PDA

View Full Version : Birds?

Doctox
June 19th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Any birders out there? I'm no expert, but I have a few pics of some birdies.7834178342783437834478345783467834778348

Chrissy
June 19th, 2023, 02:27 PM
I'm a UK birder so we don't see many of the birds you took photos of. However. they are excellent birds and phots so thank you for sharing them. I used to take more pictures of birds than I do now and started to use my Flickr site for ink reviews instead but there are still some albums on there that include birds. :)

Wile E Coyote
June 19th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Yep, they're birds.

Doctox
June 19th, 2023, 03:49 PM
I'm a UK birder so we don't see many of the birds you took photos of. However. they are excellent birds and phots so thank you for sharing them. I used to take more pictures of birds than I do now and started to use my Flickr site for ink reviews instead but there are still some albums on there that include birds. :)

I had a (late) cousin in Yorkshire who was a twitcher. He once asked me if we had bluetits in Canada. I responded “Only in winter.”

R.A. Stewart
June 19th, 2023, 03:56 PM
Nice photos! I'm very far from an expert myself but enjoy getting out and seeing our local birds. We used to have a twice-annual bird walk in our large neighborhood park, guided by a bird curator from the Field Museum.
It was something I always looked forward to.

Sailor Kenshin
June 20th, 2023, 07:21 AM
One's some falcon…the mottled one might be a bittern. I wanna say cormorant for the black one, but not sure. We have most of them locally. Thanks for the photos!

Chrissy
June 20th, 2023, 02:21 PM
One's some falcon…the mottled one might be a bittern. I wanna say cormorant for the black one, but not sure. We have most of them locally. Thanks for the photos!
I have a book of Florida birds and that suggests the grey bird is a yellow crowned heron. The mottled one could be a bittern but I didn't spot it in my book. I agree the black one looks like a cormorant. The last photo might show the American version of a kestrel but definitely a bird of prey. :) Best I can do with American birdies. :)

Doctox
June 20th, 2023, 08:55 PM
Cormorant, yes, in NJ. The falcon is a female merlin in KY - the males have a bluish grey back. The grey one perched in a tree is a night heron in Costa Rica, and the one in the marsh bak is a tiger heron, slso in Costa Rica, in a mangrove swamp at Quepos.

Doctox
June 20th, 2023, 08:58 PM
The one in the air is a brown booby. I once published a whole series on s. Pacific sea birds called “more brown boobies than a beach in France”.