PDA

View Full Version : A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Pen Fans!

Without a doubt, the best aspect of manufacturing custom pens is that my customers are always coming to me with new ideas for custom creations. If I only did pens in a production setting, I think that it would be easy to get stuck in creative ruts.

Usually when I create a completely custom pen, I don't bother with making any big announcement, but I think that this one deserves a little recognition to my customers who might appreciate the design.

A client of mine approached me with an idea for a custom double ended pen. The idea was to have two separate ink reservoirs with two different nibs all in the same pen. I really liked the idea, but I was worried about whether or not having two decent sized ink reserviors would make the pen really big and awkward. After about 3-4 prototypes, we came up with what I think really nailed the design. See below....

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DEPearl.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DEPearl2.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DEPearl3.jpg

As you can see, the pen will be an Eyedropper filler only. With the first couple of prototypes, we tried to make it long enough for cartridges, but this extra length definitely made the pen too long. As is, this pen comes in at a touch over 6" capped. I didn't want to get much longer than this, so Eyedropper only was the best route.

But with a smaller design like this, how much will ink capacity suffer? This was my real concern with this design. It turns out to be no issue at all. Each reservoir will hold 1.25mL, In comparision, a converter holds a bit less than .5mL. So even with these smaller reservoirs, the pen still holds nearly triple the capacity of a converter. Almost 6 times the capacity if you count both reservoirs. Not only that, but I could probably customize the interior of the reservoirs to hold even a little bit more.

One might ask about the inherent issue of an Eyedropper burping. This should be eliminated on this pen. The phenomenon of ED burping is where an Eyedropper pen will burp a small amount of ink at the very end of a fill, due to a very large ink reservoir. When the fill gets to the very end of a very large ink reservoir like most eyedroppers, the pen can lose a little vacuum due air being compressible and "elastic". Since these reservoirs are smaller, this should never happen with this pen.

The obvious benefits of this pen (besides the "cool" factor) is that you can have two pens in one. Two nibs of two different tip sizes, and two different inks if you like. Also visible ink reservoirs.

Here are photos of the pen next to a standard Pearl for comparison purposes.

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DENextToPearl.jpg

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DENextToPearl2.jpg

As you can see, the pen will be a little longer that the standard Pearl when one cap is removed, but not to the point where it would be unwieildy.

If anyone is interested in a pen of the same design, obviously the transparent ink reservoir can be any color, and the caps/sections can be any material. And no reason that this needs to be based on the Pearl. I don't see why this idea couldn't be adaped to any of our designs.

Cost of this design will be $350 with two steel nibs. $450 with one steel and one 18k nib, and $550 with two 18k nibs. If you are interested, you can email me to inquire.

Thanks!

Brian at Edison

tandaina
September 16th, 2013, 11:45 AM
That is FUN Brian! I really like it. :)

KrazyIvan
September 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM
The Force is strong with this one. Reminds me of the old fountain pens with the mech pencil on the opposite side.

Laura N
September 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Wonderful!

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks! And Ivan, that does look a little "Sithy", huh? :)

Feardorcha
September 16th, 2013, 12:03 PM
I really like the idea of this.

Just out of interest, how much does the pen weigh? It looks like it could be quite light. Does only filling one reservoir effect the pens balance in any way?

Jeph
September 16th, 2013, 12:15 PM
The 1907 Parker #100 Bookkeeper's special is born again. Neat!
Parker's could be taken apart in the middle and used as 2 pens (hint, hint) :whip:

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Just out of interest, how much does the pen weigh? It looks like it could be quite light. Does only filling one reservoir effect the pens balance in any way?

Good questions. In all honesty, the pen is already shipped to the owner, so I can't weight it now.

But based on a standard Pearl being 22g capped, and 16g uncapped, I would guess that this pen would be around 24-26g capped, and 18-20g with one cap off.

But this is a guesstimate.

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 12:21 PM
The 1907 Parker #100 Bookkeeper's special is born again. Neat!
Parker's could be taken apart in the middle and used as 2 pens (hint, hint) :whip:

Not a bad idea, but I would have to re-design. If this pen separated in the middle, then each individual pen would be really really stubby and small!

Just thinking out loud, I think that the pen would have to be designed to be used as all one solid piece, or as two separated pieces, but not both at the same time when in use.

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I did receive more than a couple of responses wondering how you would know which end is which.

There's more than a couple of solutions....

1. The Edison Engraving is on the barrel. When you read the engraving right-side-up, you'll know when end you have on each side.

2. Ink Color could do this.

3. It's possible to put a very small engraving at the base of each cap. The tip size could be engraved very small and subtle.

4. Once cap could have a clip, and then one does not.

Pelikan-Vera
September 16th, 2013, 12:38 PM
really neat. Vera

Jon Szanto
September 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Brilliant!

heath
September 16th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Love it!

dr.grace
September 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Love this idea! For those of us who have difficulty making nib decisions, this would multiply the problem! I'm now pondering which combination of nibs I'd choose.

reprieve
September 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Awesome! :rockon:

drgoretex
September 16th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Brian, this is a very cool idea. I have seen double-enders before, but this is the first that I have seen that actually looks GOOD capped or uncapped. The shape, like your 'pearl' style pens is excellent - quite aesthetically pleasing.

Well, now. I may just have to contact you about one of these :)

Ken

Feardorcha
September 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Good questions. In all honesty, the pen is already shipped to the owner, so I can't weight it now.

But based on a standard Pearl being 22g capped, and 16g uncapped, I would guess that this pen would be around 24-26g capped, and 18-20g with one cap off.

Thanks. Is it also safe to assume this pen's cap(s) can't be posted?

ardgedee
September 16th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Can you post both caps at the same time? :crazy_pilot:

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM

Thanks. Is it also safe to assume this pen's cap(s) can't be posted?

Correct. Unless I engineered a very strange taper into the cap, you can't post a cap onto a cap.

Actually, I don't think that it would be possible at all, since the section and nib demand a certain amount of thickness, not allowing this taper.

Unless it was really long, and weird looking, or perhaps threaded onto the back of the cap.

But then it would definitely be weirdly long....you probably wouldn't want to write with a pen that long....might be really super-imbalanced.

trhall
September 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Love how the pen turned out. Cannot wait to get it in my hands. Thank you for your patience in the design process, Brian!

We considered several points in the design stages, including different color finials for different colors, a cap with clip, etc. In the end, this design was more simple (with the translucent body), and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Look for a review once I have a chance to use it.

writingrav
September 16th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I love this. You are killing my future budget before I can amass it. Now I have two of your new pens on my wish list. I assume you'll be in Philly in January?

heath
September 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Honestly, in terms of pure aesthetics I wouldn't change a thing on this pen. I think any protrusion, a la clip, would ruin it. I think the simple elegance of a logo direction is perfect.

Now that being said, if I had this one in hand already, I would probably do a few things different for a second one. Maybe a chrome accent ring at each cap or a finish/material more like the TWSBI Micarta without a translucent body.

Really loving the concept here as I am a 5 pen plus EDC guy because of nib/ink combos I use.

Mags
September 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Yes it is a pen that interests me. One end needs a cap with clip or a slip on clip like Kaweco. I don't mind eye droppers. I do like the flexibility if the pen could unscrew in the middle.

The steel and gold nib combo I like.

One thing with eye droppers is an ink window please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Love how the pen turned out. Cannot wait to get it in my hands. Thank you for your patience in the design process, Brian!

We considered several points in the design stages, including different color finials for different colors, a cap with clip, etc. In the end, this design was more simple (with the translucent body), and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Look for a review once I have a chance to use it.

Since trhall jumped in as the owner of this pen, I'll take a minute to thank him. The design was largely his idea, and I was just guiding him through what was possible and feasible.

Similar to the Collier, this pen was designed more by a customer then by me! Such awesome clients to work with! :)

bgray
September 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I love this. You are killing my future budget before I can amass it. Now I have two of your new pens on my wish list. I assume you'll be in Philly in January?

Yep, we'll be in Philly. And based on how this pen has been received so far, no reason that we wouldn't make some inventory of these for the show.

writingrav
September 17th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Great. I'm hoping I can save enough for this and the pump filler. I have my work cut out for myself

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kaisnowbird
September 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Just a totally awesome pen! (Or should I use plural in this case?)

The only hesitance for me is its size. Then again, I assume it could be a bit shorter if it comes with smaller nibs, hence shorter caps.

caribbean_skye
September 17th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Wow, that's a phenomenal looking pen and eyedropper to boot. I like the streamlined look and personally would prefer no clip.

Much like WritingRav, I'll have to do some serious saving up for this and other pens of yours. Too bad you don't do a lay-away plan, or payment plan! :)

Great job on the pen and thanks trhall for the design. Wonder how many other pen designers are now going to start doing something similar.

bgray
September 17th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Just a totally awesome pen! (Or should I use plural in this case?)

The only hesitance for me is its size. Then again, I assume it could be a bit shorter if it comes with smaller nibs, hence shorter caps.

Yeah, I think that a Pearette-based model would be smaller. Not a heck of a lot, however. I don't think that there's any way to shave off like 1/2" or more without sacrificing ink capacity. Thanks!

bgray
September 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Wow, that's a phenomenal looking pen and eyedropper to boot. I like the streamlined look and personally would prefer no clip.

Much like WritingRav, I'll have to do some serious saving up for this and other pens of yours. Too bad you don't do a lay-away plan, or payment plan! :)

Great job on the pen and thanks trhall for the design. Wonder how many other pen designers are now going to start doing something similar.

Honestly, I've had people pay in installments. I'm not sure if you are joking around, but it can be done. :)

KrazyIvan
September 17th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Would it be possible to make one ink reservoir smaller than the other? That way you could allocate more ink to thirstier nibs and less to say an EF nib.

bgray
September 17th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Would it be possible to make one ink reservoir smaller than the other? That way you could allocate more ink to thirstier nibs and less to say an EF nib.

Sure, no problem, and a good idea.

caribbean_skye
September 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Honestly, I've had people pay in installments. I'm not sure if you are joking around, but it can be done. :)

Well, it was said in jest with a serious undertone, if that makes sense. After the new year I will have to shoot you an email about this very thing. Question is, which pen to start with first. Hmmm

KrazyIvan
September 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM
You know, keeping the pen as is but using a red acrylic for the caps would really make this look like Darth Maul's dual light saber. :ph34r:;)

bgray
September 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM
You know, keeping the pen as is but using a red acrylic for the caps would really make this look like Darth Maul's dual light saber. :ph34r:;)

....and then it's on.....

trhall
September 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I received the pen today. It's a bit too dark to take good outdoor photos, so I inked up the pen and took a few pics with my phone. Wanted to show the colors ink the ink view barrel, which allow me to see which end is inked with what color.

It is very fun flipping between the two sides to get different colors. The pen is currently inked with Diamine Sherwood Green and Diamine WES Imperial Blue (which looks more purple than blue). Both nibs are Mike Masuyama 0.2mm ground.

The pen is slightly longer than the standard Pearl, as Brian showed in his photos. But it isn't too long/unwieldy. In short, I _love_ the pen! Originally I wanted to have him make two for me (so I could carry four colors of ink), but held off until I had one in my hand. I should have just had him make two at once!

More details in a forthcoming review, once I've had more time with the pen. Thanks so much, Brian. This pen is PERFECTION.

Laura N
September 18th, 2013, 06:06 PM
That is really splendid. Did Brian have Mike Masuyama grind the nibs for you? I have one of his nibs on an Edison, and it is fantastic.

trhall
September 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM
That is really splendid. Did Brian have Mike Masuyama grind the nibs for you?

Yes, I had Brian send them to Mike for me. Mike has done SEVERAL nibs for me, and I love them all. Other than Japanese nibs, I usually have to go with custom ground. These are both extremely smooth and a true 0.2mm. Love them.

jde
September 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
<snip>
This pen is PERFECTION.

Thomas,
I don't believe I've ever heard you say that about a pen before!
Really happy for you, and so glad the pursuit of it has worked out so "perfectly."
--Julie

Honey Mustard
September 19th, 2013, 12:42 PM
This would be perfect for a note taking pen! Instead of having to take the time to switch between my stub for notes and xf for marginalia I could just spin the pen around. I'll definitely have to put this one on my wishlist.

trhall
September 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I don't believe I've ever heard you say that about a pen before!
Really happy for you, and so glad the pursuit of it has worked out so "perfectly."

Yes, Julie. Probably because it was custom designed for me, much as your Custom Edison (http://peaceablewriter.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/tale25/) was. It is a lovely pen, and am happy Brian was patient in working through a few prototypes until we got it perfect.

trhall
September 19th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I left the pen stored in a pen wrap vertically (with one nib point downwards) all night in my work bag, and took it to the office today. Both nibs writing started immediately with no skipping, and there was no ink burping/leaking. Also using it throughout the day (switching sides frequently), I encountered no issues with either nib.

