PDA

View Full Version : Pearly blue and orange swirl Gallatin

InvisibleMan
September 15th, 2013, 10:12 PM
http://www.pensbylyleross.com/gallatin-4-blue-and-orange-swirl-converter-fountain-pen.html

I just polished this one up today. It is a large (14mm cap threads) Gallatin style fountain pen in a pearly swirl of dark mica blue, light blue and orange, with just a hint of gold here and there. I quite like how it turned out. I tried not to make the resin too over the top sparkly - just wanted it pearly enough to move and dance a bit in the light.

The cap threads are 14mm, #6 JoWo nib. I put a polished steel nib and matching clip on it for the photos. Anybody think a two-tone nib and gold plated clip in the same style would look better? It can always be changed.

As always, happy to answer any questions, take any critiques/suggestions. Thanks for looking.

-Lyle

Feardorcha
September 15th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Another beautiful pen. Looks to me like you're going for a natural elements series (first water and now fire).

I think I prefer the clip/nib as steel. The gold against the orange coloured resin would be lost but the steel draws in the eye.

drgoretex
September 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Beautiful. The shape is superb, and I agree with the above, chrome/steel is the right choice for the clip/nib.

I guess you will need my address now? :D

Ken

InvisibleMan
September 16th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks! I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Amazing how flourescent light sucks some of the character out of it though. I shoot my photos in a light box using "natural" light bulbs, so the pictures show what it looks like in sunlight. In my office, the blue pearl is much subdued. It just occurred to me that this may be the reason that I often think the color is off in my photos. I usually take the photos at night with natural light bulbs, then upload while looking at the pen under a flourescent light. My camera might be smarter than I thought:)