PDA

View Full Version : Best ink for a flex pen?

Carpio
July 3rd, 2023, 05:25 AM
Hello,

As the title suggests - is there such a thing as the best ink/type/manufacturer of ink to use in a flex pen?
I want to learn how to write 'posh' (now that my handwritting has improved thanks to fountain pens), but now, as in 'using a flex pen', and after watching numerous vids from youtube regarding the use of a flex pen/nib, it appears that when there is a close-up shot of the nib opening, and the ink flows, it looks 'wet'. if that makes sense. Runny for me = wet.
As a novice, I am happy to admit I know no difference.
Mizgeorge was kind enough to help me avoid damage to a pen with a new sac fitted and the ink I had filled it with, so it kind of makes complete sense to ask in advance of a catastrophe maybe blocking the flex pen from 'opening' due to, I think you call it, 'gunk'?.

Thanks for any help.

Carpio

Yazeh
July 3rd, 2023, 07:27 AM
Is it a vintage pen?

If so, avoid pigment (De Atramentis), bulletproof (Noodler's - Polar/ Bad/), shimmer, highly saturated (Diamine Bilberry, Noodler's Baystate family), high sheen (For ex, Organics Studio Nitrogen, and many more), Pink (Ex. Herbin Rose Cyclamen, Skrip Red - They are difficult to clean)/Red/Purple inks in general ;)

That doesn't mean there are not exceptions to the above.
Traditionally Waterman/ Parker/Pelikan blues are what everyone uses.
Other brands, most Diamine/ J Herbin (classical lines) are ok.

Others would more experience will hopefully chime in :)

RobJohnson
July 3rd, 2023, 07:43 AM
Great advice from Yazeh

I am guessing that this ink is for your Mabie Todd.

Personally I would keep it simple with Parker or Waterman.

The beauty of the writing will be from the nib and not the ink

manoeuver
July 3rd, 2023, 08:59 AM
A lot of the time it's more about the nib tuning and technique than the ink.

If it's a vintage pen, avoid modern inks (I only use Waterman in vintage pens.)

Keep your shades (thick lines) subtle- ~1mm as you get started and you won't have trouble with standard inks.

good luck and post your results!

Carpio
July 3rd, 2023, 05:42 PM
Hello,

Thank you very much for the advice.
Much appreciated.

Carpio.

FredRydr
July 3rd, 2023, 07:01 PM
I really like Aurora black for flex writing, but I often use sepia inks for that aged look, especially on vintage real photo postcards. On the other hand, my very favorite flex writer is always filled with Montblanc Toffee.

Schaumburg_Swan
July 3rd, 2023, 08:19 PM
Hi,

many good points so far...
I'm completely with Yazeh, avoid pigmented ink and sac melting reds.

Anyway our Swans harmonize wunderfully with dry iron gall inks!
If you fear a strong IG like Diamine Registrar's / ESSRI / Akkerman #10,
an IG-light like Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is worth a try. It remains blueish in a noble way.
I like the Sepia-Black Gutenberg G10 a lot, even if it is not that dark as the blue-black inks. Personal taste.

The non IG Diamine Green-Black and Robert Oster's Bronze look qoite posh and behave fine in my Swan's, too.

Btw.:What color would you prefer?

Best
Jens

P.S.: When I got my first Swan's five years ago, I made the mistake to buy too much bottles of ink instead of getting samples first...

Robalone
July 4th, 2023, 12:12 AM
Hi. Which inks one uses does also depend on the filling system and…the cost (!!) of the pen.
The cheap ( but not necessarily bad!) pens , with pistons , plastic feeds and cheapo nibs , can handle really bad sheeny inks, and obscure Indian ! Brand inks, cos they are super easy to disassemble and clean.
Having said that, I have hundred plus year old 'safety' propelling pens with OS Nitrogen in them all the time ! Because the nib is permanently submerged in the ink !
The Krishna inks are ones to keep away from vintage and sacced pens …along with some of the other inks mentioned.