I took a few better photos today. I think this lighting better shows off the ink colors. Also note that I chose the darkest translucent gray material Brian had for the ink view. I wanted the pen to look a bit stealthy. (The pen isn't bulging on the end; that's an artifact from the pancake lens I used to take the photos.)

Hopefully, comparing it in size to a TWSBI Diamond 540 will help people see that the pen isn't too large. Note that I had Brian make this as a "skinny" Pearl. It has a slightly smaller barrel diameter to help minimize the step down to the section.

dr.grace
September 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
The dimensions seem perfect. I like it a lot! Between this and the pump-filler, Brian has definitely earned my admiration. Beautiful and functional designs!

Mags
September 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I may need to start the layaway program soon this pen is so appealing.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

trhall
September 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Pen is still writing well. Loving the flexibility of having the two ink/nib combination more and more.

trhall
October 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM
I cleaned the double-ended Pearl earlier this past week. Had no issues with any leaking at all. Even had no issues when I removed one section to flush it with water and shook the pen to get water out. Loving this pen!

heath
October 14th, 2013, 05:32 PM
The more I look at it the more I like it. That's saying a lot because I was high on it to begin with.

One question, how long does each side of ink seem to last for you with the nib / ink reservoir sizes?

trhall
October 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Ink use is obviously dependent on the type of nibs you use. I have two 0.2mm nibs in mine (XXXXF), so they last me a long time. But also remember you can do different sizes for each side. That would be useful for a nib that is wetter/broader vs a "normal" (finer) writing nib.

Each reservoir in mine holds 1.25ml, and a cartridge is around .5ml, per Brian's original post. So, over 2x capacity of a converter for each side.

bgray
December 11th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Below is an update addressing concerns that some people had regarding the possibility of a downward facing nib leaking.....

At the time of announcing this pen, some people had concerns regarding whether having an extra ink reservoir could lead to ink leaking out the nib, since one nib could be pointing down. This concern is legitimate, and as a result, at the time of announcing this pen, I was recommending that this pen remains a desk pen, and not an "on-the-go" pen.

Well since then, we've sold plenty of these pens, and we've also been running our own tests.

I'm happy to share that there's no reason to be concerned with this issue anymore than you would any other pen. I haven't had one owner report back to me with any leaks, spurts, or problems. I've found the same results with my own personal double ended pen that's been residing on my desk for the last couple of months as a daily user. I'll attach a photo below showing how I've been storing the pen among my daily users.

http://edisonpen.com/userfiles/image/DailyUsers.jpg
(I realize that a lot of you might want to know what my dailys are. Left to Right....Beaumont Pneumatic, Encore Bulb Filler, Pearl Double Ended, Menlo Pump Filler, Encore 2012 LE AP, Parker Vacumatic, Chilton)

So the Double Ended Pen has been stored with the nib down for a couple of months now, and has been used extensively with no problem. When I test for nib weeping, I'll pay attention to whether or not a feed fin is saturated. If 2-3 fins become saturated, then no big deal, that's what they are designed to do....contain ink burps. However, this pen has not shown a single fin saturated. I have also ran a twisted paper towel inside inside the caps, looking for any traces of ink. No traces. I also have customers reporting the same results. And then I also have customers who are taking the pens to and from work, also with no problems.

So my initial speculation is showing to be true. The ink reserviors are simply not large enough to have a significant effect on pushing ink out the nib when the nibs are facing down under normal conditions.

Now obviously, I wouldn't recommend putting one of these pens in your shirt pocket and then going for a jog, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend that with any Edison Pen!

I will keep running these tests, and I'll keep asking for owner feedback. But for now, my recommendation is to use these pens on your desk confidently with the pen laying on it's side, or with a nib down. If you want to take the pen with you on-the-go, then just use the same common sense that you would with any other fountain pen. If this recommendation changes over time as we keep getting feedback and doing our own tests, I'll update my recommendation.

As a side note, we have been playing around with other designs as Double Ended Pens. We successfully made a Morgan double ended, and we are currently playing around with a Beaumont, so if you have interest in a Double Ended pen, it looks like most of our models can be made this way.

If anyone has any questions, please reach out!

