PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Give Away #2

dannzeman
March 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM
With Fountain Pen Geeks' Give Away #2, we wanted to out-do ourselves. So we put our (pointed) heads together and came up with a brilliant give away: A Fountain Pen!

And not just any pen... Let me introduce you to a 1947 Cordovan Parker 51 Demi with a 14k gold filled cap. This pen has been restored by yours truly, so it's good to go. The diaphragm has been replaced, the collector, feed and nib all thoroughly cleaned and the pen polished to a mirror-like shine.

All you have to do to enter is tell us what your favorite pen is and why. You'll have until 11:59pm (your time) on Sunday, March 28, 2010, to leave a reply and be entered into the contest. The winner will be randomly selected, contacted via email and announced in the forum thread.

We look forward to hearing from you and learning about your favorite pen!

http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Parker51demiGiveAway-1-600x89.jpg (http://www.fpgeeks.com/2010/03/welcome-give-away-2-2/parker51demigiveaway-1/)
http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Parker51demiGiveAway-2-600x195.jpg (http://www.fpgeeks.com/2010/03/welcome-give-away-2-2/parker51demigiveaway-2/)

speedmaster
March 22nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
Great contest, thanks!

My current fav. pen is my Pelikan M800. I'm a big fan of piston fillers, and this one has a great nib and huge reservoir.

bdpatton2
March 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
My favorite pen is Fighter Provenance Fountain Pen Limited Edition (150). This exclusively designed pen has a unique shape that is not linked to either the Sidecar or Sentryman families, and has taken its inspiration from the iconic British Spitfire aeroplane from the Second World War.

The aluminium material used to make this pen actually comes from the Rolls Royce Merlin engine casing of an original Spitfire. The clip design is based on the shape of the Spitfire’s propeller, and the Plexiglas material in the cap is similar to that used for the aeroplane’s cockpit – further details include panel and rivet detailing that emulates the fuselage of the ‘plane.

This pen is made from genuine provenance material that is over 60 years old, and there will be visible markings from the recasting process. These are unavoidable, but add to the authenticity and beauty of the piece. Limited Edition - (150)

http://www.dunhill.com/en-us/catalogue/writinginstruments/limitededitions/#/?i=11

ajkimmins
March 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
So far it would have to be the Lamy Safari FP. The two I have are my only fountain pens so far!!!

Kelly G
March 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
My favorite pen? That is a tough one - too many choices - too many reasons. I'll go with one of four that are in the pocket today. The four I'm carrying most often the last six weeks or so have been: 1. Preppy highlighter w/Year of the Golden Pig ink (I'm a student doing lots of reading thus the highlighter); 2. Parker "51" Aerometric Standard Forrest Green w/gf lined cap, M nib and Noodler's Borealis Black; 3. Pilot VP Black Carbonesque w/EF nib, Noodler's Dark Matter Black; 4. OS Sheaffer Balance Brown Striated Vac filler w/F nib, Dark Matter black.
And the favorite is: the Sheaffer Balance. Classic Style, holds a ton of ink, smooth fine big two-tone gold nib. Just a great pen. But it is only one of many that could qualify for my favorite.

mguild
March 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
My favorite pen so far is my black Lamy Safari F nib. I wanted it to be the Parker 51 I got on ebay, but I havent got that one to work properly...

beandoc
March 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
My current favorite pen is an Esterbrook that I have yet to identify, as I just recently inherited it from my fiancee's grandmother, who recently passed. Surprisingly, the sac was in workable condition, and after flushing what I'm sure was 50+ year old bright blue ink residue, I have it filled with my Noodler's Blue-black. Now, if only the others I got (a Sheaffer snorkel and another Sheaffer touchdown, I believe) were in similar condition. Both of the Sheaffers have sacs that are beyond petrified. I wish I knew how to restore them!!

fabiorr
March 22nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Hi,

My favorite pen is a Pilot M90 medium nib.

Cheers,
Fabio

Breck
March 22nd, 2010, 11:45 PM
The favorite pen question is always a tough one...

Not to appear to be tilting the contest (random selection and all), but Vacumatic Demi Parker "51"s are very high on the list. The full girth is great, and combined with the perfect-for-me balance when posted and the outstanding hooded nib system is a winner. I have one in grey that I use daily since I rescued it from my own sale posting.

Speaking of pens I post, I'm also a huge fan of WW2-era Sheaffer Triumphs. I have a black one with the Autograph band, engraved 'Amalgamated Bank Chicago' that I keep filled with Waterman's Havana. It's one of the pens that I could be satisfied with forever in a desert island scenario.

Last but not least, the Montblanc 146. Mine is a late 80's model with monotone EF nib. Very comfortable size and balance, massive ink capacity, and the streamlined shape that I strongly favor.

Great contest and great site! Had a blast with the quiz (10/11, not that I'm bragging - ok, maybe a little...).

Kooky Chick
March 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Hmm...my favorite pen? That's difficult, because I have different "favorites" for different purposes!

I'll say my current favorite of the moment is my Pilot 78G with a B nib--it was a gift from a pen friend, is sturdy, inexpensive (so I don't have to worry about ruining it), and I love the italic nib!

