PDA

View Full Version : Lamy converters ?

Paul-H
September 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Hi all

Just got my first Lamy, an Al-Star and was about to buy a converter and found they list two different converters for their different pens but only one type of ink cartridge, and that got be thinking why two different converters if their cartridges fit all their models why do they need two different types.

Thanks for any help understanding this.

Paul

Feardorcha
September 13th, 2013, 03:53 PM
The converters are not identical. One has a series of protrusions on the body that lock the converter in place in the feed section and the other has a smooth body.

Their arrangement differs on each converter type and typically the cheaper one is made for the lower end pens (safari, al-star etc.) and the other for medium range models (studio, dialog).

The higher priced converter can fit the lower end pens but it will not lock into place and may become dislodged.

Bogon07
September 14th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Both converters will work fine in your Al-Star. The red ended Z24 has nubs to securely lock it in place while the black ended Z26 doesn't. AS Feardorcha says they the black one is designed for the higher priced pens.

Goulet Pens has a video showing and explaining this in detail if you need further clarification.

Paul-H
September 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks

It just seems odd that if they only make one style of cartridge and that fits all of them, why they need two different converters.

Just seemed odd.

Paul

fncll
September 14th, 2013, 11:00 AM
It seems curious to me as well. But, while I've never had problems with a non-nubber converter coming unseated, I appreciate the nubs.

The nubs, the nubs, the lovely Lamy nubs.

Flounder
September 15th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I've the black non-protrusion style converter. I got it just because I preferred the black turning knob, I thought it suited my Vista. I've since seen a youtube clip that suggested that the black piston converter is more transparent than the red.

KrazyIvan
September 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Since the Al star and Safari are school pens, it makes sense they would have converters with training nubs. :)

velo
September 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
It seems curious to me as well. But, while I've never had problems with a non-nubber converter coming unseated, I appreciate the nubs.

The nubs, the nubs, the lovely Lamy nubs.
haha. I like the nubs too.

I've the black non-protrusion style converter. I got it just because I preferred the black turning knob, I thought it suited my Vista. I've since seen a youtube clip that suggested that the black piston converter is more transparent than the red.

I prefer these ones as they feel a little more solid because of the metal band. It would be better with nubs though.

KrazyIvan
September 16th, 2013, 09:31 AM

That is true. The red has a slight "frosted" look to the plastic.

ac12
October 9th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I am having problems with my Lamy Z24 ink converter (in Safari and joy).
When the pen is stored nib up, the ink drops to the back of the converter.
When I pick up the pen to write, the ink stays in the back of the converter. I have to tap the pen or converter to break the surface tension to get the ink to the front of the converter.
This happens with both Waterman and Sheaffer inks.

I keep my joy horizontal to prevent this from happening, and may have to do the same for my Safari.

Interestingly this does not happen with the Z26 ink converter in my cp1, which is loaded with Waterman ink.

Anyone have any idea of what is going on that is different between the 2 converters?

snedwos
October 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Flush it out, there may be a trace of mould release agent making it flow funny.

printhardcopy
October 25th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Hey guys.

There is fake lamy convertors on the market.

AL star and safari are both using same convertor.

i discover fake lamy convertor when a guy bring a fake lamy safari to me.

Then i take a closer look at the engraving of word on it.

KBeezie
October 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM
The Z26 with the chrome/silver and black appearance tends to be nicer looking in demonstrators or pens with clear parts.

VertOlive
October 29th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Ditto KBeezie. The Z26 looks much better in my Lamy Vista than that big red plunger on the Z24.

Bogon07
October 30th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Ditto KBeezie. The Z26 looks much better in my Lamy Vista than that big red plunger on the Z24.
It is the equivalent of a big red clown nose.