Pelikan nibs). :)

You're most welcome! Glad you enjoyed the art work :)
I'm not sure if a wet ink, is best for this ink. As the ink is wet, very wet, but lacks lubrication ;)

LizEF
May 12th, 2023, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure if a wet ink, is best for this ink. As the ink is wet, very wet, but lacks lubrication ;)

Oops. Missed that. I'm so used to poor lubrication going with a dry flow. OK, so big, smooth, dry nib. :)

Chrissy
May 12th, 2023, 11:49 PM
I like the colour and the bottle but I don't use pigment inks in my pens so will stick with my Kyo No Oto Hisuko. A favourite of mine. :) Also a dry ink but easily treatable to improve it. :)

Yazeh
May 13th, 2023, 03:43 AM

Oops. Missed that. I'm so used to poor lubrication going with a dry flow. OK, so big, smooth, dry nib. :)

Yeah. This is the thing with Kakimori. Wet inks with low lubrication :)

I like the colour and the bottle but I don't use pigment inks in my pens so will stick with my Kyo No Oto Hisuko. A favourite of mine. :) Also a dry ink but easily treatable to improve it. :)

The bottles are really lovely. Hiosku is more grey and a lovely ink. Kakimori inks are in my experience very easy to clean, which is quite a feat :)

Sailor Kenshin
May 13th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Bottle coolness: check. ✅
Color: sorta check. 🆗
Kitteh: double check. ✅ ✅
Ink behavior: thumbs down. 👎🏻

Thanks, Yazeh!

Yazeh
May 13th, 2023, 12:48 PM
Bottle coolness: check. ✅
Color: sorta check. 🆗
Kitteh: double check. ✅ ✅
Ink behavior: thumbs down. 👎🏻

Thanks, Yazeh!

Sailor Kenshin's comment ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅ ✅

mizgeorge
May 13th, 2023, 03:19 PM
I'm so sad at this one. I love Soyo...

This was from an guess the ink, and I'm now almost ready for my second bottle.

Yazeh
May 13th, 2023, 03:34 PM
I'm so sad at this one. I love Soyo...

This was from an guess the ink, and I'm now almost ready for my second bottle.

I was sure this would be one of your favourites. And I'm glad that you managed to tame this ink, with your talent. :)