So….cheaper piston fillers are fun to experiment with bizarro inks with, but vintage sacced pens will be better off with any of the mainstream tried and true brands…waterman, Diamine ( not sheeners or shimmer !!) Parker etc.

If you can disassemble a pen easily , and maybe re sac it, then it’s not such a chore , whatever ink you use really 🤷*♂️

Carpio
July 4th, 2023, 12:12 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
As with what the replies mentioned, I took all onboard, and went to Cult pens and took a look at the Watermans that they have on sell their. Needless to say, I fell foul to what you mentioned - I put all the available colours (except Red) into my basket. I haven't yet purchased because the full flex I bought has yet to turn up after almost 3 weeks. My favourite colour of ink to use is Brown, but if I am honest, I have already fell foul to over-purchasing different colours. The biggest disappointment - Cult haven't got Brown in stock atm in the Watermans brand. As soon as I've finished typing this reply, I'll go and see if I can find Robert Oster's Bronze. Many thanks for your help.

Carpio

Chrissy
July 4th, 2023, 12:55 AM
I have more than one bottle of Waterman brown ink if you still want to buy that colour. I wasn't aware that it was more difficult to get than the other colours.

Yazeh
July 4th, 2023, 02:22 PM
I do agree with Jens/ and Robalone. Often times many of the "modern" inks don't work well with very wet vintage pens. I had once Diamine Syrah dripping from a "wet noodle [a very wet, flex nib)". Often times you need dry inks . So Pelikan Blue Black is a very good substitute for the more aggressive Essri/Akkerman IG etc.
But normally a Waterman Blue or any classic blue ink that you know should give you a hint, on what type ink, the pen needs :)

Thom.
July 4th, 2023, 03:09 PM
... What color would you prefer? ...
That's not the worst approach.:)

Carpio
July 5th, 2023, 12:17 AM
Hello,

I have more than one bottle of Waterman brown ink if you still want to buy that colour. I wasn't aware that it was more difficult to get than the other colours.
Very kind of you, Chrissy. I'll send a pm now.

When searching for the Watermans ink on pen websites, I have learnt that 'Watermans Brown' has been discontinued. Bugger!
I also came across 'Blackbird Brown'. It looks nice, and I'm guessing (happy to be corrected) that particular ink would be ok for 'vintage/antique' Swans and the like? Couldn't find a 'write-up' about the 'good/bad' points of said ink anywhere. (well, the two places I spend much of the day at, Chrissy's and 'mountain of ink'.

Carpio

Robalone
July 5th, 2023, 12:58 AM
Hey. You could do worse than go to a site that has Diamine …and choose some of the browns there !
80 ml bottles for the cheap price they go for is excellent value , and it’s great ink !!
Also Pelikan Edelstein‘Smokey quartz is good !
And Pilot's Iroshizuku ..Tsu kushi and ….the other one ? Are great browns .
Robert Oster's café crema is great ….
All of these are kind to vintage pens
Go nuts 👍🏻👍🏻😎

Always check and compare price !!!!! Some sites charge ridiculous prices that are easily found way cheaper elsewhere….
And check shipping… that gets wildly out of hand quite often too. 😡

Chrissy
July 5th, 2023, 02:11 AM
I would also choose a Diamine ink for any pen whether vintage, flex or not. I've probably reviewed several that I really like. I remember Saddle and Chocolate in particular. Diamine has been making inks for more than 150 years so their standard inks are suitable for any pens made between then and now. Obviously I wouldn't use a heavily saturated sheeny or shimmery ink in a pen that wasn't easier to clean out than a vintage pen with a sac but they still offer a great choice for brown inks of all shades.

