PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE: a PARKER 61 set with fountain pen and pencil

Saintpaulia
September 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM
At the risk of telling you stuff you already know, the Parker 61 was unarguably the epitome of fountain pen elegance in operation. And by 'operation' I mean the filling system. After years (years!) of work by the Parker gnomes, they came up with a truly revolutionary fountain pen filling system, the capillary cell.

It has no moving parts. No lever, no aerometric, no vacumatic, just capillary action. Getting physics to work for the user, or something like that. There's a great ad that I'll show you, very famous, in which a still handsome William Holden is simply staring with amusement and amazement at a pen put arsey-versey into an ink bottle. It is filling itself. Heck I've already sold myself on this pen!

After saying all those great things about the 61, in the end one's relationship with a pen depends upon things like holding it, which often the on-line shopper has to do without. Such was I :(. Because I had read that the 61 was slightly slimmer than the '51', I figured the grip diameter would be okay for me. Well that was not the only thing. If it had just been that I could've kept it. But it is also a mite too heavy and its balance is all wrong for me. It's just one of those things, you know?

What it does is to write with a very wet, medium nib-line. This is not a pen for lovers of fine lines. This pen on most paper writes a very nice medium. And this nib is s-m-ooo-t-h. I'll attach some images. This 61 comes with one of those weird Liquid Lead pencils, now useless. So it's a set, as you'll see in one photo taken by Tom Mullane, the pen wizard who sold it to me.

This set comes in a collectible color, the "Rage Red". The Liquid Lead pencil was another innovation of Parker's that did not turn out as well as the pen. The pencil requires a refill "cartridge" and these are no longer made. So the pencil is simply included in the deal to make the original set complete. The "real deal" is, of course, this fabulous red Parker 61!

The pen is in immaculate condition. The capillary cell is pristine and operates perfectly, its Teflon surface like new. I'd like to get $105 for it, plus $5.00 for the First Class postage. Please feel free to ask me any questionsl. I answer promptly. You can reach me by "Private Message" here on FPGeeks or via my email on the profile section. Thanks for looking.

Saintpaulia
September 16th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Re-listed at a reduced, bottom-dollar price, $105.00 for the set.