PDA

View Full Version : NPD: Lamy 2000 Medium and -v- a Fine

dkpw
June 30th, 2023, 09:40 AM
Since I bought my first Lamy 2000, a fine, at the start of the year, it has easily become my favourite pen. I love the design, the handling and feel of the nib on the paper. I usually use fine nibbed pens, but interested in trying a medium.

But I was really shocked to see how steeply the price had risen since I bought my fine. I paid £135 then, and now online sellers have them between £160 and at £225, most being at £175. A £40 increase in a matter of months is not good.

So I was very pleased when I saw an unused, new in box, medium on eBay for £125. I realised I could use Nectar points and an eBay discount to reduce the price to £98. The seller had 100% positive feedback, the photos looked good, so I used the Buy It Now option.

The pen arrived today and it’s as described, a new, unused Lamy 2000. I gave it a clean to remove the Lamy blue test ink, and filled it with my usual, Diamine Oxford Blue.

Wow the medium nib is smooth! I mean really smoooooth. It’s lovely and wet. It's broader than all the medium nibs on my Safaris. The closest match I have in terms of line width is the medium on my Kaweco Sport.

https://www.dkpw.co.uk/pens/l2k%20mvf.jpg

Compared to the fine Lamy 2000 it’s clearly broader and wetter. When writing it feels much broader, but when you look back at the page, it doesn’t look as broad as it feels. If that makes sense.

Anyway, my default is still the fine, but I’m very pleased to have found an unused medium for such a good price and I’ll enjoy using it with a variety of inks for the shading and sheening the broader nib offers.

Have a great weekend everyone.

https://www.dkpw.co.uk/pens/2l2k.jpg

RWS
July 3rd, 2023, 07:15 AM
Thank you David.

Just a silly question - how do you tell them apart?

Chrissy
July 4th, 2023, 01:52 AM
My Kaweco Sport M nibs may be a good M size but they aren't anywhere near as wet as my Safari's or my 2000.

dneal
July 13th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Thank you David.

Simple. One writes with a fine line, and another writes with a medium. ;)

Seriously though, as someone who ended up with several of these (although I think I’m down to 3 now); it’s a bit of a problem.

Motomachi10
July 14th, 2023, 10:24 PM
Thank you David.

Using different inks?