PDA

View Full Version : Designing a language...

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I've been working an aphabet concept... a visual language idea...these images are from one of my note books... Right now I'm creating a visual set of patterns with variations... this will eventually lead to identifying individual "Letters" and then they will be assigned to the alpahbet... and numbers... What makes this interesting to me is the visual beauty of the letters and the ability of those letters in pattern to communicate complex ideas, emotions and the physical interactions we engage with every day...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
September 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
That is some heady stuff. Good luck and I'll have one of whatever you're having!

erpe
September 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Very cool idea, re-inventing something that we have been using for a few centuries. When I see this kind of things, I wonder what people are smoking these days :) But I will give it a shot once you're done. Keep us posted.

writingrav
September 11th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I'm in for learning this when you're ready to teach.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Its only coffee.. and a huge dash of creative imagination :)

That is some heady stuff. Good luck and I'll have one of whatever you're having!

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Its only coffee.. and a huge dash of creative imagination :)

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I read somewhere that we lose" x" amount indigenous lanuages everyday( can't remember the exact amount)... and we have been for a long time...the Industrial/ Buisness languages are taking over the globe. This is partly due to the rise in computers, the internet and smart/cellphones... global markets... So, for me one of the conceptual question is... Can we create new languages that evolve with our trajectory of industrial and cultural development that are beautiful and universal? And then there is the written language vs typed language and how those formulate how we use language... most people type words... Script is not taught in school anymore... etc....

It for me an interesting exercise in creativity.....

erpe
September 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
You might be looking for something like Esperanto, completely artificial and probably therefore with limited success. However, Esperanto used the same character-set as modern western languages. It might be an interesting thought experiment to figure out whether is would be possible to keep an language as it is and just modify the characters. For example, add a character for "PH" pronounced "F", a character for "TH" and more like it. Or maybe take it all the way and create ideograms for English.
Tradition is in the way. Just try to say the alphabet in a different order without skipping one, or change the layout of your keyboard to alphabetical order. In high-school I tried to write Dutch and German using classic Greek characters, later I tried German in Futhark. It's not easy but I haven't given up yet, good to know that I'm not the only one :tea:

Feardorcha
September 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I find languages fascinating especially those with ideogram alphabets/characters. I hope you keep us posted with your progress and would love to see more examples.

InvisibleMan
September 11th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Fun project! Ten thousand years from now, an archaeologist will find that notebook and screw up ancient history classes for all the little Eloi. That will be awesome.:)

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
For those of you who might be interest in the pens I'm using in these.... Lamy 2000 EF, Lamy dialoge 3 F, Laban Albalone with a #6 M stainless nib
At some point I'll start working with something more flexible....

Adhizen
September 11th, 2013, 01:31 PM
I live for such mischief :)

Fun project! Ten thousand years from now, an archaeologist will find that notebook and screw up ancient history classes for all the little Eloi. That will be awesome.:)

Waski_the_Squirrel
September 11th, 2013, 06:57 PM
There are groups that actually design languages for fun. JRR Tolkien did that to create his universe.

I briefly considered it for my science fiction, but quickly decided it was too much work with too little payoff. I'm having enough trouble learning a spare language (Chinese) anyway. But, I respect the amount of work that goes into creating a language.

I like mango pudding
September 11th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Isn't the creation of Klingon enough for us?????:)

yipe
September 12th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Welcome to the world of conscripting (CONstructing SCRIPTs), which itself is a part of conlanging (CONstructing LANGuages)!

I can't wait to see you new language! Don't forget that you don't have to make your alphabet exactly equal to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz! Maybe you need a letter just for the TH sound. Maybe you want a letter for the th in then and a different one for the th in thin! Maybe one for the ch in chutzpah? Maybe you don't even make an alphabet! Maybe you make a syllabary! Make each letter stand for a full syllable! So a letter for a, a letter for ba, a letter for da. Or maybe your writing system only has full letters for consonants, and the vowels are represented with accent marks and diacritics!

I could go on forever, but you've stumbled upon one of the funnest, geekiest, and most creative things you can do with a fountain pen, congratulations!

pencils+pens
September 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Speedwriting is a fairly successful way to speed write English. It falls within the stenographic tradition, which is something you should look at for symbolic representations of English. The most common shorthands in English are Pitman (England especially - Teeline maybe supplanting this in the UK) and Gregg (US).

Years ago, I learned Esperanto. I learned it well enough to read it but without speaking partners I could not converse in the language. I don't know if I could read it today. Esperanto is the most successful of the artificial languages.

Adhizen
September 12th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I have this book and Scroll project that I'm working on and it seemed in order to make it unbais and neutral any text in it would have to be translated by everyone. That way no one would techically have an advantage over its content. It would be like the grimoires of the ancient alchemists... mysterious and that would draw people in to want to know...

I have been studying Tibetan, Sanskit, and some of the very eary African Alphabets... I don't want to be locked into just translating the English alphabet. I'm looking into phonetic sounds and hand gestures as well.

Its gearing up to be great winter project.

This is a pretty good resource for current know alphabets and scripts and some history about them: http://www.omniglot.com/index.htm

dr.grace
September 12th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Your script is very nice-looking, but I agree with Waski: I'm already having enough trouble learning Chinese. (Chinese is perhaps a poster-child language illustrating the difficulties inherent in a non-phonetic script. Although there is a phonetic component to many characters, the phonic elements are subtle.)

Marsilius
September 12th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I love it. The first one will HAVE to be called something like the Tweedle-beetle--bet, or Tweedle-beetle-bottle-battle-bet.

Adhizen
September 14th, 2013, 09:07 AM
This is language and alphabet is mostly part of the Book and Scroll project... and part of my curiosity about what it would take to create a lanugage. It is an interesting creative design exercise because there is so much to consider when you begin to explore the written language form and how it functions to communicate complete ideas and the day to day navigation of communicating....

Pens&Lit
October 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
This is a very cool project! I look forward to seeing it evolve!

yipe
October 7th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Probably the most important part of making a script is making it fit the language it's designed for. So what's the language like?

orfew
October 7th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the world of conscripting (CONstructing SCRIPTs), which itself is a part of conlanging (CONstructing LANGuages)!

I can't wait to see you new language! Don't forget that you don't have to make your alphabet exactly equal to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz! Maybe you need a letter just for the TH sound. Maybe you want a letter for the th in then and a different one for the th in thin! Maybe one for the ch in chutzpah? Maybe you don't even make an alphabet! Maybe you make a syllabary! Make each letter stand for a full syllable! So a letter for a, a letter for ba, a letter for da. Or maybe your writing system only has full letters for consonants, and the vowels are represented with accent marks and diacritics!

I could go on forever, but you've stumbled upon one of the funnest, geekiest, and most creative things you can do with a fountain pen, congratulations!

English used to have two symbols for th, eth and thorn. Eth and thorn were both used in Anglo-Saxon but both th sounds (voiced and unvoiced) were represented by the letters th as Anglo-Saxon changed into Middle English.

fountainpenkid
October 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I love to do this! I can't think of how many old notebooks of mine have "____ Alphabet" on the back pages of them. I think I did nearly memorize one of them.

Seele
October 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Adhizen,

The script reminds me of Manchurian or Vulcan (as per Star Trek); no one has yet constructed the Vulcan language, but Manchurian, along with several other written languages, were invented for the purpose of transcribing an existing, long-established spoken language; in that sense they are phonetic and can comply to very few simple rules; an example is the Hangul script developed in Korea for popularizing literacy, and it was a resounding success. But my immediate reaction when seeing your experimental writing is that it's close to Manchurian in structure than anything else I can think of. Good luck!