PDA

View Full Version : Forest Fires

Scrawler
June 8th, 2023, 08:01 AM
I live in the middle of the Boreal Forest in Canada. Right now the forest is on fire. The nearest fire is about 60km from where I live. Fortunately there is a body of water between that fire and the piece of forest I live in so they may be able to stop it there.
The meadow outside the house is smokey and smells as if I am sitting beside a camp fire. My friends in that area have been evacuated. I am not sure what to do. I am recovering from cancer treatment. I am operating on the effective capacity of half a lung with an inoperable tumour in my left lung and I can't run.

BlkWhiteFilmPix
June 8th, 2023, 08:06 AM
Sending positive energy your way, and at the forest fire.

Please keep us posted.

best wishes

Bob

Chrissy
June 8th, 2023, 09:05 AM
If i was you I would do my best to leave with some help. The best of luck. :)

Chip
June 8th, 2023, 12:42 PM
If you can't leave soon, get some N95 filter masks for the smoke, or failing that, use a handkerchief or other fine-gauge cotton cloth, moistened regularly.

When I fought wildfires we were often working in thick smoke for a week or more. I used the bandanna trick, and still coughed up black traces of ash for weeks after.

Sorry you're in a fix.

Yazeh
June 8th, 2023, 12:48 PM
Sorry Scrawler to hear your predicament. I recommend you call Emergency services in your municipality or 911. Tell them your predicament. THey'll help you!

Sailor Kenshin
June 8th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Amen to all. We're seeing it even down here.

Jon Szanto
June 8th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Scrawler, I can't do anything but wish the very best for you. The last few years in California have given me ample experience in the current climate that you are in. I will hold you in the Light.

usk15
June 8th, 2023, 02:35 PM
Maybe you can move temporary to a different location, until this fire will be under control. I'm not sure how the smokey air can affect your lung tumor, but I wouldn't take a chance. It is hard to give right advice, when you are not in the same situation. God may give you the strength!

Scrawler
June 8th, 2023, 03:36 PM
I have received evacuation preparedness information and so have packed my pens and inks into Mason jars which I will put with other things in a sealed plastic box. I will put the box in a steel drum and chain it to a stump beside the pond. If I have to evacuate I will push the barrel into the pond.

Scrawler
June 8th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Maybe you can move temporary to a different location, until this fire will be under control. I'm not sure how the smokey air can affect your lung tumor, but I wouldn't take a chance. It is hard to give right advice, when you are not in the same situation. God may give you the strength!

The smoke is not good because of it I have decided I will evacuate. I have gotten people over to help pack my stuff up and get me out.

Scrawler
June 8th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Sorry Scrawler to hear your predicament. I recommend you call Emergency services in your municipality or 911. Tell them your predicament. THey'll help you!

I called the local Freemasons

manoeuver
June 9th, 2023, 04:22 PM
Godspeed, Scrawler. And good luck if Godspeed isn't enough.

joolstacho
June 9th, 2023, 06:25 PM
Let us know how you go Scrawler...

Scrawler
June 12th, 2023, 09:35 AM
The local fire is out. We are lucky this is a lake district. It has been raining on and off.
Since I got ill I have developed a dreadful fear of leaving home. I don't know why but the thought of having to be away from home makes me very uncomfortable. Even going out to the store or for medical treatment fills me with dread.
Anyway we are back now, so I don't have to publish the GPS coordinates of my barrel for someone to retrieve.

Yazeh
June 12th, 2023, 09:53 AM
@scrawler, glad everything is ok. If I had gone through what you went through, I would feel the same way. It's trauma. It's natural.