Some newer inks might be labelled as "boutique inks" but Diamine is not one of them. There are other brands I would trust in vintage pens and I would start with brands that were around when those pens were made, since many produced their own pens and inks. Parker, Pelikan, Waterman's, Kaweco and Sheaffer immediately come to mind but I accept that some have changed ink formulations over time. They have to find ingredients they can still obtain now.

The bottle of Waterman's Absolute Brown that I thought I had seems to have either disappeared or is hiding somewhere I haven't yet looked. All I found so far is an old bottle of Havana. I don't remember if this colour was changed when Absolute Brown came out or not.

Carpio
July 5th, 2023, 03:50 AM
Hello,

Hi rob - When I do my main monthly order for inks and pen, it's an addict thing :rofl: I'm getting the 'Raw Sienna' that lizEF and Chrissy reviewed, so I'll take a gander at the Pelikan Edelstein‘ Smokey quartz, and the Robert Oster's café crema. I knew about Oster's because of looking for browns last week, but didn't even consider Pelikan, so I'll go and mooch on Chrissy's site and mountains for a review.
Iroshizuku - I must admit, I didn't even think of looking there. Good shout. Thanks, but I know to be careful when using that type of ink on vintage sacs, but it wouldn't hurt to buy for a modern pen.

regards,

Carpio

Stands on Feet
July 5th, 2023, 04:06 AM
Chrissy,

According to Mountain of Ink, Havana Brown is the old name for Absolute Brown.

Thom.
July 5th, 2023, 05:28 AM
A slight flex works with all kinds of fountain pen inks. What you call "wet" is high ink flow due to low ink surface tension. With a low surface tension, however, the ink film between the nib jaws tears earlier. What I once did here with the R&K Sepia and the Brause "Rosenfeder" would not have worked with a low surface tension ink. https://youtu.be/YSkQz2MHk5I?t=65

BlkWhiteFilmPix
July 5th, 2023, 06:25 AM
Dominant Industry Milky Way Blues's shading might work for you.

Chrissy
July 5th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Chrissy,

According to Mountain of Ink, Havana Brown is the old name for Absolute Brown.

Yes thank you. :) I was aware of the change of name but have no idea if they also changed the formula at the same time. :)

Chrissy
July 5th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Hello,

Hi rob - When I do my main monthly order for inks and pen, it's an addict thing :rofl: I'm getting the Burnt Sienna that lizEF and Chrissy reviewed, so I'll take a gander at the Pelikan Edelstein‘ Smokey quartz, and the Robert Oster's café crema. I knew about Oster's because of looking for browns last week, but didn't even consider Pelikan, so I'll go and mooch on Chrissy's site and mountains for a review.
Iroshizuku - I must admit, I didn't even think of looking there. Good shout. Thanks, but I know to be careful when using that type of ink on vintage sacs, but it wouldn't hurt to buy for a modern pen.

regards,

Carpio
Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz is another very nice ink that I reviewed on here and on my website. However, it was an annual Edelstein LE some years ago so may be a little unobtanium now although there was one for sale on here recently.

Carpio
July 7th, 2023, 07:29 AM
Hello,

I managed to find a couple of bottles of Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz. Put them in the basket. Went to join the website to be able to buy the ink as no guest purchase seemed available..... Malaysia. Yep, MALAYSIA! So went and bought 2 bottles of the elusive Watermans Brown. Just arrived this morning, so will be adding that to the vintage pens when the wife brings the bottles into me when comes home from work.
I'm also looking for an Aussie ink from 'Toucan', but can't seem to find any Toucan suppliers here in the UK. I've tried the websites I'm aware of, which isn't a huge amount.

Carpio

RobJohnson
July 7th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Good result, perhaps you can post the results when you have tried the ink in the Swan.

Yazeh
July 7th, 2023, 09:48 AM
Is this the Toucan you want?
You can buy it directly from the manufacturer:

https://tintex.com.au/product/toucan-technical-drawing-ink/

Sent from my SM-A037W using Tapatalk

Carpio
July 7th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Hello,

Thanks for that Yazeh. That's the company. I entered details for a sell just to see if an international sell could take place but it doesn't look like they ship overseas. It might be worth my contacting them to see if they have a dealer in the UK, or even in europe. Thanks again for going out your way. Appreciated.

