PDA

View Full Version : Scammers at Work

Zaptrax
August 6th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Are there no FPGeeks.com moderators? This same scammer has been trying this scam on members here for the last year. How do we stop this?

Chrissy
August 7th, 2023, 12:06 AM
Duplicate Post. (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/40336-Scammers-at-work-on-Fountain-Pen-Geeks) There is absolutely no point in you posting this on every forum. It won't make any difference.

Zaptrax
August 7th, 2023, 08:35 AM
I didn't post this on "every forum". I posted in on the "For Sale" forum, on the "Want to Buy or Trade" forum, and on the "Site Feedback" forum. I'm guessing you are right, it will make no difference because you and others are more interested in criticizing me for making 3 posts on the same subject than trying to close down the account of a scammer.

Zaptrax
August 7th, 2023, 08:47 AM
And snakiness aside, it may do good to post this message on several forums. Some, perhaps not many, will bookmark and visit on a given day only one sub-forum page of FPG, for instance "For Sale" or "Want to Buy or Trade". If that person sees my post then they may not fall for the "Hey, Buddy" scammer. It will have been worth my efforts.

Chrissy
August 7th, 2023, 09:04 AM
No it won't make any difference to a scammer how often you cross post it on other forums. These scammers have all been mentioned before and nothing has previously stopped them.

JulieParadise
August 7th, 2023, 02:07 PM
And snakiness aside, it may do good to post this message on several forums. Some, perhaps not many, will bookmark and visit on a given day only one sub-forum page of FPG, for instance "For Sale" or "Want to Buy or Trade". If that person sees my post then they may not fall for the "Hey, Buddy" scammer. It will have been worth my efforts.

I would like to thank you for posting this. It may neither stop the spammer nor will it alert a moderator to admonish or block the spammer, but it certainly made me and probably others aware of this thing, that must have flown under my radar in this forum. :thumb:

Zaptrax
August 7th, 2023, 03:48 PM
A Berlinerin! Gerne. I'll be headed back in time for Berlin Art Week, the Pelikan Hub, and all the beauty of Berlin in Herbst.

calamus
August 7th, 2023, 06:36 PM
That same thief, or one of his/her buddies tried to run that same scam on me, twice. I just politely told them that I don't send money to unknown people with no track record, and that there is a history of forum members getting cheated that way.

Chrissy
August 8th, 2023, 01:47 AM
I didn't post this on "every forum". I posted in on the "For Sale" forum, on the "Want to Buy or Trade" forum, and on the "Site Feedback" forum. I'm guessing you are right, it will make no difference because you and others are more interested in criticizing me for making 3 posts on the same subject than trying to close down the account of a scammer.
You were incorrect and unfair when you made this personal critical comment about me. :(

Whenever I come to the forum I always select to see "New Posts" like many other members probably do. I saw that the first three posts were your identical posts. I replied straightaway to the questions you asked in your post that was correctly posted in the Site Feedback forum

Duplicate posting in other forums that don't accurately represent the subject matter is not what members regularly do intentionally because it's called Cross-Posting that is something undesirable. In fact you may already know that many forums with moderators or administrators rule it isn't allowed. If you had posted these three posts on FPN or Reddit the moderator responses to you would have been quick but less desirable.

There is no Classified Item For Sale here nor is there a Want To Buy or Trade item. There is a problem with scammers sending Private Messages to Members. It isn't a new problem and it has been on here for a while. I would place a bet suggesting that almost everyone who posts a Want to Buy ad in this forum has received such a message over the past few years. I remember reading and posting about it ages ago. Also, I regularly warned new members who posted WTB ads that there were scammers at large on here and they should be aware of what was happening and to not respond to any email addresses in PM's that said they knew someone who had this item.

When I first saw all three of your identical posts they had not been posted for very long. Therefore I didn't know whether you were continuing to post more or if you had stopped at three. When you posted your reply criticising my response that was the first one to answer your questions accurately I didn't really care.

We don't just have scammers on here we also have spammers. They post multiple identical posts every day that show up as a list of identical New Posts on several different forums and it wasn't my fault that your three identical posts may have looked similar to that format.

Now you have some responses to two of your identical posts. Maybe you wanted responses split between all three. No-one else actually directly answered the two questions that you asked. The next time you post I will remember your response to me after I answered your questions and I will be sure to avoid reading your posts again. :(

Good luck in trying to "close down the account of a scammer" you will need it.

Betweenthelines
August 10th, 2023, 03:38 PM
FYI user “prettydiva” is also a scammer, just responded to my WTB by copying and pasting my own ad for the same pen from years ago (dumb).