Waste_Of_Ink
March 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
My favorite pen, hands down, is the Parker 51.
I love the way it looks, it isn't pretentious, it isn't ugly, and it fits my hand perfectly.
If I'd have to be more specific, it would have to be:
Medium nib, black, silver cap, blue diamond clip, single jewel, vac filler.

gillyohan
March 24th, 2010, 06:41 AM
My current favorite is my Pilot Custom 74 Demo. The nib is smooth with a touch of feedback, the feed keeps the ink coming, the large capacity converter allows me to really show off the ink that is inside even though it's not a piston filler, and the overall size of the pen if nice.

Koyote
March 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
My fave is an old Sheaffer Targa. Was a college graduation gift from my grandfather, well over twenty years ago. Lots of sentimental value.

CourtMad
March 24th, 2010, 10:18 AM
My current favourite pen is a Pilot 4+1 Light - have been using it all the time at uni and for notes.

Hoping to soon have a Pilot retractable fountain pen to take it's place thou :)

P25
March 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
It is hard to choose, but my personal favourite is my Parker 25 with italic nib. It is steel with blue trim.
I got it by chance (seller claimed it is M nib) and it is one of my smoothest writers, despite being italic...

Ernst Bitterman
March 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
This is rather like being asked to declare which child is most valuable. Pressed for an answer, I'll go with the first-year "chubby" Sheaffer Valiant TD I've got. Not only is the body like new, but it's got the good looks and smooth triumph point of the late vac-fillers without the misery involved in fixing the mechanism. I actually kind of like the green plastic, too.

christof
March 25th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Choosing from over 100 pens is not an easy task. But let me try...

Wich pens I do really like to write with?

First one is a Pelikan 100 from 1936:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/4456848972_9b267cc60e_b.jpg
I restored this pen completely by myself. It needed a replacement barrel and I took a U.S. made acrylic replacement part. I like Pelikan 100 because of the very simple design. Every part is screwed and can be disassembled just by hand without any tools. This pen stands for German quality, before WWII.
Second one is a Aurora 88 from 1948:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3521637429_64c0828c88_b.jpg
I like this pen because of its very fine flexible nib. The pen was designed by Marcello Nizzoli, an Italian Architect who worked as an industrial designer for Olivetti. This pen stands for the elegance of the italian 50's.
Third one is a Sheaffer's PFM II from 1959:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2539/4202572517_ab89dd20ab_b.jpg
The fine PdAg (Palladium Silver) nib writes like a dream and I like the very ingenious Snorkel-Filler. This pen stands for the optimistic U.S. way of life of the 60's. It's like a Thunderbird for shirt pockets.

You see, this is not an easy task...so I will choose: all the three!

Christof

major_works
March 25th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Found a link to this site on FPN... what a nice welcome (the giveaway)!

I'm pretty new to fountain pens, but my favorite is one that I've had most of my life but never used until recently. It's a teal Parker 51 aerometric that my father gave me when I was a kid of maybe 8 or 10. Funny how you can develop emotional attachments to things. It wasn't even his; in fact, it's got someone else's name engraved in the barrel. But I kept it all these years (I'm 51).

After finding FPN and learning a bit about fountain pens, I decided to get this old pen back in working order. So I sent it off to Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens and picked it up from Ron in person at the NYC Pen Show last October. Ron did a great job of polishing it up, resacing it, and getting it looking good. It's still a very ordinary 51, pure user-grade stuff, but out of my *very* small collection of about six pens, it's the one I enjoy most. Partly because it came from my dad originally, and partly because it is a sweet writer. It has a fine nib with just a little bit of tooth. It is unfailingly dependable and has never skipped a beat. Right now I have Noodler's Cayenne in it and I just enjoy using it almost every day.

MJSchuelke
March 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM
My current favourite is the Lamy 2000. Piston-filling, great, understated looks, a nice, wet-writing F nib (which is more like a F-to-M, really) -- who can ask for more?

Gapato
March 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
My favourite : Lamy Studio ! Why ? I can change nibs at will, it looks (and is) very solid, but with sober and inconspicuous design. Inked with Noodlers' Zhivago right now.

MaryMG
March 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
My all time favorite fountain pen is the Parker 51. In my opinion, it is the finest pen ever designed... Beautiful looks, great style and a joy to write with. My favorite nib for this pen is medium. I currently own a buckskin beige vacuumatic and would love a cordovan brown. Thanks for the giveaway.

Tortoise
March 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
My current favorite is the Visconti Wall Street LE, Pearl Grey, with a Fine Palladium nib. The weight of the pen is perfect, the section is celluloid, it's a piston filler and holds lots of ink, and that Palladium nib is as sweet as can be!

eriquito
March 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Kooky Chick! (Post number 10):

I'll say my current favorite of the moment is my Pilot 78G with a B nib--it was a gift from a pen friend, is sturdy, inexpensive (so I don't have to worry about ruining it), and I love the italic nib!

Congratulations Kooky Chick! I'll be in touch via email.

Thank you to everyone who participated in Give Away #2.

Give Away #3 (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/45-Welcome-Give-Away-3) is already in place - can't wait to see you there! =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Kooky Chick
March 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Woohoo! Thank you so much for the giveaway--I'm so excited! I've never tried a Parker 51 before, and have heard so much about them! Thanks again! :-)

Kooky Chick
April 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding--life has been really hectic lately! But I received the pen, in excellent shape (I love the plastic screw-on container it came in, too)! Thank you so much for your generous giveaway! :-)

rebecca520
April 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM
it's a teal Parker 51 aerometric that my father gave me when I was a kid of maybe 8 or 10. Funny how you can develop emotional attachments to things