Carpio

Yazeh
July 7th, 2023, 12:25 PM
@Carpio, always a pleasure!
See if this seller sells to UK:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toucan-Technical-Drawing-Ink-30mls-17-Vibrant-Colours-/171437715297?var=&hash=item6d8a2c83cd#shpCntId

Thom.
July 7th, 2023, 02:58 PM
... Pelikan Edelstein ...
These are inks with a relatively low surface tension. My friend Martin shows us this with a dip pen on unfavorable paper.

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/download/file.php?id=46916

dneal
July 11th, 2023, 02:39 PM
If so, avoid pigment (De Atramentis)...

Great post, but one point regarding De Atramentis. The caution is warranted, but only for their "Document" inks.

Their standard inks are about as fountain pen friendly as you'll find.

Yazeh
July 11th, 2023, 02:44 PM
If so, avoid pigment (De Atramentis)...

Great post, but one point regarding De Atramentis. The caution is warranted, but only for their "Document" inks.

Their standard inks are about as fountain pen friendly as you'll find.

and artist series. Yes you're right I should have precised.

dneal
July 11th, 2023, 04:44 PM
No worries, and good catch on the artist series. I discovered their ink while stationed in Germany, and became a fan.

Just trying to prevent the internet myth for Herr Jansen.

Thom.
July 11th, 2023, 05:21 PM
No worries, and good catch on the artist series. I discovered their ink while stationed in Germany, and became a fan.

Just trying to prevent the internet myth for Herr Jansen.

If so, let's visit Mr. Jansen for a moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4-MBkxvhY

Schaumburg_Swan
July 11th, 2023, 06:53 PM
If so, let's visit Mr. Jansen for a moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj4-MBkxvhY

Nice video, thanks for it.
Didn't know he started with IG ink...

Thom.
July 11th, 2023, 07:19 PM

Nice video, thanks for it.
Didn't know he started with IG ink...
Yes, but I suspect he has fallen away from the true faith.:) https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?t=2684#p18463

Thom.
July 12th, 2023, 11:43 AM
So, what is Mr. Jansen writing there: "My opinion: No inks with iron gall compounds in any fountain pen."
The IG ink that Martin uses at the top left is a feather type ink that really doesn't work in a fountain pen. Fountain pen compatible IG inks are fine. But what you should note, no coated fountain pen nibs (especially no gold-coated stainless steel nibs, because the inks can peel off the coating when they concentrate), no metal applications that are not intended for permanent ink contact because the inks are as acidic as vinegar essence. And if possible, don't let the ink dry in the fountain pen (I've already destroyed an ink sack this way).

KBeezie
July 24th, 2023, 08:52 PM
Mostly varied by paper for me, though some basic colors I've liked using in some of my vintage semi-flex and flex pens (Waterman 55 Flex Medium, old 1910s Banker's Pen Flex EF, Conklin 4P, Sheaffer Oversized Balance with a Flex fine, WASP Oversized with a semiflex EF, Wahl Rosewood pen with a #2 semi-flex needlepoint, etc)

The ones I've found that are pretty well behaved, easy to clean, and tends to avoid feathering : Montblanc Irish Green, Waterman Inspired Blue and Mysterious Blue, and J.Herbin 1670 Ocean Blue (pre-shimmer before 2015).

Ones that worked excellent against feathering, but requires a little more care (ie: don't leave in for weeks, refill every so often, etc) : R&K Salix and Scabiosa (iron gall), Platinum Classic Forest Black (love this in my Sheaffer OS flex fine, also iron gall).

Fun but not too feather resistant, and best to use in a very wide channel feed (like most of my 1920s pens) : J.Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor.