PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Which Mark is this one.

Paul-H
September 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a Parker 51 and am in need of a little help identifying which Mark it is.

Can anyone help

Its an English Made Pen with Rolled Gold Cab.

It has a very thin clutch ring which should indicate its a Mark 3 but it has the rounded end of the earlier pens.

Anyone got any idea as to what it is or is it a Mk3 with an earlier Barrel fitted. Also if its any help it says press bar 4 times on the filler.

Thanks for any help

Paul

grandmia
September 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Paul
Does the sac protector have the black stud at the end ?

Paul-H
September 12th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hi

No, there is no black stud.

One other thing I have found out is, I have another English 51 that I understand is a MK2b and that one has the black stud and although the barrel from the 2b will fit the other one the barrel from the other one will not fit the 2b its about 5mm to short, so obviously the filler in the burgundy one is shorter as well.

Does that help.

I was wondering if it was a Demi but was unsure if there where any English Demi's.

Paul

Paul-H
October 5th, 2013, 12:50 PM
If its any more help, the Cap has the Parker 61 type of clutch fitted, the thin clutch ring is held in p-lace by the hood and the filler has press 4 times on it.

A picture of the filler

Anyone got any idea as to what mark it is, did they do some sort of transitional model between the mk2 and mk3

Paul-H
October 5th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hi

I have been digging more and more into this and am starting to thinks it is a Mk3, as its more Mk3 than anything else.

Its got the 61 style Clutch, Its got the decorative only thing clutch ring, it looks like the filler is not a true Aerometric but the version with the breather tube, so everything looks like a Mk3 but the round end to the barrel which is also shorter like on the Mk3 which normally has a flatter end to its barrel.

So to me it definitely looks like some sort of Mk3 or a transitional Mk2 to Mk3 what do you reckon am I on the right track with my thinking.

Thanks

Paul

Barry Gabay
December 30th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Hello Paul, Is your pen full size or the smaller Mark III size? I have the same pen in two versions, one the a regular full-size 51 and the other the smaller Mark III size. Both have the narrow clutch ring and rounded end. Both were made in the UK. My full size is grey with lustraloy cap, the smaller one has a rolled gold cap. It's an interesting model, isn't it? Best wishes, Barry

welch
January 3rd, 2015, 10:36 PM
I call that one (I've got three) a Mark II, English Bloody Burgundy, with rolled-gold cap. I use Mark III for the 51s from the late '60s with a clip just like a P-61 clip, and a flattened "blind cap". A Mark I would be a P-51 vac; Mark II an aerometric.