Brian at Edison

writingrav
December 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I have been carrying my double nib Pearl in my shirt pocket for weeks with no problem. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

trhall
December 11th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I haven't had any problems either. My double ended Pearl is taken to work every day and I've never had a drop of ink in the cap or any fins filled with ink. It's working well.

heath
December 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
If everyone could refrain from mentioning this pen again until I get through the holidays that would be great. (sarcasm)

Tracy Lee
December 12th, 2013, 06:49 PM
If everyone could refrain from mentioning this pen again until I get through the holidays that would be great. (sarcasm)

You and me both. ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AltecGreen
December 12th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Here is a vintage Chameleon double ended pen.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/6913845925_0ba771cf20_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7953903@N03/6913845925/)

Chi Town
December 12th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Man, that is some pen that Brian Grey came up with, hey? I've blown so much $$$$ lately that I just can't order one right now and that's killing me! Way to go Brian, your a Stud!

trhall
December 14th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Here is a vintage Chameleon double ended pen.

Thank you! I remember seeing a similar photo somewhere but couldn't find the source link. Your photo is much better than the one I saw.

trhall
January 24th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Brian Gray posted some sweet pics of a new double ended Pearl on Twitter that is even better looking than mine!

https://twitter.com/edisonpenco/status/426768756837076992

reprieve
February 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
I keep looking for more photos of Edison double-ended pens (I'd like to see some in different materials)… Is there a photo gallery somewhere? I don't see one on the SmugMug page.

bgray
February 10th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I keep looking for more photos of Edison double-ended pens (I'd like to see some in different materials)… Is there a photo gallery somewhere? I don't see one on the SmugMug page.

Yes, sorry....we haven't uploaded a lot of our photos to the galleries yet. I will try to get this done soon, but we are leaving for the LA Pen Show shortly, so no promises. Whenever I can get the gallery updated, I'll put the link here.

But just so you know, we've done almost all Pearls. Almost all of them have been done in either black with dark tint barrel, or red/black ebonite with amber tint barrel. One Pearl with a clip, and one Morgan. So although we've made a lot, most are looking pretty similar....very little variation in materials/styles.

trhall
March 31st, 2014, 06:55 PM

Brian recently posted in another thread that he is going to put up a dedicated gallery for DE pens. Yeah!

trhall
March 31st, 2014, 06:58 PM
So I took my DE pen on a flight today for the first time. The downward facing nib put some ink in the cap but the section had no ink on it. I just emptied the cap into a sink and rinsed it. The upward facing nib had no issues, just like all my other pens.

The result with the downward facing nib was as I expected.

Will this prevent me from flying with the pen inked? Nope!

reprieve
March 31st, 2014, 06:59 PM

Brian recently posted in another thread that he is going to put up a dedicated gallery for DE pens. Yeah!

Thanks, trhall! I saw his post (in this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6441-Behind-the-Scenes-at-Edison-Making-a-Menlo-Pump-Filler!) for those who might be interested). I'm really looking forward to perusing the new double-ended pen gallery!

trhall
March 31st, 2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks, trhall! I saw his post (in this thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6441-Behind-the-Scenes-at-Edison-Making-a-Menlo-Pump-Filler!) for those who might be interested). I'm really looking forward to perusing the new double-ended pen gallery!

Thanks for linking to the post. I figured you had seen it but others may not have. Love my DE pen.

bgray
April 5th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Hi Everyone Again!

Sorry it took so long (crazy busy), but I went ahead and got some of the better Double Ended Pens that we've done, and put them into a gallery. I probably won't have time to add this to the main website quite yet, but when I do that, the photos will be the same as what you'll see below anyways....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/Pens/Double-Ended-Pens/38274036_CsVNq8#!i=3161414338&k=jq7mV3S

trhall
April 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I went ahead and got some of the better Double Ended Pens that we've done, and put them into a gallery.

Thanks, Brian. The material choices everyone made are neat to see. Such variety!

Mags
April 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Lovely work and photos to match!

bgray
April 5th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks!

And I had enough time to get the additional page on the website...

http://edisonpen.com/index.cfm/2014/4/5/Double-Ended-Pen-Section-Added-to-the-Site

reprieve
April 5th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Hooray!! Thanks for posting these photos, Brian.

That tinted translucent DE Pearl looks pretty sweet! I liked seeing a couple of DE pens with clips, too.

Now I'm trying to decide between the DE Pearl and Morgan. Hmm...

trhall
September 5th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I wrote up a post on my blog documenting the making of this pen (http://www.penucopia.com/making-of-the-edison-double-ended-pearl/). Hopefully it gives more useful background into how this pen came to be...